Mucking around today I found a Mack model I had never heard of before. According to the production listing I have of Mack Trucks from 1900 to 1990, the MP404X was built only from 1976 to 1978. The entire production was only 20 chassis. The parts pictures I was able to see are something else. The truck I looked up had a Detroit 12V71, Clark model 8820 transmission, all wheel planetary drive using Mack CRS139/140 carriers, 29.5 x 35 tires, weird articulating suspension, really a strange truck. Has anyone here ever seen one of these?

Here's the parts picture of the cab and hood

post-6084-0-84187100-1306030559_thumb.jp

• Like 1

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

Mucking around today I found a Mack model I had never heard of before. According to the production listing I have of Mack Trucks from 1900 to 1990, the MP404X was built only from 1976 to 1978. The entire production was only 20 chassis. The parts pictures I was able to see are something else. The truck I looked up had a Detroit 12V71, Clark model 8820 transmission, all wheel planetary drive using Mack CRS139/140 carriers, 29.5 x 35 tires, weird articulating suspension, really a strange truck. Has anyone here ever seen one of these?

Never saw on those Rhasler, kinda like it though. randyp

Not sure if its related to the Mack Pack, a hulking 2 axle articulating belly dump truck (or side tipper). Very few were made and 20 sounds about right. I don't believe any are still around.

• Like 1

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

It is curious that Mack would use a vendor engine in such a machine. Perhaps with the E9 still in development in the late '70s the engineers didn't feel their own V8 was ready to go.

Gregg

Gregg,

The M series Macks almost all used big Cummins and Detroits. There were a few that used Mack engines such as the smaller single axle dumps and the M15, an M that used a tandem set of 80 mack rears with a Mack 865/866 V8.

The M30 and bigger used Cummins VTA's or Detroit 12v71's or 16V71's.

-Thad

About 15 years ago I passed a yard with one of these things .it kinda looked like a scrapper. Was parked near rt14 and rt31 in crystal lake il. Never seen another one like it.

I wonder where it went. Thats a real piece of Mack history right there. It would have been interesting if Mack went into the construction machinery business. Perfect match, Mack trucks hauling Mack loaders, dozers, excavators etc. Imagine a Mack dozer with a bulldog on the hood. biggrin.gif

-Thad

I wonder where it went. Thats a real piece of Mack history right there. It would have been interesting if Mack went into the construction machinery business. Perfect match, Mack trucks hauling Mack loaders, dozers, excavators etc. Imagine a Mack dozer with a bulldog on the hood. biggrin.gif

I got a Mack Dozer...he's just a pup in this pic.

l.jpg

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!