Mack Rw Superliner Scale Model

Hello everybody!

In the last time I managed to build a little. For example I did the fifth wheel:

5thwheel18.jpg

5thwheel19.jpg

Also, thanks to fitht wheel (Neil), counterman6 (Phil) and sm54 (Steve) I figured out how the air tanks are connected to the brake system, and that allowed me to do this:

chassis12a.jpg

chassis13a.jpg

chassis14a.jpg

Thanks a lot for your great help, friends, and if anybody else has any hints, remarks, photos concerning this model or early Superliners - please be sure to post them here. Thanks in advance, have a nice day

Paweł

that's amazing detail on everything Pawel, that 5th. wheel looks real, right down to the grease!

I was thinking the same thing,amazing detail not only the pushed off grease,but the slide/lock cylinder with coiled air-lines! they have to be tiny! thats one heck of a build right there,i sure will like to see it when done!...............................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

other dog - thanks a lot! That grease got some critic from my colleagues in Poland, so I re-did it and you got to see the results - the critic was helpful. But I had to have it, without the grease the fifth wheel just wouldn't look right, now would it? Say, how do the show trucks in America get around it - all the machine is ultra-clean, and then the fifth wheel?

Mark - I couldn't leave the air line out, neither. It's made of 0.6mm soldering wire painted yellow-orange. Not really hard to do yourself. I'll keep you posted with the build progress!

Thanks for your comments, have a nice day!

Paweł

Well Pavel, I'm usually critical to models but starting to enjoy your work.

Too much grease of course although I like this fifth wheel. The springs are a bit bigger than they must be but it looks good at all.

To grease or not to grease ???

I'm thinking to make absolutely clean fifth wheel on my real truck.

As for a model, I prefer little dirty.

I thought to use epoxy with a black paint but haven't realized.

Here is a couple of images.

I was in Poland 2 weeks ago but went to the south.

Vlad

post-3971-0-69581800-1346872500_thumb.jp

post-3971-0-41230400-1346872575_thumb.jp

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Vladislav, thanks a lot!

Yeah, most truck models are almost toys, I try to make mine a little more real. I wonder what do you mean by "absolutely clean fifth wheel" - will you be able to pull a trailer with it then? I used artist's oil paint for grease, works pretty good.

Thanks for the pictures, I can never get enough of them. If you are in western Poland sometime, please let me know. Thanks for your message, have a nice day

Paweł

Hi Pavel!

I'm driving Poland each time when I go to Germany and Holland.

At least two times a year for 3 last. But with a car or motorbike. Just traveling.

I want too much to make the same way with Mack but I'm not shure of what will happens faster - my Mack trip or your model ready :(

Last time I visited Salt mine in Welicka and went down to Slowakia. I was with my son of 12 years.

I'm thinking to not moving a trailer. That's why I can make fifth wheel clean. To determine it's off-trailer all the time.

Have a good time,

vlad.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Hello Vlad, thanks for your message. Yeah, I heard Wieliczka is really a sight to see. As I said, if you are in western Poland (Poznań or Gorzów), please let me know.

And in the meantime I built the drive shaft for my model - here's what it looks like:

chassis19.jpg

chassis20.jpg

Hope you like it, thanks for reading and have a nice day

Paweł

Where you have the CB now is usually where the radio/ CD player is. The CB is generally mounted on the dash beside the ash-tray. I suppose the CB could be mounted anywhere the driver would like it.

Thanks,

Phil

phil@globaltrucktraders.com

www.globaltrucktraders.com

603-239-7008

• 4 months later...

Hello everybody!

Travels have kept me from working on this one, luckily I hade some break recently and I used this time to do the radiator!

Well the kit's radiator is a Freightliner with molded-on AC condenser, so it was no use to me. I've built a new radiator from styrene sheet and copper mesh, using only the fan shroud of the kit's radiator. I could also save and re-use the fan, after I've built a clutch for it:

radiator01.jpg

radiator04.jpg

Next thing was to paint everything up and connect the hoses. Now it's done and looks like this:

radiator05.jpg

radiator06.jpg

radiator07.jpg

radiator08.jpg

radiator09.jpg

So please help me - if you see any inaccuracies or things that could be fixed, please don't hesitate to post them here. Thanks for reading, have a nice day!

Paweł

• Like 1

Gennulmen, thanks a lot for your comments, and for your kind words!

Vladislav - of course I tried to get as close to the real thing as I could - but I only had photos to go. Some of them came right from this forum!

mackniac, appledog - I sure will! even today I have a little update to show.

Recently I tackled the rear fenders. I started with those kit parts:

fender01.jpg

You can see the rear skirt hangers are already modified "Mack style". I stripped the remainders of the original chrome paint off everything, then puttied and rechromed the parts. After that they looked like below:

fender02.jpg

I also fabricated the brackets to hold the rubber and bought rear skirts printed on white vinyl (a company called Flemming Pedersen makes them).

Done, the fenders looked like this:

fender03.jpg

I just HAD to dry-fit them to the chassis. Here are the photos:

fender04.jpg

fender05.jpg

Hope you like it - thanks for reading and have a nice day!

Paweł

• Like 1

Excellent work, Id like to have you build one of my truck but I doubt I can afford it. I have a friend here from Poland that has custom ho trains made back home they are always perfect. You guys are great at detail work over there, maybe one day I can make the trip with Peter he knows of a few model makers to go see.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Thanks a lot for your comments, gentlemen!

Mackniac - thanks for your kind words!

84superdog - thanks a lot! Yeah, some of my Polish colleagues are amazing. I sure would like to help you, but I don't think I could have this model for you finished before years! But I was thinking about this - if we published a modelling book with detailed photos of your truck and other BMT members' trucks, many modellers from all over the world would build such models for themselves.

Vinny - thanks a lot, looks like you have the talent to be on the top of the page :D

Thanks again, have a nice day

Paweł

• Like 1