Horner Mack

tkobes43

Might be because Horners been out of business for years? both dealerships were taken over by the Bergey truck group, Horner was my home dealer for many many years,and were great in their heyday,but i have nothing good to say about Bergeys,with the exception of the Vineland,NJ branch,they have one of the greatest parts guys on the planet! Melvin Street (streetzy) if he cant get it,it dont exist!............Mark

www.bergeytruckgroup.com

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Melvin is retired almost a year now... He could spit out B Model part numbers for just about anything....

Well,thats good news! if anybody needed some R&R it was Melvin! one of the greatest parts guys ever in my opinion. I was un-aware that he had retired,as i have been out of Jersey almost 4 years now,last time i was in there(vineland) was 09' or early last year.Real shame to see him go,they just dont make guys like that anymore! do you also know Johnny lilla that bought horners old R-model wrecker? my brother still lives in Jersey,and told me the last time he saw him he was driving a PINK autocar wrecker! and the R-model had been sold locally.....................Mark

Might be because Horners been out of business for years? both dealerships were taken over by the Bergey truck group, Horner was my home dealer for many many years,and were great in their heyday,but i have nothing good to say about Bergeys,with the exception of the Vineland,NJ branch,they have one of the greatest parts guys on the planet! Melvin Street (streetzy) if he cant get it,it dont exist!............Mark

www.bergeytruckgroup.com

I thought they were gone too but I figured I'd give it a shot just in case they still had a place of business. Horner in Vineland was very nice, at least what I remember back in the 70's. I just can't remember names and that seems to be getting worse not better!

Sometimes you're the windshield and sometimes you're the BUG!!!

I thought they were gone too but I figured I'd give it a shot just in case they still had a place of business. Horner in Vineland was very nice, at least what I remember back in the 70's. I just can't remember names and that seems to be getting worse not better!

I bought a B model a few years back in Hyden KY and the truck was restored by Lexington Mack anyone know if they are still in busniss. Ron

They were really great people at Vineland,my family and i dealt with them for a long time,i personally bought 3 trucks through them.Bergey would'nt even entertain the thought of ordering my current CX,they were more concerned with the WM garbage trucks they now service in-house,and i had to make an "appointment" for service or a PM,so i stopped dealing with them alltogether. I was using Harvey Mack in New castle,DE before we moved..but was not real impressed with them either.I did however have the last laugh on Bergey's though...before horner sold out,i was personally invited to the "attic" over the old parts room,you would not believe all the NOS Mack stuff i got for little or nothing! i have been adding inventory since i was in high-school,with the intention of someday building a replica of my dream truck.....maybe some-day!....................Mark

Dang that sucks. I just found out my b was delivered to Horner mack. By what people are saying I can see bergen truck group aren't really that friendly to the avid mack collector. They just care about makeing $$$ with the big WM group. That sucks. Does anyone know of an old time mack dealer?

Thanks,

tom

"Nothing Breaks Wind Like A Bulldog"

Dang that sucks. I just found out my b was delivered to Horner mack. By what people are saying I can see bergen truck group aren't really that friendly to the avid mack collector. They just care about makeing $$$ with the big WM group. That sucks. Does anyone know of an old time mack dealer?

Thanks,

tom

Seems almost every dealer is out for the $ since they became part of the volvo group. The Mack Family attitude is gone. We had Mineola Mack here that would help you no matter what year you had. Now Gabraldi only cares about new and service..... parts changers and excuses..... Sad.. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Seems almost every dealer is out for the $ since they became part of the volvo group. The Mack Family attitude is gone. We had Mineola Mack here that would help you no matter what year you had. Now Gabraldi only cares about new and service..... parts changers and excuses..... Sad.. Paul

It really is sad to be honest with you... Dang this sucks... :(

Does anyone know of an old time mack dealer?

ThaMacknks,

tom

Hate to tell you, but the old time Mack Dealerships went the way of the old time Macks. When they're gone, they're gone for good. What Barry has going on here on BMT is a boon to anyone interested in old time Mack trucks. Count yourself lucky and give Barry a hand!

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

Hate to tell you, but the old time Mack Dealerships went the way of the old time Macks. When they're gone, they're gone for good. What Barry has going on here on BMT is a boon to anyone interested in old time old time Mack trucks. Count yourself lucky and give Barry a hand!

Well said! Yes i do appreciate what Barry has done with all the parts available for all these old rigs. :clap:

I agree,Barrys got a good thing going here,and for all of us "Mack guys" i really dont do any internet "socializing" other than here,and i relly enjoy all the people and conversations i have,plus their is a wealth of information available to all of us. Rhaslers right,the old time dealers are just about gone,personally,i only have about 2 dealerships in the entire country i trust with my truck! As far as catering to the old truck hobby,once upon a time ,Tidewater Mack in Virginia beach,VA had a really good B-model parts/support inventory,but when the money went away,so did the old truck parts.It is a shame too,these were great guys to deal with! now its all about the money......pretty much all of em' now! and parts? whats that? if you dont need a new hat or mudflaps,you're pretty much SOL!............Mark

I agree,Barrys got a good thing going here,and for all of us "Mack guys" i really dont do any internet "socializing" other than here,and i relly enjoy all the people and conversations i have,plus their is a wealth of information available to all of us. Rhaslers right,the old time dealers are just about gone,personally,i only have about 2 dealerships in the entire country i trust with my truck! As far as catering to the old truck hobby,once upon a time ,Tidewater Mack in Virginia beach,VA had a really good B-model parts/support inventory,but when the money went away,so did the old truck parts.It is a shame too,these were great guys to deal with! now its all about the money......pretty much all of em' now! and parts? whats that? if you dont need a new hat of mudflaps,you're pretty much SOL!............Mark

The deal at Tidewater was a sad one. The parts manager who really liked the B model series was forced out because his line of thinking didn't "jive" with the newer style leadership then coming into be. I was in the Navy then and used to frequent there every time I was in Va Beach. Nice bunch of folks. The first "CH" I had seen was there in the summer of 1988 and it was getting road test miles put on it as they were not yet offered for sale. Back in those days when you wanted a part, they would dig until it was found. The service was really good then and I've been told it's "typical" now. I've not been back since but if they're anything like Bruckner's in OKC, I wouldn't even bother darkening the doorstep for parts.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

The deal at Tidewater was a sad one. The parts manager who really liked the B model series was forced out because his line of thinking didn't "jive" with the newer style leadership then coming into be. I was in the Navy then and used to frequent there every time I was in Va Beach. Nice bunch of folks. The first "CH" I had seen was there in the summer of 1988 and it was getting road test miles put on it as they were not yet offered for sale. Back in those days when you wanted a part, they would dig until it was found. The service was really good then and I've been told it's "typical" now. I've not been back since but if they're anything like Bruckner's in OKC, I wouldn't even bother darkening the doorstep for parts.

Rob

I agree,Tidewater was a really good dealership at one time,i remember the auction flyer that was mailed to me when they liquidated all the B-model parts inventory, list of things available at the time was incredible! and Robs right,the parts/service was great! now,not so much! just like Horner,they would'nt stop looking till you got what you needed,even if it was at another dealer,they'd get you fixed up! and they did'nt need the last 6 of your VIN# to look up a part!most things (at the time) were in stock,i remember Horner stocking groomed cabs,frame rails,fuel tanks,engines,trans. damn near anything! now nobody has anything in stock.i understand why,but does'nt make my life any easier while on the road,waiting 2-3 days for parts,2-3 days before "we can get you"......Mark

Mark, I know Johnny personally, a good friend...His "A"car is not pink, its purple... He got it about 11 years ago, and put about 800K miles on it so far... He didnt want to quit using the old "R"dog, but had to get something with an under reach on it.. If you look on my alblum, there is a pic of it on my trailer (for a photo opp only). It's owned by Lou Barber now, he used to drive that CH for me.. He got it as soon as Johnny retired the old girl, and it still gets some use towing an antique or two now and then.. By the way, Johnny put 1.2 million miles on the truck, and went as far as Utah to retrive a truck in it.. Who among us would love to start out on a trip like that in a 1967 "R" dog!!!!!

Melvin was working part time for a year or so, then Bergey's told him, full time or no time, so he retired.. As you said, they lost the best parts man there ever was... I too purchased some "items" from the loft at Horner before the big take over.. Melvin was a HUGE help to me when I was restoring the B81... I even got a parts bock for it from him... Cliff

PS. I'll attach a pic of the two trucks together in my back yard with Johnny and Louis standing by them...

post-102-0-61270600-1303267763_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hate to tell you, but the old time Mack Dealerships went the way of the old time Macks. When they're gone, they're gone for good. What Barry has going on here on BMT is a boon to anyone interested in old time Mack trucks. Count yourself lucky and give Barry a hand!

Allow me to rephrase that last part, we should all count ourselves lucky, and a big thanks to Barry.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

Cliff,thats a great picture! thanks for sharing,kinda makes me homesick LOL! I first met Johhny many years ago,when i was driving for mike catalano (M&J catalano farms Salem,NJ) i was loaded with 44,000 Lbs. of fertilizer,well long story short,i was going up to north jersey from Vineland,hit a BAD bump on route 54 just south of Hammonton,broke the trailer in half! had to transfer the load to another trailer by hand,Johhny came and towed in the wrecked trailer back to Woodstown. I could hear the R-model coming from a mile away! most everybody i know in the trucking business has a "Johnny" story ,really a one of a kind! and something of a "legend" in south jersey. i wish i knew the whole story/details behind the wrecker,i think the members here would get a kick out of it!.....Thanks again, Mark

I guess its really a chaging of the times. I can remember going with my dad to get parts at Pittsburgh Mack when it was Pittsburgh Mack in the evenings when I was a little kid. Those guys always new exactly what you needed, why you needed it, and had it there on hand or could get it for you next day air. They knew the numbers off the top of there heads. They knew by everyone by name and always would let me climb up (with my dads help lol) in the newest MH or DM and give a few tugs on the air horn. I always looked forward when my dad would come home from work and say "Gotta go get some parts at Mack tonight" it was always a good time. Now if you call Trans *dge its like talking to Advance auto parts. "Whats the last 6 of your vin" with my reply-"my SERIAL number won't be in you system." I understand time change and a lot of the time some things change for the better but you shouldn't forget the past and understand why things work they way they do today because of yesterday...I mean they're were great relationships built from the simply getting good-fast parts and good-fast service from knowledgable and courteous parts men and service managers. Like Ive been told from many people in the industry about my dad "a great mechanic/truck driver from the last of a dying breed" same goes for the dealerships from yesterday. The "last of a dying breed" for parts and service but definitly on the cutting edge of technology is WATT'S MACK. Maybe it comes full circle and the "last of breed" for good-fast parts and service becomes cutting edge. I know Watts will be there. In the last five years in dealing with Barry, Tracy, and Tom at Watts ive always had great luck. The building of this relationship is a throwback to the past because they understand things and how and why they work. I want to be able not only to get all the good things that make a dealership good but also some day take my son (non yet lol)and climb up in the cab of a new MACK and tug on the air horn. Watt's really has a good thing going and I hope others will see the success and try to emulate that!

They were really great people at Vineland,my family and i dealt with them for a long time,i personally bought 3 trucks through them.Bergey would'nt even entertain the thought of ordering my current CX,they were more concerned with the WM garbage trucks they now service in-house,and i had to make an "appointment" for service or a PM,so i stopped dealing with them alltogether. I was using Harvey Mack in New castle,DE before we moved..but was not real impressed with them either.I did however have the last laugh on Bergey's though...before horner sold out,i was personally invited to the "attic" over the old parts room,you would not believe all the NOS Mack stuff i got for little or nothing! i have been adding inventory since i was in high-school,with the intention of someday building a replica of my dream truck.....maybe some-day!....................Mark

Hey Mark what ya waitin for, ya can't work all the time. Start puttin those pieces together! And even though I'm still a newbe to this site I have to agree that Barry and the general membership out here seem to be a real breath of fresh air compared to the Mack dealers out there. And in all fairness it's not just Mack, you buy a car any brand you want and you get the same treatment. It's the "NEW AGE" I guess. I don't like it either. Bob :angry:

Sometimes you're the windshield and sometimes you're the BUG!!!

Mark, I don't know what issue it is, but there was a nice story about the Lilla R Model in the Double Clutch written by big Lou Barber about a year ago or so.. I'll find the issue and let you know which one it is.. Cliff

Here are a couple pics.. first of Louis lifting a couple of engines at a local show. I swapped a Cummins to a friend from DE for a Cat. He brought the engine up, and we thought we would have a little fun at the show.. The next is a pic of Lilla lifting a 750 Holmes wrecker from a Big Horn that I had. (Big Horn is now in the care of Doug Maney)

post-102-0-35623200-1303345679_thumb.jpg

post-102-0-37393100-1303345758_thumb.jpg

Hey Mark what ya waitin for, ya can't work all the time. Start puttin those pieces together! And even though I'm still a newbe to this site I have to agree that Barry and the general membership out here seem to be a real breath of fresh air compared to the Mack dealers out there. And in all fairness it's not just Mack, you buy a car any brand you want and you get the same treatment. It's the "NEW AGE" I guess. I don't like it either. Bob :angry:

Hey Bob,hows it going? i know, i know! but seems like anymore all i do is work! it was always my intent to build a truck before i was too old and feeble to drive it,but now i aint so sure! LOL! definately not getting any younger!................Mark

Mark, I don't know what issue it is, but there was a nice story about the Lilla R Model in the Double Clutch written by big Lou Barber about a year ago or so.. I'll find the issue and let you know which one it is.. Cliff

Here are a couple pics.. first of Louis lifting a couple of engines at a local show. I swapped a Cummins to a friend from DE for a Cat. He brought the engine up, and we thought we would have a little fun at the show.. The next is a pic of Lilla lifting a 750 Holmes wrecker from a Big Horn that I had. (Big Horn is now in the care of Doug Maney)

Cliff,i'd sure like to read that if you can find it! i used to subsribe to the double clutch,but when they started having problems i dropped it,so i dont get it anymore. I'm sure if you find out which one its in,someone on here who has the issue can post it............Mark

Cliff,i'd sure like to read that if you can find it! i used to subsribe to the double clutch,but when they started having problems i dropped it,so i dont get it anymore. I'm sure if you find out which one its in,someone on here who has the issue can post it............Mark

Hey Mark, I found it.. It's Double Clutch Feb/Mar 2010, Volume41, No1.. Has a nice color picture of the truck on the cover..Cliff