Plug Pinout:

Does anybody have a good pinout diagram using a round seven pin connectors as used on tractor trailers? I ran new 6/12 with 1/10 trailer cable on the winch truck and want to ensure I don't miswire for other trailers. I'm using a "Phillips" round pin plug and socket.

Thanks,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Does anybody have a good pinout diagram using a round seven pin connectors as used on tractor trailers? I ran new 6/12 with 1/10 trailer cable on the winch truck and want to ensure I don't miswire for other trailers. I'm using a "Phillips" round pin plug and socket.

Thanks,

Rob

when i bought my new tag trailer in 04, eager beaver supplied a sheet with the wiring needed to be in comp. you may be able to look on up at eager beaver.

gg2

We the unwilling, Lead by the unqualified, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.

Phillips plugs are marked on the wire side with the color for each pin.

Yes, that is clear, legible, and makes sense. It does not however interpret the function of each wire. I've looked on the internet and see all types of conventions. It seems the wiring was changed for the 1982 model year across the manufacturing line and was the same from 1966-1981. Even the guy that pulled my trailer home had to rewire his truck plug to pull it and make all the electrics work.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I believe Truck-lite.com has what your looking for. Under the technical specs & regs heading.

Hi and thanks again. I have figgered as the color chart shows on Truck-lite.com and this is how the truck is now wired. The round seven pin connector plug is similar but different in many applications as the seven pin flat style plug used on campers and utility trailers etc. The truck is a 1980 and the color code convention did not match as it is now. Can't say if the wiring was original or not but it did match the same quality as the OEM wiring harness including shink tube encapsulated terminal ends. The only thing that was very standard was the ground wire, (white) was at the top which is a larger pin. On most diagrams I'd seen, the ground was at, or near the top, and the brake wire was at, or near the bottom. Of course electric brakes use a blue wire, and apparently air, or hydraulic brakes utilize the red wire. The comes the separation of the wires for the clearance and running lamps, tail lamps, etc.

I did get everything working as it should be now. I've made my own diagram based on three other semi trailers of one being brand new and unsold at a dealership.

Thanks,

Rob

The 7 blade RV style is definately different than the OTR round pin setup. The RV plug has Black as the battery charge, white is ground,yellow is auxillary-usually backup lights, blue is brakes, and the red-green-brown are your turn and tail. The OTR has that separate tail and marker circuit set-up. The new trailers with ABS have a second electric plug just for those funtions.

#1 on A-model registry

If I drink because of work, why can't I drink at work?

The 7 blade RV style is definately different than the OTR round pin setup. The RV plug has Black as the battery charge, white is ground,yellow is auxillary-usually backup lights, blue is brakes, and the red-green-brown are your turn and tail. The OTR has that separate tail and marker circuit set-up. The new trailers with ABS have a second electric plug just for those funtions.

I ran into almost all of that earlier today. At work we don't use color codes, all diagrams are point to point and the wiring is all white. I wanted to be certain to be able to use this tractor to pull any trailer I come across so wanted it to somewhat of a standard. I backed the truck under a brand new trailer and everything seemed to work fine after all was wired up.

My trailer is scheduled for the blaster next week after I get the deck and rub rails removed. I need the lights to work correct for the trip over and the truck wiring was intermittent of what did work.

You've not been participating lately. All good at home and work?

Rob

Just very busy at work. The company has been in receivership with the bank for a few months and may have new owners soon. We are also getting trucks ready for our annual state inspections. I've been trying to figure out a running problem with my Dodge truck, i drove it one day to work,ran great, about ten minutes from home it started stumbling,stalling,wouldn't idle. I thought I got some water in the gas. I put dry gas in and it has sat for about a week. I went out the other day to play in the flooded streets and it started right up, idles great, but at about 25-30 mph it starts stumbling again, not as bad as before.

#1 on A-model registry

Just very busy at work. The company has been in receivership with the bank for a few months and may have new owners soon. We are also getting trucks ready for our annual state inspections. I've been trying to figure out a running problem with my Dodge truck, i drove it one day to work,ran great, about ten minutes from home it started stumbling,stalling,wouldn't idle. I thought I got some water in the gas. I put dry gas in and it has sat for about a week. I went out the other day to play in the flooded streets and it started right up, idles great, but at about 25-30 mph it starts stumbling again, not as bad as before.

Thermoquad, or Holley?

Rob

1985 Dodge 1 ton 4x4 with a 1973 440-3 engine,727 auto box,and 4:56 gears!!! It has a Carter Thermoquad.

I remembered the drivetrain but the carb has a plastic float bowl that is very unstable as they age and didn't like to idle well. I'd get rid of it and go with a new Edlebrock replacement.

Bet it has a bunch of power.

Rob

It runs great. I get better gas milage since I got rid of that huge steel parachute on the back. I have to fix the rear brake line and I want to Por-15 the frame before I mount the flatbed. I found a Holley Truck Avenger carb on craigslist but I don't know if I want to buy it or not. Jegs sells rebuilt Edelbrock carbs for a good price, I just don't have much understanding of their stuff.

#1 on A-model registry

It runs great. I get better gas milage since I got rid of that huge steel parachute on the back. I have to fix the rear brake line and I want to Por-15 the frame before I mount the flatbed. I found a Holley Truck Avenger carb on craigslist but I don't know if I want to buy it or not. Jegs sells rebuilt Edelbrock carbs for a good price, I just don't have much understanding of their stuff.

put a quadrajet on a 440 when i was a kid about 17, got good mpg as long as i stayed out of the secondarys. but that quadrajet sound was hard to resist.

Rob,

If you still need the pin outs, check this page out. There is a pin out diagram for the semi trailer 7 pin plug. http://www.allpar.co...ler-wiring.html

Thanks Thad. That is about the clearest diagram I've seen and will save it for future use. I did get mine hooked up and working fine. It now matches other trailers that are brand new.

Rob