My Great Tennessee Adventure

other dog

I took a load of steel from Lynchburg,Va. to Cookeville,Tn. the other day. Then I had to go to Whitwell,Tn. to pick up a load of landscaping stone going to Charlottesville,Va. I called for directions and figured i'd still never find the place,since the directions said "Take 108 north to the top of the mountain... you'll pass the church with a cemetery on both sides of the road,then go past the yellow house and take the next right-there's no road signs,but I put some orange tape there. When you get to the blue building stay to the left.Open the gate and go through,then close it behind you.you'll see some equipment on the side of the road and a road turning off to the right,but don't take the road to the right..." Never seen so many yellow houses,but I actually drove straight to the place. The loader man said most people call him back several times for more directions.

This place was back in the woods 5 miles from where I turned off the highway at the orange tape. I went back into the woods so far, with the road getting smaller all the way, that I started to worry about pirates and truck smuggling operations-nobody would ever find me in there.It was at an old coal mine that had been shut down since 1981,when an explosion killed 13 miners.I never even knew they mined coal in that area.

The loader man was real nice and after I was loaded he took me down to the old mine site in his pickup. There wasn't a lot to see,but I put my new hobby to use and took some pictures. There's some power poles,a concrete foundation,and you could see where tracks used to go into the mine. It's now sealed off. He lives in the area and he told me the miners used to ride the rail cars into the mine there on the cars you had to lay down on. Interesting stuff.

"...go to the top of the mountain..." That would be this mountain-

heading into the unknown...

still going...

and going

finally there-looks legit,don't see any pirates about.

Some pictures at the old mine site-

Headed back down the mountain on rt.108 after I got loaded.

View off the mountain.You can see rt. 28 down there somewhere.

That's where I was-somewhere up in them there hills.

When I got to Charlottesville the man told me to pull into this subdivision and wait for him. When he got there I had to back out of this road and about 50 yards or so up the other road to a driveway where he started unloading me on the side of the road. He parked his pickup back behind me with the flashers on and I had the lights and flashers on too.Before I was half unloaded a county cop came up and said we had to get that truck out of the road. It was a little backroad with no lines on it in the middle of nowhere too,and there hadn't been but 3 or 4 cars that passed by. But everybody has a cell phone in their hands now just wanting to call somebody,so I guess somebody called and complained. I pointed to the man on the loader and told the cop "he's the brains of this outfit,I just did what he said". The cops says "well,you're driving the truck,therefore you're responsible and you'll be the one getting the ticket". So I said "in that case,i'm outa' here!" Cop said "that's what I thought" So I pulled back into this road (private property) and he finished unloading me.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.