What's Up With The Part's Stores?

fxfymn

Went to the local Never Any Parts Avaialble (NAPA) store the other day to get some copper washers for a brake job I'm doing on the 52. The counter guy says "We don't carry those unless they come with another part. Try Home Depot."

Is it just my local store or are all of the old time part's stores gone? I know they all want make/model to look it up on the computer in lieu of actually knowing the vehicle and part, but I thought they would at least be able to match a copper washer. I used to use NAPA all the time because they could always seem to find parts for the old stuff, now they are just another Auto Zone or Advanced clone. Please tell me all NAPA stores are not this bad.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Went to the local Never Any Parts Avaialble (NAPA) store the other day to get some copper washers for a brake job I'm doing on the 52. The counter guy says "We don't carry those unless they come with another part. Try Home Depot."

Is it just my local store or are all of the old time part's stores gone? I know they all want make/model to look it up on the computer in lieu of actually knowing the vehicle and part, but I thought they would at least be able to match a copper washer. I used to use NAPA all the time because they could always seem to find parts for the old stuff, now they are just another Auto Zone or Advanced clone. Please tell me all NAPA stores are not this bad.

I've found the corporate owned store no matter the brand are all similar. These folks only care about stock that rotates and moves quickly. Your franchised parts stores do a little better by a slim margin sometimes but not consistently.

I've found the Carquest franchise to be better than NAPA but that is just my take. Copper washers I know are available there!

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Carl

Sounds like a lazy parts guys at your Napa, my Napa keeps a small box with an assortment of sizes of copper washers that I used on the Mack for the brake job. If you need to get the part number let me know, I have a few spares that I can use to match up if you can't get the guy there to pull out the small assortment box in your Napa store.

Firemack

LOL!!! Ya, it sucks anymore. Last summer, buddy and I went to local Azone to get a brass plug for brake fitting. Ya, they had it..... $4!!!!!!!!! Say what?? For a simple .25 brass plug?? Buddy dropped it on the counter and we walked out muttering.

I have a good connection(friend) at local NAPA that will actually look up and work to get you what you need. If it means them buying it down the street at Carquest LOL!! (don't laugh, they do it. Buy it, pick it up and bring it back and hand it to you). He usually just sends me down "as their driver" and I get it at cost.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Carl

Sounds like a lazy parts guys at your Napa, my Napa keeps a small box with an assortment of sizes of copper washers that I used on the Mack for the brake job. If you need to get the part number let me know, I have a few spares that I can use to match up if you can't get the guy there to pull out the small assortment box in your Napa store.

Firemack

Thanks John; That's what I expected when I walked in. I bought an assortment at Harbor Freight for $5.00. Pretty sad commentary when you have to go to a place like that in lieu of finding it at a decent jobber.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

I agree that the small local shops have people that know more and stock more of the "common" items. Places like autozone do ok for the most part but not as good as a Napa or Carquest. I agree with rob that Carquest has more of what I need and they know what it is when I ask. I bought brake parts for my 65 cadillac last month without having to come in and show them what parts I needed. thats service!

Trent