Lash Rings:

Rob

What do you guys think of the welded "D" rings recessed into the floor of a trailer? This thing of mine will get a new deck and I'm considering installing 10 down the length of the deck to tie trucks to when hauling. I'm thinking I may bury them under "trap doors" so the deck remains level for sliding loads on the deck. I always used the keyhole slots to anchor to via chains and used the winch to bring up the tension on the rollbacks. Then of course a chain and binder for security during the tow.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

We use "D" rings up here for running chains through for the securing of roll-off/lugger boxes on our trucks and trailers. roll-off boxes up here get loaded up to 26.5 tonn when put on 4 axle buggies. I've never had a ring break, bent a few if load shifted though! You say, you can weld(just joking), make sure the hold down is welded good and in the spots you will mostlikly use them, and go with the biggest "D" rings you can. One big "D" is better than two broken small ones 0bob

What do you guys think of the welded "D" rings recessed into the floor of a trailer? This thing of mine will get a new deck and I'm considering installing 10 down the length of the deck to tie trucks to when hauling. I'm thinking I may bury them under "trap doors" so the deck remains level for sliding loads on the deck. I always used the keyhole slots to anchor to via chains and used the winch to bring up the tension on the rollbacks. Then of course a chain and binder for security during the tow.

Rob

We've never had a trailer that had them,the trailer I pull has short lengths of chain on each side that you can pull up thru a hole and use for tie-downs.Has basically a big washer at each end,one covers the hole when you don't use them,the other is slightly bigger than the hole so the chain doesn't pull all the way through the hole.These are for tie downs if you use a side kit.

Getting back to the question,i've seen many steel haulers use them to tie down coils,so there shouldn't be any problem with load securement,they're easy and convenient to use,I think it's a great ideer.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

We've never had a trailer that had them,the trailer I pull has short lengths of chain on each side that you can pull up thru a hole and use for tie-downs.Has basically a big washer at each end,one covers the hole when you don't use them,the other is slightly bigger than the hole so the chain doesn't pull all the way through the hole.These are for tie downs if you use a side kit.

Getting back to the question,i've seen many steel haulers use them to tie down coils,so there shouldn't be any problem with load securement,they're easy and convenient to use,I think it's a great ideer.

My first thought was the "chain pocket" you mention. They have been in serious contention as I'm not settled. The "D" rings I have access to are 1" diameter shank.

I have the new white oak decking for the upper deck and the lower will be finished in a couple more. I'm friends with the sawmill owner and he is kiln drying my lumber next week.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

The only thing I don't like about recessed rings is the garbage that gets into it. Dirt,rust,etc. When have you seen a nice chain pocket in a body shop floor? All the ones that I've seen were packed and had to be dug out. I would mount them high on the outer rail and reinforce with something if needed.

#1 on A-model registry

If I drink because of work, why can't I drink at work?

The only thing I don't like about recessed rings is the garbage that gets into it. Dirt,rust,etc. When have you seen a nice chain pocket in a body shop floor? All the ones that I've seen were packed and had to be dug out. I would mount them high on the outer rail and reinforce with something if needed.

Back in the days of the "pulldozer" and underbody bridge being the standard way to pull on frame damage I used them a lot. Never really had problems with them remaining clean. They always had a nice cover that fit well to keep debris out. You pried them open to extract the length of chain to which you afastened to.

This trailer has the main frame rails level with the wood flooring. I'm thinking of welding the "D" rings to this frameing. They wouldn't really be in the way there, and are easy to take off if needed. Since this trailer is a dedicated truck hauler, nothing to do with them would be in the way that I can think of..

Rob

Back in the days of the "pulldozer" and underbody bridge being the standard way to pull on frame damage I used them a lot. Never really had problems with them remaining clean. They always had a nice cover that fit well to keep debris out. You pried them open to extract the length of chain to which you afastened to.

This trailer has the main frame rails level with the wood flooring. I'm thinking of welding the "D" rings to this frameing. They wouldn't really be in the way there, and are easy to take off if needed. Since this trailer is a dedicated truck hauler, nothing to do with them would be in the way that I can think of..

Rob

rob,, do you have rub rail down the side of trailer. if i ever bought a new trailer i would order it with rub rail and not d rings. rings never seem to be in the right spot and with the rail it give unlimited spots to go to.

gg2

We the unwilling, Lead by the unqualified, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.

rob,, do you have rub rail down the side of trailer. if i ever bought a new trailer i would order it with rub rail and not d rings. rings never seem to be in the right spot and with the rail it give unlimited spots to go to.

gg2

Yes the trailer does have a rub rail down the sides. It is all bent to hell so will be replaced. These are what I've always used also on a wood deck gooseneck trailer. They have always worked fine. My skid steer trailer has the "D" rings welded to the outer edges of the trailer which I chain to but this trailer only carries that tractor and nothing else. I always liked the "keyhole" slots in the deck of the car carriers as they were easy to reach and not in the way. I've thought about incorporating these also, but the rub rail is stiffened up would be unlimited in where you can clamp.

Rob