Fuel Leaking Somewhere.

hatcity

2001 E7-427

Noticed a odor of fuel recently. Cleaned off motor real good today. Ran engine for about 1/2 hr and looked.

Between head and jake unit I noticed a fresh wet spot. Yup, there is the leak. But don't know where it is actually coming from.

Any help please.

Overheads were done not long ago, and replaced both sets of gaskets. #3 cylinder if that helps

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

2001 E7-427

Noticed a odor of fuel recently. Cleaned off motor real good today. Ran engine for about 1/2 hr and looked.

Between head and jake unit I noticed a fresh wet spot. Yup, there is the leak. But don't know where it is actually coming from.

Any help please.

Overheads were done not long ago, and replaced both sets of gaskets. #3 cylinder if that helps

Fuel injector leak off line fittings it sounds like. There should be a small "U" shaped tube between the heads that are sealed with a couple of round rubber grommets, the rubber is probably dried out or deteriorated and letting fuel leak by.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

Fuel injector leak off line fittings it sounds like. There should be a small "U" shaped tube between the heads that are sealed with a couple of round rubber grommets, the rubber is probably dried out or deteriorated and letting fuel leak by.

I'll check for that.

it seems that fuel is leaking from between the head and the jake, not from a line but I will look agin.

No problems noticed re: performance. No major fuel loss either. Maybe a pic will help.

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

2001 E7-427

Any help please.

I have found that for leaks best thing to do is look. I mean clean engine and run it till its hot and with a can of brake clean keep it clean and blow it dry with a blow gun. Keep on looking and by all means use a bright light. I find it best to get it in the shade if out side and use a bright light.keep looking but this is next thing to dye and a black light.

glenn akers

Check the plastic return line, too...might be rubbing on something and got itself a hole. Mine did that.

Easy enough to fix, though...clean it, degrease it, and wrap it with duct tape...problem solved. :thumb:

l_23119a3b88cf497e921fe88766afb85c.jpg

Is there anything that CAN'T be fixed with duct tape? :whistling:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Just get the motor as clean as possible, let it dry, then find a dusty field and drive around in it for a bit with the engine fan on. You'll find leaks you never knew you had. :pat:

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

AHHH yes duct tape. What can it do for you?

Gambi-I done that before,

What I should have said is- fuel IS seeping from between head and jake.

I will have a pic later.gvc

Thank you hasler. this appears to be the problem. Looks like a 2 hour job. disconnect 58 things, two minute repair, then put it all back together.

What has to be removed for access? Is there a part# for it, or just smear silicone and move along?

If you take a long extension and a 1/2" fuel line socket, crows foot (box or open end) you can probably get the nuts loose without pulling anything else apart. They can be hard to get back together this way, especially if you reuse the nuts, because it's hard to get the nuts started back onto the fittings. Usually just the seals need to be replaced, sometimes the seals are stuck into the nuts and are a pain to get out. I'll give you some part numbers in a bit.

U-shaped tube is a 207GC178. Shouldn't need to be replaced , but you never know.

Nuts are 63AX3438. May need to replace them if the rubber wont come out of them.

The rubber seal is a 52AX34.

the fittings are 63AX3705.

All together I wouldn't think you're looking at more than a few dollars worth of parts.