Blast From The Past...

RowdyRebel

So here I sit wasting the day away when there is a rare knock on the door. It was an unexpected but familiar face to me, but Dozer wasn't too thrilled. It was the old truck boss from the log-hauling outfit I used to work for. Hadn't seen him in years (holy crap...6 years?) and have often wondered how he was doing...a real good guy & old school trucker/logger. I know I wouldn't have had the confidence to do half of the maintenance/repair type stuff I do if not for what I learned while working for him. Funniest thing he told me was the log company had called him to see if he still had my number because they wanted to rehire me. Although it was probably the most fun I've ever had driving trucks, I doubt I would have gone back. Makes no difference now, though, because they are out of business.

He told 'em when the owner of the company told him to fire me that they better not ask him to hire anyone else....that he FINALLY had good help and he has to let 'em go. He quit less than 2 months later when he was told to hire another driver.

Anyway, we had a good catching up and I gave him my card (with my contact info on it) to keep in touch.

Best part is, now I can once again say that EVERY company that has EVER fired me is no longer in business. There are 2 of 'em. Any of the other places I've worked, I could make a phone call and be back to work because I always try to leave on good terms...do the best work I can while I'm there, and don't burn bridges when I leave. :thumb:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

So..................why'd you get fired...??

Company owner was having a bad day...wanted to take it out on someone....and I was expendable.

Couldn't fire the office staff, because then HE'D have to do the paperwork to keep the operation running & compliant.

Wasn't going to fire his son, no matter HOW much money he lost the biz.

Couldn't fire the only profitable timber buyer he had.

Couldn't fire the truck boss....who knew more about the truck part of the operation than the company owner.

That left me. :pat:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Company owner was having a bad day...wanted to take it out on someone....and I was expendable.

Couldn't fire the office staff, because then HE'D have to do the paperwork to keep the operation running & compliant.

Wasn't going to fire his son, no matter HOW much money he lost the biz.

Couldn't fire the only profitable timber buyer he had.

Couldn't fire the truck boss....who knew more about the truck part of the operation than the company owner.

That left me. :pat:

Funny how that works when you work for a family run business. There are two that I've worked for, one trucking, the other construction. The trucking company I worked for had 2 kids that were hell on equipment, one of which had multiple DUI's...flipped trailers over, put a truck upside down in a ditch. But if the drivers didn't keep their trucks washed and cabs clean, look out. The construction company, that was just FUBAR. The guys kids were slightly retarded (only explaination really), had some major anger issues...one of which got into a fight and indirectly killed another guy and spent some time in the klink. Couple of the other kids had (might still have) drug problems.

How they both remain in business is beyond anyone's comprehension.

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

Fired???? I resemble that about six times in the late 70's and early 80's. Damned smart assed kid that knew how to run a business better than the owner(s); Really. My solution was easy; purchase the business, streamline the unprofitable area(s), eliminate unnecessary or unproductive personel, demand more favorable pricing from suppliers, turn two consecutive 1/4's of profit on paper, then remarket the business.

The greatest rule to not break: Don't get involved personally.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I got fired from a gas station when i was 14, dough popped the bosses son right square in his ugly ole left eye. He was 16, talking shit down to me, I got nuff of it so I let him have it. I earned every bit of that firing, it was worth it. Wish I had a pic of his eye the next day, I done a right good pop on that SOB, I didnt work there no more, but he gave me a good wide berth after that. Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do. randyp

ROTFLMFAO!!!!

This was the company owner.... :lol:

http://www.semissourian.com/story/1163291.html

http://www.semissourian.com/story/1175525.html

I worked there in 2005, so this happened less than a year after he made the truck boss fire me. :banana:B)