Cable Throttle

Does anyone have a couple of pictures of how/what is on the injector end of the throttle linkage? I may try to make something up using a modern cable fitted to the original dash handle...dont see any mounts of what might have been there stock...dont know if it uses some kind of a slide, or a block that holds back the throttle or what...

Thanks

There actually isn't much to the PTO throttle control. Mine has the cable casing clamped to the injection pump with simple band clamp, the cable then slides through the throttle arm and then has a clamp put on the end of the cable that when the handle is pulled, pulls on the throttle and holds it. I'll try to get a picture today when I'm out in the garage.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

There actually isn't much to the PTO throttle control. Mine has the cable casing clamped to the injection pump with simple band clamp, the cable then slides through the throttle arm and then has a clamp put on the end of the cable that when the handle is pulled, pulls on the throttle and holds it. I'll try to get a picture today when I'm out in the garage.

Thanks....looking forward to a picture...

Ok, here's my set up.

You can see the cable clamped and going through the eyelt on the linkage. The brass lock on the end pulls the throttle. Since the cable is loose through the eyelet, it allows the pedal to operate. Only when you pull the hand throttle out does it start to pull on the throttle. I have it set so it can pull it to WOT and keep speed on the highway. Poor mans cruise control.

SDC10780.jpg

SDC10785.jpg

Larry

Ok, here's my set up.

You can see the cable clamped and going through the eyelt on the linkage. The brass lock on the end pulls the throttle. Since the cable is loose through the eyelet, it allows the pedal to operate. Only when you pull the hand throttle out does it start to pull on the throttle. I have it set so it can pull it to WOT and keep speed on the highway. Poor mans cruise control.

Thanks! Just what I was looking for...

Poor mans cruise control.

We used to have a guy that came through once in a while in an old Peterbilt 359 that he had put together. Every time he came through the truck had a different motor, one time a Cummins, the next time a Caterpillar, so I guess he couldn't come up with a permanent throttle control. One day I crawled into the cab and he had a steak knife sitting next to the throttle pedal. When I asked why he said it was his cruise control, he'd just prop it against the floor and use it to lock the pedal in position.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

We used to have a guy that came through once in a while in an old Peterbilt 359 that he had put together. Every time he came through the truck had a different motor, one time a Cummins, the next time a Caterpillar, so I guess he couldn't come up with a permanent throttle control. One day I crawled into the cab and he had a steak knife sitting next to the throttle pedal. When I asked why he said it was his cruise control, he'd just prop it against the floor and use it to lock the pedal in position.

Once upon a time I was driving a 100 ton euclid coal hauler in coal mine, it was the newer cabover type, (prolly bout 1985 model), they were bad bout bucking and beating crap out of operators. I was doing bout 40 mph, in the middle of a curve headed for overpass, and it started bucking sideways, kinda pissed me off a lil, so I stomped real hard on accelerator pedal just to kinda pay it back a lil, (it had a V-12 cummins). The pedal hung under very stiff floormat at wide open throttle, she really went to bucking then, I leaned way down to try to unstick it, all the while in a curve approaching overpass and picking up speed, steering wheel hammered me in head bout 18 or 22 times fore I got relief. I dont think I will ever forget that episode, still dont like cruise controls to this day. randyp :pat:

Got some good ideas now...I have not been able to track any down online...I search cable throttle, stuff like that and came up blank...when I find something...I WILL retro fit it to the stock dash control...new cable, old school stock look...Someone told me stock ones are hard to find..

Got some good ideas now...I have not been able to track any down online...I search cable throttle, stuff like that and came up blank...when I find something...I WILL retro fit it to the stock dash control...new cable, old school stock look...Someone told me stock ones are hard to find..

I havent had need for any in years, I do know any car or truck parts stores used to stock universal cables, just trim to length. I guess thats something else they dont do anymore,,oh well,,,randyp :blink:

I havent had need for any in years, I do know any car or truck parts stores used to stock universal cables, just trim to length. I guess thats something else they dont do anymore,,oh well,,,randyp :blink:

Most use an adjustable vernier cable that is twisted to the right to increase engine speed. There is usually a big red knob in the center that is pushed in with the palm of the hand to reset to idle. I had them on on my wreckers to elevate engine rpm while winching with hydraulics. I've seen a lot of R models set up like this also. Like you stated it's just a cable and jacket you trim to the correct length and hold in place with a simple "U" type clamp and attach to the throttle arm.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Most use an adjustable vernier cable that is twisted to the right to increase engine speed. There is usually a big red knob in the center that is pushed in with the palm of the hand to reset to idle. I had them on on my wreckers to elevate engine rpm while winching with hydraulics. I've seen a lot of R models set up like this also. Like you stated it's just a cable and jacket you trim to the correct length and hold in place with a simple "U" type clamp and attach to the throttle arm.

Rob

Yeah Rob, Ive seen a lot of the ones you are talking bout, Killer has one without the red lock button, you just twist knob to left to unlock, pull out till you get prefered RPMs, then twist back to right to lock at that RPM. I only use it on cold morning warmups. It works good though, randyp

I like the one that randy speaks of. its not as bulky and you can set the idle speed faster. half a twist locks or unlocks. In IL it works great for cruise control(no hills!)

heh heh,,as stated earlier in this post, cruise control scares me, I think I have been conditioned against it, must be the knots on the head. randyp

Barry used to have them in the B model store. I looked around and didn't find them anymore?

I did find some locking throttle cables at Grainger.com. I tried to copy the link but my computer isn't being nice today.

Not sure if this is the proper link?

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/search.shtml?searchQuery=locking+throttle&op=search&Ntt=locking+throttle&N=0&sst=subset

Larry