Dad Let Me Drive

vision386

I can relate, I was 14 & the 1st truck I drove was a 1975 or 76 Mack Cruiseliner with the V8 & 5 speed. I was washing trucks for the leasing company then and we had 671 powered IHC Fleetstars, 8V71/13speed 4070's & 4070B's, R Model Macks, Cruiseliners and IHC Loadstar straight trucks. At that point only the Cruiseliners had power steering and what trucks had A/C, well it usually didn't work....

This isn't the V8 powered Cruiselner, but it is actually the 2nd Cruiseliner we bought.

post-45-037360700 1292956128_thumb.jpg

:SMOKIE-LFT: The first truck I drove was when I was 12. It was a 1980 Freightliner cabover with a 3408 Cat. It was in a gravel pit the old man was hauling out of that summer he went into get loaded with sand for the next day after the guy that ran the loader went home, so dad took the few week old cat 980 loader down into the hole and had me drive the freightliner ahead of him. I didn't really know how to shift it so dad had me put it in 1st or 2nd gear, I didn't know he had parked it on the spike or hand brake so when I let the clutch out and started spinning the tires in the sand til dad jumped up and let it off for me. we went down into the pit about a half mile off the road and got to the pile and I drove ahead too far past where he wanted me. He pulled a set of ontario A trains at the time and he wanted me to back up a bit, do you think I could back it up , no way I kept jack knifing the pup. So dad had to back them up for me. Then he loaded the truck with sand and had me drive the new loader back up the hill to the scale because I couldn't shift gears and the ramp out was pretty steep. It was a bit of a learning experience for me and a laugh for dad.

Now that's cool! Every kids dream(well, okay at least mine anyway). Didn't get much early driving, best I did was start mom's Opel Cadet when I was about 11 yrs old. Got the big run down one day and was showed how to put in neutral(no safety devices back then) and start it(no fuel injection), pump the gas, crank it, etc.

Closest to truck driving was about 10 yrs old and got to ride in this:

Shottkw76.jpg

Hence the love for ol KW's and twin sticks. That truck is what I've always wanted. Don't remember what power it had, but did have two pearl handled sticks!

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

The first truck I ever drove was Daddy's '74 Pete 359. It had a 318 Detroit, 15 speed trans, and 4:11 gears. It was later repowered with a Silver 92 430 Detroit. He called the old truck Sneaky Pete. He used to haul lime out of Jefferson City TN back to the Carolinas and I would go with him on Saturday or when school was out. We would get on I 40 headed east at the 417mm and when he would get it high gear we would swap seats and I would drive until we started approaching the Gorge.

By the time I got my license old Sneaky Pete was gone, replaced by an R model Mack. Best move we ever made!!

I started in my grandfathers 1963 B-61T when i was about 15,then our 1972 R-685 when i was 16 or 17,but had already been spotting trailers since i was 11 or 12 i guess......some good memories for me!..........Mark

post-5836-005041100 1292986040_thumb.jpg

post-5836-071461300 1292986049_thumb.jpg

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Now that's cool! Every kids dream(well, okay at least mine anyway). Didn't get much early driving, best I did was start mom's Opel Cadet when I was about 11 yrs old. Got the big run down one day and was showed how to put in neutral(no safety devices back then) and start it(no fuel injection), pump the gas, crank it, etc.

Closest to truck driving was about 10 yrs old and got to ride in this:

Shottkw76.jpg

Hence the love for ol KW's and twin sticks. That truck is what I've always wanted. Don't remember what power it had, but did have two pearl handled sticks!

Gee, you really haven't changed much over the years.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

The first truck I ever drove was Daddy's '74 Pete 359. It had a 318 Detroit, 15 speed trans, and 4:11 gears. It was later repowered with a Silver 92 430 Detroit. He called the old truck Sneaky Pete. He used to haul lime out of Jefferson City TN back to the Carolinas and I would go with him on Saturday or when school was out. We would get on I 40 headed east at the 417mm and when he would get it high gear we would swap seats and I would drive until we started approaching the Gorge.

By the time I got my license old Sneaky Pete was gone, replaced by an R model Mack. Best move we ever made!!

Must have been this place?

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.