Sunny Buffalo (My Ass!)

vision386

Just returned home from a LOVELY two week ordeal in sunny Buffalo,NY! left out tail-end of the week before last,with 17 stops in western PA,then ending up in the buffalo metro area.......well,last thursday night stopped at the T/A in Harborcreek,PA topped off with fuel (luckily) headed on up towards buffalo to start dropping again friday morning.(WRONG!) I-90 (new york thruway) is closed! seems a fed-ex truck pulling a set of doubles did some "tricks" ended up jack-knifing,setting off a bad chain reaction accident,all this on top of it snowing at the rate of 2 1/2 to 3 inches an hour! so in a little under 3 hours i had snow up to the middle of my side fairings! managed to get off the road into a service area,where i spent friday,saturday,and part of sunday while they cleared wrecked and abandoned vehicles off the road. The local news said there were in the neighborhood of 285 to 300 stranded cars and trucks in an 11 mile stretch of highway! some people were still in their cars as late as sat. morning! long story short,most people ran out of gas/fuel and just left their vehicles where they sat,so i was blocked in by several trucks that were out of fuel,there was not a heavy-duty wrecker to be had within a 100 miles of buffalo!....finally got going monday,only to have them close both bridges that go out to niagra falls,due to high winds, zero visibility! so i did'nt end up getting empty till THIS thursday,re-loaded in Meadville,PA took that out to Evansville,IN dropped, re-loaded,delivered in Martinsville,VA this morning......AAAHHH what fun wintertime truckin' is!......................Mark

post-5836-000853900 1292092766_thumb.jpg

post-5836-097477300 1292092774_thumb.jpg

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

... AAAHHH what fun wintertime truckin' is!......................Mark

Yeah...I don't mind cold,but snow sucks-to the highest level of sucktivity.

I remember that storm,I was afraid i'd get an Orchard Park load that Thursday but ended up going to Warren,Oh and reloading in Cleveland for Lawrenceville,Va.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

I remember that storm,I was afraid i'd get an Orchard Park load that Thursday but ended up going to Warren,Oh and reloading in Cleveland for Lawrenceville,Va.

Know what you mean! i was glad to get some "heavy" freight back out of PA,i loaded 43,000 pounds of sheet glass out of meadville (erie) took it to there other plant in evansville,IN course i never seen anymore snow after that!

...now I'm the other way. If it ain't snowing, I have no use for the cold. I LOVE the snow. :banana:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

...now I'm the other way. If it ain't snowing, I have no use for the cold. I LOVE the snow. :banana:

You probly woulda made out good up there,they was paying dump trucks $25.00 a load to haul snow to a landfill,i talked to a guy with a tri-axle that was working around the clock 45-50 loads a day 6 mile round trip!

Why are all those trucks lined up on the wrong side of the road?

They did'nt pay any attention to the big "road closed" sign,they could only go so far, and they were turning everyone back around at the tollbooth the side roads were so plugged up with trucks they opened the eastbound side left lane and headed them back westbound!

You probly woulda made out good up there,they was paying dump trucks $25.00 a load to haul snow to a landfill,i talked to a guy with a tri-axle that was working around the clock 45-50 loads a day 6 mile round trip!

$1/ton really isn't very good at all. Heck, that's what the company charged me to haul rock back to my own house, with my own truck, burning my own fuel, on my own time, but in their trailer. :pat:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

I saw that on the TV last week... man I feel for you. you are lucky you had fuel. I was shut down last monday on I65 for the same reasons. Brand new UPS truck with a set of doubles went over and blocked the NB lanes. luckly it was only about 1 hours wait. regarding the pay that is kinda poor....$25 a load is good if you can keep moving and make the loads. If your waiting longer than it takes to get loaded and takes longer to wait in line for the dump it becomes a sad rate at the end of the day. Figure each load takes 30 min round trip thats 20 loads in 10 hours. $25 x 20 loads is only $500. put $150 back in the tank and you only made $350 in 10 hours or $35 an hour...

I saw that on the TV last week... man I feel for you. you are lucky you had fuel. I was shut down last monday on I65 for the same reasons. Brand new UPS truck with a set of doubles went over and blocked the NB lanes. luckly it was only about 1 hours wait. regarding the pay that is kinda poor....$25 a load is good if you can keep moving and make the loads. If your waiting longer than it takes to get loaded and takes longer to wait in line for the dump it becomes a sad rate at the end of the day. Figure each load takes 30 min round trip thats 20 loads in 10 hours. $25 x 20 loads is only $500. put $150 back in the tank and you only made $350 in 10 hours or $35 an hour...

HEY VISION, 40 MILES MORE EAST OF WERE YOU GOT STUCK WE ONLY HAD10"OF SNOW. MAYBE THAT WAS YOU IN THE CNN VIDEO CLIMBING OVER THE FENCE WITH A STEP LADDER TO GO FOR FOOD. DONT YOU JUST LOVE BUFFALO NOW.

GG2

We the unwilling, Lead by the unqualified, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.

HEY VISION, 40 MILES MORE EAST OF WERE YOU GOT STUCK WE ONLY HAD10"OF SNOW. MAYBE THAT WAS YOU IN THE CNN VIDEO CLIMBING OVER THE FENCE WITH A STEP LADDER TO GO FOR FOOD. DONT YOU JUST LOVE BUFFALO NOW.

GG2

Oh i know! once i got going,i went over to the T/A at Corfu,did'nt have much of anything over there! i was suprised how much difference there was in 40 miles! i'm used to the snow,just not used to them closing the thruway!

Oh i know! once i got going,i went over to the T/A at Corfu,did'nt have much of anything over there! i was suprised how much difference there was in 40 miles! i'm used to the snow,just not used to them closing the thruway!

heck you were only 15 miles north west of me.

We the unwilling, Lead by the unqualified, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.

$1/ton really isn't very good at all. Heck, that's what the company charged me to haul rock back to my own house, with my own truck, burning my own fuel, on my own time, but in their trailer. :pat:

That's the kinda stuff you do at the end of the day once in a while... :twothumbsup:

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg