Got Involved In My First Plane Crash Tonight:

Rob

You guys that are pilots will understand this one:

I got called to northern Illinois this afternoon to recertify a VASI system, (Visual Approach Situation Indicator) for proper operation. Seems a guy put his Cessna 172, (1968 model) down into the grass off of the runway sticking the nose gear and flipping onto it's top. Although badly shaken but basically unharmed, the pilot blamed the lights for inproper operation. Although the responsible technician responded and checked the lights, I was called for third party non biased evaluation. All equipment was working at the time of the incident, and upon my checks without interruption.

I don't know where this will go but the aircraft is scrap. The tail section parted from the airframe near complete as did part of the left wing. Wasn't really any gasoline spillage either and no fire. The airport authority used a forklift to carry the airframe back to the hanger for inspection.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

You guys that are pilots will understand this one:

I got called to northern Illinois this afternoon to recertify a VASI system, (Visual Approach Situation Indicator) for proper operation. Seems a guy put his Cessna 172, (1968 model) down into the grass off of the runway sticking the nose gear and flipping onto it's top. Although badly shaken but basically unharmed, the pilot blamed the lights for inproper operation. Although the responsible technician responded and checked the lights, I was called for third party non biased evaluation. All equipment was working at the time of the incident, and upon my checks without interruption.

I don't know where this will go but the aircraft is scrap. The tail section parted from the airframe near complete as did part of the left wing. Wasn't really any gasoline spillage either and no fire. The airport authority used a forklift to carry the airframe back to the hanger for inspection.

Rob

Rob, I sincerely hope you removed ALL traces of grizzly bear hair from the VASI system. Glad the pilot wasnt hurt. Dont worry, I dont thnk this is anything Other Dog cant patch up, especially with his trusty asistant Rhalser. Randy (give me a call if you need anything, besides dirt work, I do part time attorney stuff) :thumb:;)

• Like 1

Stats prove that the number one cause of crashes is pilot error. Second is mechanical failure on the plane. I think ground equipment is very low on that list. Pilots will never admit that they fouled up until the recorders are opened,if they are available. I know small planes don't have them.

#1 on A-model registry

If I drink because of work, why can't I drink at work?

Rob, I hope you have ALL of your training and certifications up to date and available.

In this day and age, Some lawyer will try to prove that his client is not a total ass.

If you get called to court, he will try to tear you a new asshole on your abilities and such.

Good luck.

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

Rob, I hope you have ALL of your training and certifications up to date and available.

In this day and age, Some lawyer will try to prove that his client is not a total ass.

If you get called to court, he will try to tear you a new asshole on your abilities and such.

Good luck.

dont worry, Spot is probably gonna "approach the bench". Just dont try any tricks on him like you did on the bear. randyp :ninja:

Good luck.

Yes, I'm up to date and current. This really is a minor system I'm involved with. This incident is too small to really involve any outside entities but the possibility exists. There was a brisk crosswind nearing 40knots gusting at the time of the incident. I'm certain he was blown off of runway centerline during glidepath and was not cognizant, or able to recover and pull up before contacting the ground.

We don't usually get involved with incidents concerning aircraft but I'll see the report in final form.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.