All Thumbs Today

randyp

I've never run an excavator myself but my first backhoe, (JD 510C) had an electric clam bucket on the front and I didn't care for it as much as my next tractor, (780ck Case) with a manual lever for the clam. An operator could actually "feel" the pressure applied to what was being picked up. The JD tractor was either tight, or loose with clamping. I could clamp and carry a cinder block with the Case. Of course it took some practice to not explode it.

Rob

To quote David earlier in this thread, "I dont know how I ever made it in my pre-thumb days." I did a lot of scooting and trying to snag with bucket and probably wasted a lot of time and fuel. Im working in a creek bottom now with bout 5 million river birches, all on the creek bank and packed like sardines. The main characteristic of a river birch is their root ball extends bout 12 to 15 feet from base of tree and lil hairy roots must hold 5 or 6 yards of dirt each. You have to shake each one or drop them several times to get it to break loose. To top that all offf, landowner is there every day, watching, and keeps saying "dont get any dirt in piles, shake some more out, no dirt in piles", oh well, all that shaking is costing him by the hour. These birches average bout 12 to 15 inches across at chest high and bout 100 feet straight up. I do know if I put to much pressure on thumb and bucket, it will sheer right through one and shatter it! So far, am really happy with thumb, this current endeavor wouldnt be possible without it, heh,,may mount one on front of my pickup now,,,heh heh,,Merry Christmas to all,,,randyp :thumb::mack1:

Y'all still need a pin boss at the top of the tip.

I give ya a half hour before you crunch it

Other than that, looks good

BTW-I know a guy with a grapple truck to haul the debris,iff'n you don't burn it

nanna nanna nah nah,,,Hatcity,,I got 23 hrs. on it. heh,,now I get to go do some welding repair on it today,,I think I may have over-thumbed it just a lil bit,,,randyp :pat:

nanna nanna nah nah,,,Hatcity,,I got 23 hrs. on it. heh,,now I get to go do some welding repair on it today,,I think I may have over-thumbed it just a lil bit,,,randyp :pat:

Hard to believe the abuse those things take, especially working with concrete or ripping trees. I've welded several over the years. Do you have a replaceable tooth bar, or is you single piece? Keep the pivots greased a couple times a day when in use too.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Hard to believe the abuse those things take, especially working with concrete or ripping trees. I've welded several over the years. Do you have a replaceable tooth bar, or is you single piece? Keep the pivots greased a couple times a day when in use too.

Rob

No Rob, tooth bar is single piece, its a manual thumb, so on the thumb itself, there are no grease fittings, as nothing on it pivots. I should have repairs finished in morning and get back to work, baby wants some new shoes for Christmas,,,randyp :rolleyes:

No Rob, tooth bar is single piece, its a manual thumb, so on the thumb itself, there are no grease fittings, as nothing on it pivots. I should have repairs finished in morning and get back to work, baby wants some new shoes for Christmas,,,randyp :rolleyes:

so yours is a swing down and pin into position? I was thinking you had a hydraulic thumb installed.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Thats correct, swing down and choose one of 3 different settings and install pin. If I ever do another one, it will be hydraulic. randyp

If you install a hydraulic thumb you'll never have anything but. They work well. I've seen them operated both by lever, and button on the floor with the button being more common around here in the demolition business.

Rob

Thats correct, swing down and choose one of 3 different settings and install pin. If I ever do another one, it will be hydraulic. randyp

Why couldn't you just convert that one to hydraulic? You can buy a cylinder from TSC or any other farm supply type store...install it in place of the doohicky ya gotta move to adjust the thumb. Run some hydraulic lines up to where you's sitting and add a control valve. They got different size cylinders & such too, so you can get one that will do whatcha need it to and probably get set up for $500-$1000 if ya DIY. :thumb:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!