Bias Vs Radial Rubber

I run nothing but bias. Simple reason ,on a toy truck you just don't put the miles on to wear out a radial. Radials are only good for a about 5 years before they start weather checking and once that happens they can come apart at any time. A good part of a radial tires sidewall strengh is the rubber it's self and when it starts deterating away goes the strengh. Bias by their design do not relie onthe rubbers strengh to hold things together. Botton line if you can afford to buy new rubber every 5 years or so or can wear it out in that time radials are agood deal. Radials also have a bigger foot print so steering is harder at very low speeds, do ride better though.

John Evans,

Trucks & Dogs are expensive!!

I agree with John who I think answered my exact same question a couple of years ago!

I ended up running with new bias on the steer and the radials the truck came with (I did first regroove) on the rear. The bias on the steer was for ease of steering and better sidewall. I was told, maybe by John but possibly by someone else. that if you get sidewall damage on a radial, you might as well get rid of it which is another reason why I went bias on the steer. Never damaged them though!

Cheers

Andy

Whatever rubs your buddah.

The Mack E Model Registry - 103 entries
The Mack A Model Registry - 14 entries

I agree with John who I think answered my exact same question a couple of years ago!

I ended up running with new bias on the steer and the radials the truck came with (I did first regroove) on the rear. The bias on the steer was for ease of steering and better sidewall. I was told, maybe by John but possibly by someone else. that if you get sidewall damage on a radial, you might as well get rid of it which is another reason why I went bias on the steer. Never damaged them though!

Cheers

Andy

Hi there, I run radials on the steer axle and bias on the drives. I don't like the "hopping" that you get with bias or nylon tires as the radials are much smoother especially after sitting for a spell. I don't disagree with any comments so far but my trucks do for the most part reside inside my shop when not in use so sidewall breakdown is not a pertinent issue.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Be careful mixing radials and bias. I did it for a while on my R model single axle dump. No problems empty but loaded on the highway was a different story. I had radial on the front and bias on the rear. Lots of sway during lane change and exit ramps could be scary.

Chuck

Hi there, I run radials on the steer axle and bias on the drives. I don't like the "hopping" that you get with bias or nylon tires as the radials are much smoother especially after sitting for a spell. I don't disagree with any comments so far but my trucks do for the most part reside inside my shop when not in use so sidewall breakdown is not a pertinent issue.

Rob

Yep, flat spots would be my biggest complaint with bias tyres that have been sitting for a bit.

Cheers

Andy

Whatever rubs your buddah.

The Mack E Model Registry - 103 entries
The Mack A Model Registry - 14 entries