Double Frame Rust

bobo

Just got a quote from Mack for 2 new rails.  26k not installed.  Our frame is not awful rusted but the spread is bad. 3/4 inch.

Cannot just get a whole frame rail from supplier because an R model frame is "Fashioned" in the front and they do not do that only straight frames.

Guess I am looking at 2 options:

1. Cutting the outer frame off, sand blasting and putting back together and welding. Reading here I see some have done this but couple of questions.
  • Where is a good spot under the cab to cut that you can get under there and weld back together.
  • Will the frame come back together as it is spread pretty far apart from original.

2. Pull the inner frame rails out

• Lots more work but no welded joint
  • Will the frames come back together
  • What is going to be a complete SOB when pulling the inner rails out?

Would love some more pictures of some others experiences with this repair.

There's no easy way to do this but if you feel its bad enough then you need to split the rails completely, sand blast and reassemble 

Not a huge cost but a lot of work 

I wouldn't cut the chassis rail unless that was the only way 

From what I know, which is two tenths of stuff all, most rails spring back into shape after this is done

Paul 

Edited by mrsmackpaul

On 2/3/2022 at 10:04 AM, DieselDog5.9 said:

Just got a quote from Mack for 2 new rails.  26k not installed.  Our frame is not awful rusted but the spread is bad. 3/4 inch.

Cannot just get a whole frame rail from supplier because an R model frame is "Fashioned" in the front and they do not do that only straight frames.

Guess I am looking at 2 options:

1. Cutting the outer frame off, sand blasting and putting back together and welding. Reading here I see some have done this but couple of questions.
  • Where is a good spot under the cab to cut that you can get under there and weld back together.
  • Will the frame come back together as it is spread pretty far apart from original.

2. Pull the inner frame rails out

• Lots more work but no welded joint
  • Will the frames come back together
  • What is going to be a complete SOB when pulling the inner rails out?

Would love some more pictures of some others experiences with this repair.

This is the second truck I've done this to. Leave one side in to hold alignment of everything. Put jackstands/cribbing under everything on the other side, and pull the supported side out.  Separate by driving a long 2x6 (cut the one end into a wedge) into one end. Lots of hard work involved, be careful you can kink the rails if you try separating them like a wish bone. If it's a dump truck you will have to pull the dump body off. 

First truck we did was an RD model, the cab had to get jacked up pretty high to let the frame clear.  This one I linked is an MR, the cab tilts forward giving tons of room to work.