How To Add A Second Auxiliary

JD 5020

Has anyone added another auxiliary box behind a quad box or equivalent transmission? I would like to keep all of my low gears and leave the rear ratio where it is. Currently its a quad box (18 speed) and a 7.00 rear. The only issue is that the top speed in the B61 is 50 MPH and I would like to boost it just a bit. (10-15 MPH) Any pictures, auxiliary information, etc. would be helpful. Looking to learn what I would have to acquire to do the job.

Auxiliary trans are getting real hard to find. And the big ones (Spicer 1241 and Fuller 1202) are getting real expensive. Like 5k for a rebuilt. Depending on how you use the truck, you might get away with a 7 or 8000 series Spicer. They are in the 3500 to 6100 ft. lb. torque range and OD ratios of .75 to .86. With .75 you will run 67mph. With .86 you will run 58 mph. If your truck is a single axle you might consider a 2 sp axle.

Auxiliary trans are getting real hard to find. And the big ones (Spicer 1241 and Fuller 1202) are getting real expensive. Like 5k for a rebuilt. Depending on how you use the truck, you might get away with a 7 or 8000 series Spicer. They are in the 3500 to 6100 ft. lb. torque range and OD ratios of .75 to .86. With .75 you will run 67mph. With .86 you will run 58 mph. If your truck is a single axle you might consider a 2 sp axle.

Don't forget that after installing the auxillary box you'll have driveline work that will have to be done too.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

I have a toy truck with a aux behind a ten speed but if it is a work truck it can be problem if not taken care of.

This is mainly a play truck too, I dont plan on hauling much with it. (12-15 tons maybe) For the most part I would like to be able to go to shows with out being run over and still maintain my bottom end if I do decide to take a tractor along.

Has anyone added another auxiliary box behind a quad box or equivalent transmission? I would like to keep all of my low gears and leave the rear ratio where it is. Currently its a quad box (18 speed) and a 7.00 rear. The only issue is that the top speed in the B61 is 50 MPH and I would like to boost it just a bit. (10-15 MPH) Any pictures, auxiliary information, etc. would be helpful. Looking to learn what I would have to acquire to do the job.

What size rubber is that truck on?

When I was back east we had 7:00 rears behind a double over quad box, on 11:00 - 22 rubber and they would run 60 MPH @ 2100 RPM.

Is your engine achieving 2100 RPM? If not, fix the throttle linkage or adjust the hi speed stop screw so that it does get 2100.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

What size rubber is that truck on?

When I was back east we had 7:00 rears behind a double over quad box, on 11:00 - 22 rubber and they would run 60 MPH @ 2100 RPM.

Is your engine achieving 2100 RPM? If not, fix the throttle linkage or adjust the hi speed stop screw so that it does get 2100.

I will have to check, it does have 11.00-22's. The other week I ran across a B-73 with three sticks and it sparked my interest.

If you need one, I have an extra aux. transmission that is in good condition, the truck only had 70,000 miles and it worked smoothly. Let me know if you are interested - (573)219-6611.

I will give you a ring if I decide to go that route, I need to determine what type of gear ratios I will end up with. Thanks for the offer, I will keep digging to see what I can learn.

I have a b73 with a factory equiped 3 speed aux behind a duplex, I could get some details off of the truck if you need.

Fred

That sounds good, anything you can get would be helpful. If you get a chance and can snap a picture or two that would be good too.