1959 Mack B-61

Hey Larry, I need a breast plate and brackets also for one of my B models.

Thanks,

Rob

I'll go look at see what I got laying in the garage. I know there is one complete one, maybe two? Don't know the origin, just got them with the truck. I don't have a stock bumper on mine, so have no use for them.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

does anybody know how i can tell if my truck is a positive or negative ground

Originally positive ground. If it still has a generator, prolly still is. Look at the positive battery terminal and where it runs to. If going to the frame it is positive ground. If there are no batteries in the truck, the positive battery post terminal is physically larger, (hole size) than the negative.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

ok rob i have 4 battery cables 3 of them go to the parralel switch (2 on top 1 on the bottom)and the 1 cable left goes to the starter(24volt),also we got the truck running and she ran good we push stareted it

I have a diagram at the shop that is easy to follow. I will scan and post it over the weekend.

Does the truck have a generator, or alternator? The voltage regulator will have one of the mounting tabs for the wiring marked for pos, or neg. This will be indicative of ground polarity also. The series/parallel switch will work with either polarity depending on how it is wired.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

yea it has an alternator and on the tag where it says ground it is blank and im not sure where the voltage regulator is,if you could tell me that would be great,also i would really appreiciate it if you could post that diagram

Sounds like someone has installed an internally regulated alternator on the engine. This would eliminate the need for the firewall mounted voltage regulator. The truck is likely switched over to negative ground as I've seen several reman alternators that are not polarity marked when negative ground, but marked with either a "P", or "positive", if positive ground.

Rob

how can i be sure what ground it has

Using a "test light", clamp the test light cround clamp to the truck frame (clean the paint & rust off where the clamp is placed to insure a good connection).

Touch the test light probe to the positive bat. cable connection, if the light comes on, then your system is negative ground. If the light comes on when you touch the test light probe to the neg. bat. cable connection, then your system is positive ground.

No batteries in it? Then as Rob said, you can tell which cable was positive because the terminal hole is larger, and the negative cable has a smaller terminal hole.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"