So Much For My Big Plans...

other dog

I was going to go to Altavista and get a new serpentine belt,a battery,and a K&N filter cleaning kit for the pickup today. First I had to get another checkbook because I wrote the last one in the old one Saturday morning...except I didn't have any more. Don't know why I didn't notice the last one was the last one in the box.Maybe I thought the two empty boxes that I didn't throw away were full of checks.

Got in too late to go to the bank Friday night,so my paycheck is still in the box at the shop...no checks,no cash,garden's drying up and dying-think there's still some beer in the cooler outside though...might as well I guess.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

I was going to go to Altavista and get a new serpentine belt,a battery,and a K&N filter cleaning kit for the pickup today. First I had to get another checkbook because I wrote the last one in the old one Saturday morning...except I didn't have any more. Don't know why I didn't notice the last one was the last one in the box.Maybe I thought the two empty boxes that I didn't throw away were full of checks.

Got in too late to go to the bank Friday night,so my paycheck is still in the box at the shop...no checks,no cash,garden's drying up and dying-think there's still some beer in the cooler outside though...might as well I guess.

Drink the cold beer, then piss on the garden. Two problems solved with both satisfied.

Don't be so quick to jump to conclusions. There is a bright side to everything. Furthermore, you can't spend money you don't have.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

But the government can though. :rolleyes:

Yup they can and do. But they have a stupid populace to pay for it in the millions.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Yup they can and do. But they have a stupid populace to pay for it in the millions.

Rob

that's millions with a "B" probably.

I'm out grilling for the 3rd. day in a row.I like it though. We gave all the leftovers to the "guests" Saturday and yesterday. It's in the upper 90's here now,90's tomorrow,and supposed to hit 100 again Wednesday.Garden looks terrible.

that's millions with a "B" probably.

I'm out grilling for the 3rd. day in a row.I like it though. We gave all the leftovers to the "guests" Saturday and yesterday. It's in the upper 90's here now,90's tomorrow,and supposed to hit 100 again Wednesday.Garden looks terrible.

Got to do a little cookin'out myself this weekend! we went up to my cousins'up in drakes branch,VA, he has a BIG 4th of july BBQ every year, next year wll make 20 consecutive years,we had every kind of food you can think of! ribs,fish,chicken,burgers,dogs you name it! got to see a lot of family i normally don't cross paths with too often. Had'nt seen him in a good long while (he runs a truck too) turns out he's got a B-73 covered up with a tarp out back! factory sleeper, cummins, tri-plex so, i'm gonna see what goes on with that, its pretty rough, but complete, he told me he had plans to restore it, just ran outta' $$$$$$ and kinda' lost interest in it so we'll see...................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Got to do a little cookin'out myself this weekend! we went up to my cousins'up in drakes branch,VA, he has a BIG 4th of july BBQ every year, next year wll make 20 consecutive years,we had every kind of food you can think of! ribs,fish,chicken,burgers,dogs you name it! got to see a lot of family i normally don't cross paths with too often. Had'nt seen him in a good long while (he runs a truck too) turns out he's got a B-73 covered up with a tarp out back! factory sleeper, cummins, tri-plex so, i'm gonna see what goes on with that, its pretty rough, but complete, he told me he had plans to restore it, just ran outta' $$$$$$ and kinda' lost interest in it so we'll see...................Mark

You shoulda stopped by,Drakes Branch is a stones throw from here- if ya got a really good arm...but then you could play for the Yankees.

We used to haul a lot of Lumber out of Drakes Branch when I drove for H.H.Moore, had loads going to Cortland,N.Y. and Meadville,Pa. pretty regularly. Can't remember the name of the sawmill,but it's probably the only one there.

You shoulda stopped by,Drakes Branch is a stones throw from here- if ya got a really good arm...but then you could play for the Yankees.

We used to haul a lot of Lumber out of Drakes Branch when I drove for H.H.Moore, had loads going to Cortland,N.Y. and Meadville,Pa. pretty regularly. Can't remember the name of the sawmill,but it's probably the only one there.

I've been meaning to take a ride up that way sometime,i heard tell theres a trucking outfit around there with a bunch of old macks sitting around, maguire trucking??? my grandparents lived up that way for a good number of years, right off 360 at wylliesburg. spent some summers there when i was a kid, but don't really know much about the area, i sure do like to run 288/ then 360 outta' richmond when coming home from the north, lot less traffic/stress/ BS...can get right with it too! never had any "bear trouble" runnin' the woods!......Mark

I've been meaning to take a ride up that way sometime,i heard tell theres a trucking outfit around there with a bunch of old macks sitting around, maguire trucking??? my grandparents lived up that way for a good number of years, right off 360 at wylliesburg. spent some summers there when i was a kid, but don't really know much about the area, i sure do like to run 288/ then 360 outta' richmond when coming home from the north, lot less traffic/stress/ BS...can get right with it too! never had any "bear trouble" runnin' the woods!......Mark

A lot of trucks used to run 29 to Danville,58 to South Boston,then 360 to Richmond out of the Carolinas for that very reason,instead of I-85 to I-95. Branch trucks always ran 360.

If you take 360 from South Boston up to Wylliesburg,turn on rt. 15 south towards Clarksville-right across from the Tastee-Freez- and McGuire is about a mile or so on the left. Never seen any old Macks sitting around,but i've never stopped to look either.

By the way, i'm taking my vacation the first week of August. Hope to go to Lincolnton,N.C. to the ATHS show July 31. Nocluejoe might go too. He came up here and stayed a couple of days last summer.Not sure of his plans this year.

A lot of trucks used to run 29 to Danville,58 to South Boston,then 360 to Richmond out of the Carolinas for that very reason,instead of I-85 to I-95. Branch trucks always ran 360.

If you take 360 from South Boston up to Wylliesburg,turn on rt. 15 south towards Clarksville-right across from the Tastee-Freez- and McGuire is about a mile or so on the left. Never seen any old Macks sitting around,but i've never stopped to look either.

By the way, i'm taking my vacation the first week of August. Hope to go to Lincolnton,N.C. to the ATHS show July 31. Nocluejoe might go too. He came up here and stayed a couple of days last summer.Not sure of his plans this year.

I'm gonna try and make that one myself, but with the way the furniture plants are closing down here left and right, i kinda' gotta make my hay while the sun is shining! ya' know what i mean? LOL! but i'll get with you later on,see if i cant work it out, cause i'd sure like to go, i been runnin hard as i can, have'nt done much of anything but work since we moved! needing a break! i remember when i was a kid ALL the big freight outfits ran down 360, used to love and sit with my grandad and watch em' go by! PILOT,McLEAN,BRANCH,OVERNITE,THURSTON etc........Mark

Our family homestead is just before the VMA in Fork Union off of 15, Down the road in Kents Store is a farm with about 12 or 15 1940's / 50's Macks. None are too bad shape either. The gentleman hasn't decided which he wants to part with yet. I'll get some photos when I,m down there gain. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I'm gonna try and make that one myself, but with the way the furniture plants are closing down here left and right, i kinda' gotta make my hay while the sun is shining! ya' know what i mean? LOL! but i'll get with you later on,see if i cant work it out, cause i'd sure like to go, i been runnin hard as i can, have'nt done much of anything but work since we moved! needing a break! i remember when i was a kid ALL the big freight outfits ran down 360, used to love and sit with my grandad and watch em' go by! PILOT,McLEAN,BRANCH,OVERNITE,THURSTON etc........Mark

I remember those days well-

all photos courtesy of http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/trucks.htm

Some great pictures there! i remember those days too! my uncle buddy retired from Mclean with 40 years (he's gone now) my uncle cecil retired from ESTES with 35 years service, my uncle morris put in 20+ years at PILOT, then went on and ran a lowboy at J.H.Martin const. in richmond for another 20 years. I never knew roadway ran crackerboxes, never saw one! my uncle buddy always liked the crakerbox for some reason! last truck he ran for them was a GMC brigadier,8V-92 detroit, he worked a short time for food lion after he "officially" retired, ran a daycab road commode for them. Used to love to hear them trucks roll by all hours of the night, have some real good memories spending time at my grandparents house....Mark

Some great pictures there! i remember those days too! my uncle buddy retired from Mclean with 40 years (he's gone now) my uncle cecil retired from ESTES with 35 years service, my uncle morris put in 20+ years at PILOT, then went on and ran a lowboy at J.H.Martin const. in richmond for another 20 years. I never knew roadway ran crackerboxes, never saw one! my uncle buddy always liked the crakerbox for some reason! last truck he ran for them was a GMC brigadier,8V-92 detroit, he worked a short time for food lion after he "officially" retired, ran a daycab road commode for them. Used to love to hear them trucks roll by all hours of the night, have some real good memories spending time at my grandparents house....Mark

check this out then

check this out then

Man oh man! that takes me back! been a LONG,LONG time since i heard a screamin' detroit! other than a truck show, was'nt sure if i'd ever hear that sound again1 thanks!......Mark

• 2 weeks later...

I sure remember the cracker boxes. Ya could not ever forget the sound of the screamin engine. The company I recall was Jack Cole here in Nashville. I also remember the 50's GMC's I call longnose conventionals with round headlights and 6-71 2cycle screamin through every gear and could hear them for several miles.

mike

I sure remember the cracker boxes. Ya could not ever forget the sound of the screamin engine. The company I recall was Jack Cole here in Nashville. I also remember the 50's GMC's I call longnose conventionals with round headlights and 6-71 2cycle screamin through every gear and could hear them for several miles.

mike

Hi Mike, your photo is of a "Cannonball. The "Crackerbox was a cabover truck.

Rob

Rob

Yes Rob, I did not have a photo of a Crackerbox at this time so when I was speaking of the 50's GMC's I had this Cannonball from a truck show this spring in Knoxville. This truck has a gas engine.

mike

Rob

These are "cannonballs", Jack Cole and McLean, with an H-model in the middle.

not to be nit-pickin or anything. I got a couple of DVD's of the old "Cannonball" TV show.

I'd drive this.

Yes, but the question is for how long without a/c in the summer, little heat in the winter, no p/s, about 220hp, (on the high side) rigid seat mounting, little to no sound insulation, spring suspension, etc.

Gotta admire the "old timers" who got it done.

Nice truck by the way.

Rob