Turbo Questions For Fjh Or Mackpro68

Purchased truck with 440,000 miles on it. Was told it had a fresh service. At 451,000 did complete service oil and filters. At 451,000 it did not use a drop of oil.through this 11,000 miles

It appeared 1 quart low on the dipstick when I filled it up at the time of the service. At 255,000 it showed about 2 quarts low. At 456,600 it read almost a gallon low. Noticed frame was wet below turbocharger. I don't know if it is coming from the turbocharger but it is wet below it. And the linkage that controls the pitch appears to be damp. Am headed west out of Cheyenne Wyoming today. Am going to be pulling over major mountains today. Will do my best to keep exhaust temp below 1000 degrees.

This truck had turbocharger replaced between 390,000 and 400,000 miles. Was wondering if there would be any warranty on this turbocharger and if the warranty would carry over to the new owner?

I know I lean on you guys a lot but I really appreciate your help.

Purchased truck with 440,000 miles on it. Was told it had a fresh service. At 251,000 did complete service oil and filters. At 251,000 it did not use a drop of oil.

It appeared 1 quart low on the dipstick when I filled it up. At 255,000 it showed about 2 quarts low. At 456,600 it read almost a gallon low. Noticed frame was wet below turbocharger. I don't know if it is coming from the turbocharger but it is wet below it. And the linkage that controls the ditch appears to be damp. Am headed west out of Cheyenne Wyoming today. Am going to be pulling over major mountains today. Will do my best to keep exhaust temp below 1000 degrees.

This truck had turbocharger replaced between 390,000 and 400,000 miles. Was wondering if there would be any warranty on this turbocharger and if the warranty would carry over to the new owner?

I.m doubtfull on the warrenty thing Chuck 68 be the man to talk to.

Parts warrenty I beleive is a Year, Transferable ? Duno!

Make sure its not the turbo drain tube!

Purchased truck with 440,000 miles on it. Was told it had a fresh service. At 251,000 did complete service oil and filters. At 251,000 it did not use a drop of oil.

It appeared 1 quart low on the dipstick when I filled it up. At 255,000 it showed about 2 quarts low. At 456,600 it read almost a gallon low. Noticed frame was wet below turbocharger. I don't know if it is coming from the turbocharger but it is wet below it. And the linkage that controls the ditch appears to be damp. Am headed west out of Cheyenne Wyoming today. Am going to be pulling over major mountains today. Will do my best to keep exhaust temp below 1000 degrees.

We have had a rash of reman ASET AC turbos leak oil as you describe. It seems to leak where the center section bolts on to the rear exhaust section (by the actuator). It is never a bad oil leak, just a little drip onto the frame rail. I will have to check on warranty on the purchased turbo. Do you have the reciet of where it was bought and/or put on? You must have the reciet. Also did you change to a different brand of oil than what was used before? We had a ASET that we sold new and always used Mack bulldog oil, the truck got traded in and we resold it and the new customer changed over to Rotella and the engine started using oil like crazy. We switched back to Bulldog oil and no problems. I know Shell Rotella is one of the best oils out there but this engine didnt like it.

We have had a rash of reman ASET AC turbos leak oil as you describe. It seems to leak where the center section bolts on to the rear exhaust section (by the actuator). It is never a bad oil leak, just a little drip onto the frame rail. I will have to check on warranty on the purchased turbo. Do you have the reciet of where it was bought and/or put on? You must have the reciet. Also did you change to a different brand of oil than what was used before? We had a ASET that we sold new and always used Mack bulldog oil, the truck got traded in and we resold it and the new customer changed over to Rotella and the engine started using oil like crazy. We switched back to Bulldog oil and no problems. I know Shell Rotella is one of the best oils out there but this engine didnt like it.

I've been using Rotella almost exclusively since I bought my truck. It uses oil, and the tube from the turbo to the oil fill has a buildup of leaked & cooked on oil. I tried using Bulldog once, and I still used oil...and the jakes quit working after 20,000 miles. Not only that, but the ONLY place around here that carried it is the Mack dealer in C'dale...Cape doesn't, and no other stores carry it so it's tough to get your hands on. ...That and it's only carried in the 1-gallon jugs, not the 5-gallon buckets like I prefer. I switched to Delvac because it was on sale cheap. I'm back to using just Rotella...and the jakes have somewhat returned...on "high" work like they are on "low", and on "low" they don't do anything. The convenience of being able to buy it just about anywhere (and in the 5-gallon buckets) almost makes it worth the usage that hasn't gone away with any of the oils I've tried. I just wish them jakes worked right again. :pat:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

That is exactly where it is leaking dripping down on the framerail. I received 40 pages of the work that has been done to this truck. It was done at the Mack shop in Viriginia Beach. Not sure on the date, will have to check when I get home. When I changed the oil I used Rotella 15w40. I will find out what kind of oil was used in it next week.

I hope it is that easy.

Is the oil leak on the turbo something that needs to be addressed immediately or is it an oil leak that will piss me off for a long time?

Glad I cme through Wyoming instead of Colorado. I am getting almost nothing out of the engine break. I don't know what is up with that.

I've been using Rotella almost exclusively since I bought my truck. It uses oil, and the tube from the turbo to the oil fill has a buildup of leaked & cooked on oil. I tried using Bulldog once, and I still used oil...and the jakes quit working after 20,000 miles. Not only that, but the ONLY place around here that carried it is the Mack dealer in C'dale...Cape doesn't, and no other stores carry it so it's tough to get your hands on. ...That and it's only carried in the 1-gallon jugs, not the 5-gallon buckets like I prefer. I switched to Delvac because it was on sale cheap. I'm back to using just Rotella...and the jakes have somewhat returned...on "high" work like they are on "low", and on "low" they don't do anything. The convenience of being able to buy it just about anywhere (and in the 5-gallon buckets) almost makes it worth the usage that hasn't gone away with any of the oils I've tried. I just wish them jakes worked right again. :pat:

Just came through Wyoming, glad I didn't go through Colorado because my enginebreak is doing the samne thing. High is low and low is nothing. Scarey in the hills.

Just came through Wyoming, glad I didn't go through Colorado because my enginebreak is doing the samne thing. High is low and low is nothing. Scarey in the hills.

If its a warrenty item you should get it delt with!Is the fault light coming on?If there is a solnoid problem the computer will throw a engine brake driver code!Question Did those guys replace any rocker bolts?Were there any charged out on any of the reciepts you got, Just a thought (not tring to put the fear of god into you) but if rocker bolts are backing off you may be loosing oil preasure to the rocker shaft.

If its a warrenty item you should get it delt with!Is the fault light coming on?If there is a solnoid problem the computer will throw a engine brake driver code!Question Did those guys replace any rocker bolts?Were there any charged out on any of the reciepts you got, Just a thought (not tring to put the fear of god into you) but if rocker bolts are backing off you may be loosing oil preasure to the rocker shaft.

The Mack dealer in Cape had mine all apart when it first started happening to mine. They said everything appeared to be working...had power to the solenoids...had oil pressure...but the dang things just don't work. No idiot lights, either...just very weak performance. :pat:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

I'm going to try to get it to Mackpro cause he is the closest to where I live. Have him run the overhead and check everything out.

Would problems with the rocker bolts be covered under engine warranty? Am rapidly approching the end of warranty, would extended warranty be worth it? I'm having trouble getting my local dealership to talk to me about it since I didn't buy this truck there.

I'm going to try to get it to Mackpro cause he is the closest to where I live. Have him run the overhead and check everything out.

Stop by here first and throw my truck up on your flatbed and have him look at it along with yours.

BUT...be glad you two don't have that shitty 'stealth' brake like I have...I'd rather have one that makes noise, that's the whole point of one isn't it???! :D

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

Where is he at?

I'm having trouble getting my local dealership to talk to me about it since I didn't buy this truck there.

I've run into that, too. I've got 3 Mack dealers (or 1 dealer with 3 locations) within an hour of here...one location (35 miles north) fixes the truck and takes my money, but they don't seem to take me seriously....they have customers that have been there longer and have more trucks, and they get the attention. Then there's the one I usually go to (18 miles South). At first, it was REALLY tough getting in there, too...same reason. I had a LITTLE history with them, though, because I used to haul logs for a company that was in there pretty regular so at least I was a familiar face. Been going to them almost exclusively for the past couple years and they are starting to treat me like a regular. The third location (60 miles east) I've only been to once...that was when my jakes first started acting up and I thought maybe it was the switch. They seemed to know what they were talking about when I was talking to them, but I was needing to get back on the road and they wouldn't have been able to get me in until the next morning.

What's odd, though, is I could ask the same exact question at the 2 locations I typically go to, and get 2 totally different answers. :pat:

Where is he at?

I've run into that, too. I've got 3 Mack dealers (or 1 dealer with 3 locations) within an hour of here...one location (35 miles north) fixes the truck and takes my money, but they don't seem to take me seriously....they have customers that have been there longer and have more trucks, and they get the attention. Then there's the one I usually go to (18 miles South). At first, it was REALLY tough getting in there, too...same reason. I had a LITTLE history with them, though, because I used to haul logs for a company that was in there pretty regular so at least I was a familiar face. Been going to them almost exclusively for the past couple years and they are starting to treat me like a regular. The third location (60 miles east) I've only been to once...that was when my jakes first started acting up and I thought maybe it was the switch. They seemed to know what they were talking about when I was talking to them, but I was needing to get back on the road and they wouldn't have been able to get me in until the next morning.

What's odd, though, is I could ask the same exact question at the 2 locations I typically go to, and get 2 totally different answers. :pat:

i hope to build a working relationship at mackpro's place, have all my schedualled stuff done there and hopfully i retire before he does.

i hope to build a working relationship at mackpro's place, have all my schedualled stuff done there and hopfully i retire before he does.

We have several trucks with the oil leak and the ones out of warranty keep on trucking. Look at the date on the turbo replacment ticket and I will look up the ASET reman turbo warranty and see if we can get it covered. I will send in a warranty E-service to see what Mack's offical word on the problem is. I would like to check out your engine brake as well. Not to scare you but I had a cracked rocker arm shaft last week that caused your same problem.

We have several trucks with the oil leak and the ones out of warranty keep on trucking. Look at the date on the turbo replacment ticket and I will look up the ASET reman turbo warranty and see if we can get it covered. I will send in a warranty E-service to see what Mack's offical word on the problem is. I would like to check out your engine brake as well. Not to scare you but I had a cracked rocker arm shaft last week that caused your same problem.

this truck does not run like a sewing machine. when you lay in the berth you can feel that something is not right, all other 460's ive been around where smooth as silk.

i was thinking it would be okay till i could get it in to you.

i mite fall in love all over again once your through with it. if it turns out that good well see what you can do to fix up the wife.

this truck does not run like a sewing machine. when you lay in the berth you can feel that something is not right, all other 460's ive been around where smooth as silk.

i mite fall in love all over again once your through with it. if it turns out that good well see what you can do to fix up the wife.

The two I've driven...two 2000 460's, both idled pretty rough, kinda jumpy I guess you'd say...though I still like how those engines sound the best out of all of them...

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

I can give you the # of a good plastic surgon in Nashville that retourqued my wifes top end. Nice "D" now.

Whereabouts in W.KY are you? :idunno: I'm in So.IL...not too far from W.KY. Guys in Cape had mine apart and couldn't find anything wrong... :pat:

Whereabouts in W.KY are you? :idunno: I'm in So.IL...not too far from W.KY. Guys in Cape had mine apart and couldn't find anything wrong... :pat:

I work for the same shop in Paducah. Yours is a pre-ETECH engine aint it? The engine brake on thoses are somewhat trouble free. There are 2 different lash settings on thoses brakes , one is .085" but I cant remember the other. There are some upgrades to those I think. Wonder if the freeze plug fell out of the rocker arm shaft on yours? It happens on alot of ETECHs with the Jacobs brake. The broken rocker arm shafts only happen on the ASET's with the Powerleash brake.

I work for the same shop in Paducah. Yours is a pre-ETECH engine aint it? The engine brake on thoses are somewhat trouble free. There are 2 different lash settings on thoses brakes , one is .085" but I cant remember the other. There are some upgrades to those I think. Wonder if the freeze plug fell out of the rocker arm shaft on yours? It happens on alot of ETECHs with the Jacobs brake. The broken rocker arm shafts only happen on the ASET's with the Powerleash brake.

135908. That'll tell ya more about my truck than I know. :pat:

This is what my wife found and am having her load it onto bmt. Date is December 08 at 359,712. It has less than a 100,000 miles but I might be screwed on time.

Let it idle for 16 hours last night and when i left the truckstop this morning smoked like an old pos detroit that was on fire.

Smoke cleared up after a few miles.

post-4852-127161651989_thumb.jpg

would it be best to make it home take off turbo and drive it to where ever they rebuild them???

or just bite the bullit or (naval artillery shell) and purchase a brand new one?????

jerryb just bought one on ebay for 500 bucks.

maybe i could work something out with him, like my turbo and what ever it cost to have one rebuilt

havn't heard from him in a while. don't know whether he's bizzy or mad?????????????

This is what my wife found and am having her load it onto bmt. Date is December 08 at 359,712. It has less than a 100,000 miles but I might be screwed on time.

Let it idle for 16 hours last night and when i left the truckstop this morning smoked like an old pos detroit that was on fire.

Smoke cleared up after a few miles.

I'll look into it for warranty monday morning.

would it be best to make it home take off turbo and drive it to where ever they rebuild them???

or just bite the bullit or (naval artillery shell) and purchase a brand new one?????

jerryb just bought one on ebay for 500 bucks.

maybe i could work something out with him, like my turbo and what ever it cost to have one rebuilt

havn't heard from him in a while. don't know whether he's bizzy or mad?????????????

>Let it idle for 16 hours last night and when i left the truckstop this morning smoked like an old pos detroit that was on fire. <

Far as Im concerned ,look no further than that statment above For your oil burning problem and the turbo leak!

Idling is the absolute Worst ,thing you can do to a diesel or any kind of engine No ,load is a no no period!

135908. That'll tell ya more about my truck than I know. :pat:

Yours is a ETECH 460 with a Jacobs brake. Does the engine brake work good when it's cold (first 5-8 miles)? If it does it needs the external oil line kit installed for more oil pressure to Jakes. There are some other upgrades as well.