Did My First Solo Back

Double L

I did my first solo back up with a daycab and 53 ft trailer. I got her in with only ONE pull up. I feel so proud and confident of myself I rather just get a truck and go for the road test.

Actually, 53 footers are easy....ESPECIALLY behind short wheelbase tractors. Shorter trailers with longer tractors make things a little more interesting. When ya get good, you'll be able to back a trailer off a 2-lane road into a 1-lane driveway in high-reverse at full throttle. :thumb:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Actually, 53 footers are easy....ESPECIALLY behind short wheelbase tractors. Shorter trailers with longer tractors make things a little more interesting. When ya get good, you'll be able to back a trailer off a 2-lane road into a 1-lane driveway in high-reverse at full throttle. :thumb:

That is true, that totally slipped my mind but I had fun.

That is true, that totally slipped my mind but I had fun.

And when ya get to the point where you could practically back up in your sleep, you'll be backing off a 2-lane road into a 1-lane driveway in high-reverse at full throttle after a 1-day round trip that shouldda taken ya 3 days to complete :wacko:

Then ya get 2 days off at home while your truck catches up to ya :banana:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Good job 53' trailers back easy but the blind spots can be a PITA.

and yes a backing a long tractor with a short trailer is no fun ....even when your good LOL!!!

I have enough "fun" with my 240" WB tractor and 39' trailer. I could turn the wheel full lock in either direction and drive around in circles and never get the trailer to pivot on it's axles. A 28' trailer would absolutely suck behind my truck. :pat:

I have enough "fun" with my 240" WB tractor and 39' trailer. I could turn the wheel full lock in either direction and drive around in circles and never get the trailer to pivot on it's axles. A 28' trailer would absolutely suck behind my truck. :pat:

I'll see your 28 footer and raise you my 23 footer.

When you know you have the hang of it is when you jump in a dump truck/tandem/whatever and when you're backing up you turn the wrong way, as if you're still backing up with a trailer. I've hit stuff doing that.

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

The worst part about it all was my left leg was shaking when it was all said and done.

I'm sure the clutch felt the same way

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

Im new to the site,just starting out? backing is probably the hardest thing to master,just stick with it,keep your patience,watch what you're doing and REMEMBER no one was born knowing how to drive a truck! its important to get out and look!...i have been driving for almost 30 years,and i still do!...believe me,if its something you WANT to do,it gets easier with time and practice!.....best of luck,mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Im new to the site,just starting out? backing is probably the hardest thing to master,just stick with it,keep your patience,watch what you're doing and REMEMBER no one was born knowing how to drive a truck! its important to get out and look!...i have been driving for almost 30 years,and i still do!...believe me,if its something you WANT to do,it gets easier with time and practice!.....best of luck,mark

Hell, I may as well have been. Grandpa taught me how to back a trailer as soon as I could reach the pedal on the lawn tractor...been doing it without any trouble ever since. B)

The thing to remember whenever you are hooked to a trailer is that you are NOT driving the truck pulling the trailer. You are driving the trailer, and the truck is just the steer tires. Visualize where you want the trailer to go, then put it there.

If ya really want a challenge, though, you oughtta try driving wreckers. Hook a car from the rear that has it's front tires turned in either direction. Yeah, it'll be dog-walking behind you all the way back to the yard. Now back it into the space ya need it to be in 'til the owner comes to claim it. :thumb:

I'll see your 28 footer and raise you my 23 footer.

When you know you have the hang of it is when you jump in a dump truck/tandem/whatever and when you're backing up you turn the wrong way, as if you're still backing up with a trailer. I've hit stuff doing that.

I had that problem when I first started driving school buses. I didn't hit anything, though... :P

Hell, I may as well have been. Grandpa taught me how to back a trailer as soon as I could reach the pedal on the lawn tractor...been doing it without any trouble ever since. B)

The thing to remember whenever you are hooked to a trailer is that you are NOT driving the truck pulling the trailer. You are driving the trailer, and the truck is just the steer tires. Visualize where you want the trailer to go, then put it there.

If ya really want a challenge, though, you oughtta try driving wreckers. Hook a car from the rear that has it's front tires turned in either direction. Yeah, it'll be dog-walking behind you all the way back to the yard. Now back it into the space ya need it to be in 'til the owner comes to claim it. :thumb:

Sure know what you mean! my grandfather and father taught me too! but i have to say, (not because he was my dad) but my old man was the backinst'up S.O.B i have ever seen! lol!

I consider my self good at driving and better than most backing up. But the best guy I have seen backing up was this old guy named Don. he was in his late 50s and always a live wire. to much caffine? drugs? I dont know. He was one of the drivers that helped me get my licence and while teaching me the correct way to drive 99% of the time, once a week he had to show me some new "trick". He drove a 87 mack with a air shift 7 speed. would always back up in 4th and could get that 22' end dump trailer in any spot in his first try. (2nd try if he saw a hot chick walking across the street) Seen him do front wheel stands at a stop light. drive thru any soft muddy wet ground and make it look like he was on dry pavement. dump a load in spots you would think he should have gone over... talk his way out of a ticket. have 10k more of a load in his trailer but walk you from every stop light... you name it he could out do you. Not a guy anyone would really want in your truck but he was good at what he did and a pro at backing. And even with all the abuse he put the trucks thru he never tore stuff up like the others did..always wondered how he did it LOL!!!!.

I was sitting at a truckstop in ND, watching the 30 day wonders backing in. A few got backed in after many trys. most gave up and found a pull though or parked in the driveway.... A canadian came in.. looped around, and backed in ,pulling up once...

BTW... the canadian was pullig a B train....

Edited by peterj

I was sitting at a truckstop in ND, watching the 30 day wonders backing in. A few got backed in after many trys. most gave up and found a pull though or parked in the driveway.... A canadian came in.. looped around, and backed in ,pulling up once...

BTW... the canadian was pullig a B train....

Man i'm amazed at some of the foolishness i see on a daily basis on the road anymore! I think there are as many idiots in trucks as cars these days,thats a sad state of affairs!

I know the feeling-some days I ain't too good at going forward, much less backing up.

Man i know that feeling! lol! seems somedays i can hit the worst blindside dock in one shot,but give me a wide open dock with lines painted on the ground and i can't get straight to save my ass!

Man i'm amazed at some of the foolishness i see on a daily basis on the road anymore! I think there are as many idiots in trucks as cars these days,thats a sad state of affairs!

Just remember...everyone who starts driving truck has been an idiot driving a car for several years prior...and a good size chunk of them failed at prior careers (if they even had a job) before climbing into a truck. :pat:

Man i know that feeling! lol! seems somedays i can hit the worst blindside dock in one shot,but give me a wide open dock with lines painted on the ground and i can't get straight to save my ass!

Wouldn't it save your ass if you were though...?

I had that problem when I first started driving school buses. I didn't hit anything, though... :P

Still can't see you driving a school bus. Where'd you put the gun rack?

All the bus drivers with the exception of one, bore a very close resemblance in all respects to Roseanne.

Still can't see you driving a school bus. Where'd you put the gun rack?

All the bus drivers with the exception of one, bore a very close resemblance in all respects to Roseanne.

I did it for a semester...worked out great, because I could drive a morning route, go to class, drive an afternoon route, then go to my regular part time job. Extra $125/week. On the nights I wasn't working my other job, I would pick up routes in the city bus. :thumb:

I have every endorsement on my license...and the only restriction is a J12. Only vehicle I can't legally drive on the road is a combination bus, 'cuz the passenger endorsement is only good up through a class B. I need to find a passenger vehicle and a 10K+ GWR trailer to pull behind it and go get that restriction removed... :pat: