I bought this '78 F Model in my avitar today. 237 w 5 speed-supposedly a strong runner, but has been sitting for 2 years. I'm planning on trying to get it running before I bring it home-actually so I can bring it home, and the 4 batts are dead and probably toast. Can I get by trying to start this w 2 12 Volts that I have in the shop, or will I need all 4? Come to think of it I didn't look at it close enough-are there 4 12volt batts, or 4 6v? Thanks-Mike

Is it just me or did those buffalo wings taste like chicken?

I bought this '78 F Model in my avitar today. 237 w 5 speed-supposedly a strong runner, but has been sitting for 2 years. I'm planning on trying to get it running before I bring it home-actually so I can bring it home, and the 4 batts are dead and probably toast. Can I get by trying to start this w 2 12 Volts that I have in the shop, or will I need all 4? Come to think of it I didn't look at it close enough-are there 4 12volt batts, or 4 6v? Thanks-Mike

I agree,2 12 volt batteries should be enough to turn it over/start,of course if it has been sitting that long MAKE DAM SURE you have oil pressure when cranking! looks good though! keep us posted how its going....glad to help however possible...mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

2 car batts will start it right up if it not to cold out and the engine does not need more than a 1-2 min of cranking to get it going. most of these old diesel will fire right up if the fuel system is still primed.

most late 70s macks I have been around were 12V start so you can just use 2 standard batts.

however it could be a 24V start system but you will just have to check. look at the volt meter sometimes it gives it away if its 12 or 24V system.

post some more pics and welcome to the club....

Got the cab cleaned out (over 1 full garbage can), tons of mouse crap, driveshaft hooked back up, spun her over a couple of times until the batt died. Next trip she'll be running. Mike

Edited by itlldo1

looks good. Should look better when fixed up. Congrats on the purchase.

Does it have an "engine stop" knob? (usually red) Pull that out while crancking for a little, til some oil pressure shows. Then push in to fire. (Fuel shut off) May smoke and sputter, sound like crap until all cyl are firing and all air is out of fuel lines

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

Got her running and made it home today. She inhaled a mouse's nest that was inside the air cleaner, but after clearing that out of the turbo-and changing some filters for good luck-made it the rest of the way w/o incident. Now the work starts-really looking forward to it. Mike