What Happened To The Mack Gas Turbine Proto Types?

I'm curious as to what happened to the Gas Turbine Prototype :mack1: 's. I know about the Cruiseliner

in the Mack Museum but I've only seen a couple of pitures of it. I know there was 3, so what happened to the other 2? I also know one was a Superliner but what was the 3rd? My Dad knows where there was a Superliner

that had a Gas Turbine sign on the hood. :mack1:It had no engine but it still had the big Turbine stacks on it.

It was still white and blue and it was in really good shape. I included 3 pictures

I found 2 of the Superliner and 1 of the Cruisliner but I don't know if the Superliner is the one my Dad found or not because I never seen it myself. If

:mack1: only had the one Gas Turbine Superliner then He found it, but it has since disappeared. Thanks for any help on the matter, Josh. :mack1::SMOKIE-LFT:

When Mack was bled dry by the Signal companies I believe the Signal companies also owned Garret gas turbine.

If I remember right they tried to put the Garret turbine into the above macks for test trial purposes. As with all

automotive or railroad turbines they just burned to much fuel. On the other hand gas turbines work out well for

the the military in air and sea power. Their power and performance can't be denied. Of course the tax payers pay the fuel bill. To bad Mack doesn't have the authority to inovate on their own any more. They certainly had more than their share of inovations.

The Cruiseliner is at the Mack Trucks Historical Museum in Allentown. I am lucky enough to have been included in a test run with this beast in October of 2007 or so. I have video of the fire up and running it around. It is a different piece!

The Superliner was de-turbined and converted back to a diesel powered tractor and sold when the turbine program ended.

Interested in Old Trucks? Check out:

www.antiquetruckclubofamerica.org

• 3 months later...

scan0004-4.jpg

Kevin

Interesting set of photos! What is more interesting is the fact that those two 19" racks full of monitoring equipment could be replaced with a USB data aquisition box or two and a laptop :P

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

The Mack Museum says the Cruiseliner is the only one known to be in existence. The three trucks according to the museum were the cruiseliner, an F model, and one in an R. Apparently one of the trucks was wrecked and one disappeared. Since we know the cruiseliner is in the museum and the R model was spotted briefly we should be able to safely assume that the F model was wrecked. There is a possibility that the R model is still out there somewhere.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

Wow i learn somthing new every day & it really makes my day when i learn more history about :mack1:B)

Never knew :MackLogo: experimented w/ gas turbines this very Interresting.. & cool pics too.

Later yall

:mack1:

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude: