I'm looking in to buying a old B-61 mack. Its been sitting in a field for atleast 6 years it hasn't been run for 6 years and some kids have got up on the drivers side of the cab and jumped on it denting it in pretty deep. It has no main drive shaft, moderate to heavey rust, missing chrome. Big story behind this truck to me another guy has it and i've asked him to sell it to me i've got a week to find out if he wants to sell it. Today is the 29th of july if someone please could tell me what something like this is worth money wise before i jump on it.

I'm looking in to buying a old B-61 mack. Its been sitting in a field for atleast 6 years it hasn't been run for 6 years and some kids have got up on the drivers side of the cab and jumped on it denting it in pretty deep. It has no main drive shaft, moderate to heavey rust, missing chrome. Big story behind this truck to me another guy has it and i've asked him to sell it to me i've got a week to find out if he wants to sell it. Today is the 29th of july if someone please could tell me what something like this is worth money wise before i jump on it.

you have noticed no one rushed in with an opinion. you've got to decide this on your own. My Mack was in much better shape when I bought it and I still spent 10s of thousands before it was show worthy- or even usable. Not a cheap hobby, even if you do your own work- I don't so I probably over spend. figure on getting 1/2 back if you are lucky, so don't kid youself that it is an investment. Do it for the joy, fun and love of old iron. A mack that has not run for six years will probably run again without much, hence the term Mack tough, but running is just smoke in the yard if you don't get the rest done

It boils down to how bad you want it and how bad he wants to sell it. Depending on what part of the country you are standing it will dictate the price. It's very hard to say "It's worth XX dollars".

Finding a good cab will be more of an issue, IF you can't fix what you have. How complete is everything else? It sounds like it's a under a $1000 type truck.

Like Bmoto mentioned....you have to want to throw money away cause if you put alot into restoring it, you likely won't get it back. It is very hard to anyway. Even worse if you have to pay others to do any of the work.

I had $2500 in my B, but it was a pretty roadworth piece, lacking decent tires.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Here's my two cents, Here in upstate N.Y. i just got my 67 Mack for $400.00 with a rust free cab and good running main driveline components. My set back is that the double frame rails are shot from the cab back. Up here if you have a Mack R-model cab without rust you have a needle in a haystack. So like the other guys all said, It all boils down to how much it's worth to you personally, I do all my own body and paint and mechanical and im shooting to put roughly $5000.00 to 10.000 into the project before im ready for to show my old dog off. If you really love old trucks and picture yourself driving to a truck show it's a easy decision to make as long as you have spousal support. lmao B) Good Luck, Empire State Dog