Marker Lamps:

Does anybody know when the B model switched from the white frosted glass lenses for the marker lamps to the plastic ones? My 64 B61 has remnants of plastic lenses and all the other trucks have the glass ones. Also when was the shutter style changed?

Thanks,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

64 sounds about right for the shutters.

The 62 B613T that I had was equipped with the old type shutters, and the B61's that I drove for Richard Morris (64, 65, 66 models) all had the new type shutters with the smooth slats.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Does anybody know when the B model switched from the white frosted glass lenses for the marker lamps to the plastic ones? My 64 B61 has remnants of plastic lenses and all the other trucks have the glass ones. Also when was the shutter style changed?

Thanks,

Rob

Rob,

My B61 has the frosted glass lens. It was built in April 11-16 1962. I wonder if it is to have amber bulbs or just keep the clear bulbs?

mike

i believe all B models had the frosted glass marker lights. They were even carried over into the early R models and were put in the headlite panels. I always thought the plastic amber and white ones were replacements. could be wrong tho, i have seen some red lights also. you never know with Mack, seems they liked to use up some parts every now and a again also. once you think you have them figured out, you find out something you didnt know. Also the same for shutters, ive seen some late 50's B models with the smooth slat shutters and no bracket in the bottom to bolt the shell to. the older b models that hadthe bolt together headlite panels and radiator shell. After 50 years, you never know if it was built that way with left over parts or someone changed it along the way. Matt

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

Rob,

My B61 has the frosted glass lens. It was built in April 11-16 1962. I wonder if it is to have amber bulbs or just keep the clear bulbs?

mike

Clear.

Even the early DM R & U models had the clear "parking lights".

In 1968 they discontinued the parking lights and started using the amber side marker lights on the fenders, as did all truck manufacturers that year due to federal requirements.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"