Wobble At 35-40 Mph

macattack

i have a wobble on my 96 mack at about 35-40 mph. if i go faster the wobble goes away. i did notice my pass side rear insulator pads need replacing and also i just noticed one leaf spring on the camelback is broken on the same side.

do you think this could be my problem.

thanks in advance

Good luck chasing down that wobble. I've been trying for about 2 years now with mine, but to no avail.

So far...new front springs/shackles, new steers twice, new drives, shocks all around, tie rod ends, 3-axle alignment, centri-matic balancers (waste of money)...other things I'm sure I forgot.

Next up is going to be king pins and steel wheels for the inside wheels on the drives.

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

Good luck chasing down that wobble. I've been trying for about 2 years now with mine, but to no avail.

So far...new front springs/shackles, new steers twice, new drives, shocks all around, tie rod ends, 3-axle alignment, centri-matic balancers (waste of money)...other things I'm sure I forgot.

Next up is going to be king pins and steel wheels for the inside wheels on the drives.

long shot here we ran into a truck years back that had a bad bounce coming up from the rear!tried everthing in the book!

we finally ended up replacing hubs one at a time till we found a bad one!

I've seen several times through the years an out of balance condition attributed to brake drums as they age and rust. When a drum rusts eventually they flake off a portion of the casting and this causes the aforementioned condition. I've seen several two and three year old cars have a vibration or wobble after a collision that wasn't there prior and a new drum, or drums fixes the problem. Usually a high quality brake lathe with class seven, or eight spindle bearings is adequate to find the light spot.

I just changed the rear drums on my Dodge 1 ton truck last week due to severe rusting. Hell I smacked one with a hammer and know at least a pound of rusted material fell off. They had never been turned before but I went ahead and replaced them.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

The bounce seems to be coming from the right rear area of the truck. I'll watch the air suspension load gauge and the needle bounces up and down with the bounce I get.

Spring '09 I put all new shoes, drums, wheel seals, s-cams, slack adjusters and chambers...and swapped out the 6 outside aluminum wheels for different (shiny!) alum. wheels. Didn't affect the wobble any.

So maybe fjh is on to something with the hub.

The bounce seems to be coming from the right rear area of the truck. I'll watch the air suspension load gauge and the needle bounces up and down with the bounce I get.

Spring '09 I put all new shoes, drums, wheel seals, s-cams, slack adjusters and chambers...and swapped out the 6 outside aluminum wheels for different (shiny!) alum. wheels. Didn't affect the wobble any.

So maybe fjh is on to something with the hub.

>So maybe fjh is on to something with the hub

Gambi the truck we were having problems with was wagon wheels (spokes ) Not Hub pilot! Not saying it cant happen but less likly!

>So maybe fjh is on to something with the hub

Gambi the truck we were having problems with was wagon wheels (spokes ) Not Hub pilot! Not saying it cant happen but less likly!

Dammit! I deal with it because I assume nothing else is really wrong with it.

it can be from a bunch of things.

This seams its a common complaint on old r models mine does the same thing....sometimes?

bad U joint

bad center support bearing

bad tires

bent rim

flat spoted tires.

even heard a bad power divider cound send a vibration

unbalanced drive shaft.

badly worn torque arm bushings