Central's 1975 Dm897Sx

Guest 45LMSWM

Guest 45LMSWM

At the request of ThaddeusW, here are a few pics of Central Jersey Trucking & Rigging's 1975 DM897SX from back when Frank Conforti was still its driver. Photos were taken pre-2001/2002 by Dave Pearson. At the time, Frank Conforti was already running his own heavy hauling business and would rent Central's DM800 as needed, and would drive the truck for Central when they had work for it. He was the sole driver of that truck from 1991 to 2002.

The truck was built by Mack Canada in 1975 and spent @ 1 year pulling a dump trailer off highway in Canada. In 1976 it came to the States where it was purchased by DePhillips Crane of NYC, where it was mated to a 1974 Rogers 150 ton I-beam trailer with optional level deck insert. Trailer had hydraulics on both ends so the deck could be laid flat on the ground. The truck was later operated by Zano Industries of College Point, NY, before being purchased by Central in 1990.

Specs were as follows:

-1975 Mack DM897SX...built by Mack Canada. Truck originally used to pull off highway dump trailer.

-original Mack V8, either 325 or 375(can't remember) replaced by Cat 3406A 400 hp in 1990.

-original 5-speed Mack Transmission replaced by Fuller RTOO12613 13 speed main and 4-speed Spicer air-shift Auxilliary in 1990.

-new fully dressed DM800 cab installed in 1990.

-Mack 23,000lb. front axle

-Mack 100,000lb. Planidrive rears on Mack Walking Beam suspension

-S-cam air brakes on front axle, air over hydraulic wedge brakes on drive axles.

-Triple Frame

-14:00x24 Michelin XMP radials

-Holland 100 ton fifth wheel with 3 1/2" King Pin

-Top speed @ 45 MPH

post-1829-12634507800979_thumb.jpg

Moving a 4100 Manitowoc crawler crane for George Harms Construction somewhere @ 2000-2001

-John

Guest 45LMSWM

John, thank you so much! What is Central doing with it as of now? Just sitting on it?

They actually have been using it here and there lately. They moved a transformer with it a few months back and had it out on a job in PA as a pusher truck. They also just bought a Goldhofer line trailer, so it might see some use pulling that. They also just recently acquired a Peterbilt prime mover w/planetary rears, looks to be from the 80s or early 1990s, ex DG Equipment from Ohio(Central now owns DG).

I only ever drove the truck two or three times out on the road. Moved it alot on job sites and in the yard, but Central didn't want anyone but Frank driving it. He let me drive those few times empty, and once I took it out Bobtail to get the AC recharged. It was a beautiful truck, super tight. Everything worked as it should...something I am not all that used to.

-John

Guest 45LMSWM

Perfect prime mover for a Goldhofer! How many lines did they buy? Glad to hear its not sitting and rusting.

12 Lines

The problem with the big prime movers is the states are really starting to crack down on the axle loadings of the prime movers themselves. It takes quite a bit of counterweight to keep the drives from breaking loose when pulling a line trailer and you just can't put enough counterweight on them and get the axle weights in legal tolerances.

Not so bad with the "smaller" planetary drive tractors like this one, but when it comes to the Mack LRs & M45s, the big Pacifics, Clines, and so on, its a problem now. Rumor has it that Barnhart will be auctioning off the ex Marino/Gerosa LR & Autocar AP19 this spring as a result, and a lot of other companies are going with comparitively smaller trucks with Sisu planetaries and the like for that reason, among other things(like higher road speed).

-John

John, somebody still has a Mack LR still in service? Are those the same as the ones they used up the Arctic when they built the dew line? The only pics I ever saw of them were the ones in the Bulldog magazine a while back. Do you have any pics of one? I read they were 600 h.p. What did they have ....Detroits?

Guest 45LMSWM

Just in case you're interested, power is 12 cyl Cummins NVHB natuarally aspirated (400 hp) I'm not sure what trans is in them, some 2-stick Mack, could be a 9 or 10 speed.

Dave

Some of the older LRs had the Mack TRDX13, which was a 9 speed, same trans as in my 1945 LMSWM. Not sure how old, but I have an article from a Canadian Magazine that discusses its use in LRs, I'll have to dig it up, but I think these were in the older series of LRs that still used the L-model cab.

I also have a Mack LR parts book which shows an Allison Automatic transmission.

John

Guest 45LMSWM

John, somebody still has a Mack LR still in service? Are those the same as the ones they used up the Arctic when they built the dew line? The only pics I ever saw of them were the ones in the Bulldog magazine a while back. Do you have any pics of one? I read they were 600 h.p. What did they have ....Detroits?

The Aycock trucks have been out rather recently, or at least one of them has. I know one of the two has a bad engine currently. They were repainted into the red & black scheme when Aycock was affiliated with Marino a few years back, prior to that, they were yellow. At least one was operated during that period, as I know a gentleman who drove both the Aycock LR and Marino's ex Gerosa LR around the same time. Said he preferred the Aycock truck over the Marino LR.

As for operating LRs, Marino's was still running in the last year and Duffy Crane & Hauling of Colorado still has one. I know of a few more that are out there, but cant remember the names off the top of my head. Mack Trailer in Jamaica, Queens, NY, had one that they operated until @ 1991.

-John

Thanks for the pics and info. It's cool to see trucks like that still working. I have a couple books on the history of Mack and they mention the LR, but there was no pics.

So the ones they used in the Arctic....is it possible they had Cummins in them?

Guest 45LMSWM

Is that the Conforti 's Mack to day is also a DM 897SX ??

Can you speak me about this truck ?Is this the same that the Central Jersey Trucking DM ?

Thanks for the answers

Pat

No, they are two different trucks.

Central still owns their 1975 DM897SX. Central also owned a 1988 DM888SX tandem tractor which has been owned by Conforti since 1995, but it is a smaller truck, with 58 rears and 12x24 rubber. It was converted to a 4-axle tractor at the time of purchase from Central.

Conforti's large DM800 is a 1980 DM821SX, originally owned by V. DiIorio & Sons, Inc., a contractor from South Plainfield, NJ. At the time, it had 65 rears on 12x24 rubber, and has since been rebuilt with 80,000lb rears, 23,000 lb. front axle, and 14x24 rubber, among other things.

John

Guest 45LMSWM

I was just wondering what the serial is on the DM897SX and what did they do with the 375 engine?

Also why did they pull out the V8? Thanks. :mack1::SMOKIE-LFT::thumb:

Central purchased the truck at auction in 1990, and to the best of my knowledge, the truck was rebuilt almost immediately after they got it. I have only ever seen one or two pics of it in use before it had the new cab installed. Not sure why they made the change to Cat power, but they also drastically changed the gearing in the truck at the same time, so it may have just been easier to put a Cat and a 13 spd in one shot. All their new trucks at the time were Cat powered as well.

As far as the 375, sure its long gone by now.

-John