Hey everyone,

Well hopefully my new part time job turns full time which will give me a decent salary. With this money I am looking to buy a new set of wheels to replace the '95 Tahoe which is currently sitting in our yard. I am toying with the idea of a 3500 dually pickup, diesel powered and manual gear box. I was thinking Dodge-Cummins with 6spd and Jacobs exhaust brake

The reason I ask about flat towing is I thought of a picture I saw a while back showing a gentleman flat towing a M39 5 ton 6x6 military truck (or maybe a M35 deuce 1/2?). Either way I was wondering if one could flat tow a heavy truck like a B model or other classic. I really am itching to get me a truck to restore. and I found one on TP a while back that was perfect, A long wheel base day cab Cruiseliner with the Superliner like grille. It had a blown Detroit 6v92, perfect tires and was only going for 1500 bucks. I didn't have the scratch or the means to get it home without paying through the nose. I almost cried when I saw it disappear from truck paper after I got my job in sept (scrapped or south of the border). I don't want that to happen again so I want to be ready when i find my next "love". I figure if I have my own vehicle, I can drive out to the truck, hook up and take off.

Now I know some things can pose some serious problems. First off the brakes of the towing vehicle will be the only brakes. Second problem is most older trucks have poor tires that aren't road worthy. So your probably saying "Well duh! Go buy a goose neck trailer to go with your pickup." That is impossible for me as I have no room for one plus antique truck. A towbar could be stowed away most anywhere.

The brakes problem could be solved with an air compressor on board the pickup with an air tank that has a pressure regulator to cut the pressure down (you want to help slow the truck, not lock the wheels). Then you could rig that air line directly to the trucks brakes and use a solenoid valve hooked to the brake lights or electric trailer brake wire. Sounds crazy but I know I can make it work.

Is this a pipe dream? If so its back to the drawing board.:rolleyes:

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

You will want to pull the drive shaft so the transmission isn't turning. The problem with rigging the brakes is the way they work...and any rig-job has to be DOT legal. In other words, you'll need a low-air warning light and buzzer to alert you to problems with the air supply keeping the truck's spring brakes released. You've already alluded to the other problem...regulating the air to apply the brakes in a controlled manner instead of locking them up.

The biggest problem you are likely to encounter, though, is with the hitch on the truck. Although there won't be any tongue weight on the hitch, it STILL has to be rated for a gross trailer weight equal or greater than the weight of the truck you are going to be towing. Most frame mounted hitches are in the 10K to 12K neighborhood...not enough to safely pull a semi tractor. This is where the gooseneck hitch comes in handy, because they will generally be rated to 25K to 30K. The draw bar must also be rated heavy enough to handle the weight of the towed vehicle.

Tow lights & safety chains will be needed, too.

One more thing to consider, if the gear oil in the differentials is 50+ years old because the truck's been sitting, you may want to change it before you hit the road. Same with the hub oil/grease in the steer axle. You don't want to get it on the road and have something lock up on you due to improper lubrication. If the king pins are worn or the alignment is off...that could also cause problems. When you flat tow, the vehicle being towed is essentially coasting behind you...so it still needs to be in road-worthy condition. Tires, brakes, suspension, steering components, wheel bearings, etc...

There's probably other things I'm forgetting, too....

Oh yeah...the towed vehicle still needs to be registered. Had an IL State Trooper tell me that when I was asking him about flat towing my Ranger home behind the Mack before I went out to Colorado to buy the Mack...he said it doesn't matter WHAT I tow behind me, as long as it is registered. Cop said that contrary to popular belief, there IS NO "grace period" between buying a vehicle and registering that vehicle when it is acceptable to drive without registration. It has to be registered BEFORE it gets driven or towed on the road. So, if you are going to go buy the old truck and intend to flat tow it home, you will have to register the truck before you hit the road.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Thanks for the reply Rowdy. Some real good points. Didn't think of the registration, it would need plates/insurance.

Just thought I would throw that crazy idea out there. I still wish I could find that Cruiseliner as I have the dough to buy it as of now. But getting it home would cost way more than the selling price. It was in great shape too with 80% rear tires and new floats on the front axle. Even had a power tower, might have been a bed truck or drilling rig. Ever since then I have thought about a method in which I can go and get the truck myself without spending a bundle or needing to store a big trailer.

-Thad

Thanks for the reply Rowdy. Some real good points. Didn't think of the registration, it would need plates/insurance.

Just thought I would throw that crazy idea out there. I still wish I could find that Cruiseliner as I have the dough to buy it as of now. But getting it home would cost way more than the selling price. It was in great shape too with 80% rear tires and new floats on the front axle. Even had a power tower, might have been a bed truck or drilling rig. Ever since then I have thought about a method in which I can go and get the truck myself without spending a bundle or needing to store a big trailer.

I debated on that truck for quite some time Thad. It was a pumper for a fire dept. and had the remnants of a 6V-92 under the cab that was junk. It was Truckpaper for quite some time. I didn't care much for the dealer presentation, but the truck looked really nice for what it was. I have an E6-350 that is from a cruiseliner I played with installing, but too many projects around here as it is so I didn't progress.

I agree with others that if your going to tow something it best be registered, and break the driveline so only the rears spin.

If you find something within a couple hundred miles of me I can get it to my place without problems and it can set as I have room.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

If you find something within a couple hundred miles of me I can get it to my place without problems and it can set as I have room.

Rob

...and what would THAT cost you when the wifey found it, ass-u-me'ing it was another one of YOURS :blink:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

...and what would THAT cost you when the wifey found it, ass-u-me'ing it was another one of YOURS blink.gif

Actually, Jan 1st, Momma assumes control of the personal checkbook and funds, so further acquisitions will be limited/eliminated from that account. The "new" business checkbook, (if profitable) will be under my control without outside council. I really don't need more personal projects as my availability will be limited to work with them.

I owe Thad for some help/support in the past, and present. If he finds something, I'll handle Momma and keep ya'll posted when I recover.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Thad,

Are you specifically looking for a Cruiseliner?

There is a really nice F-600 near you that I think needs a good new home.

It is running and licensed.

The truck has an original rigger's winch and a fifth wheel. It is a heavy spec

single axle day cab with a 711 and a Quadraplex. Very low original miles, and a single

owner throughout its' working history.

You could literally get a ride to the fellow's house and drive the new truck home!

If you want, I have the name and contact info, although the truck is here on BMT in

th older For Sale forum.

Paul Van Scott

Thad,

Are you specifically looking for a Cruiseliner?

There is a really nice F-600 near you that I think needs a good new home.

It is running and licensed.

The truck has an original rigger's winch and a fifth wheel. It is a heavy spec

single axle day cab with a 711 and a Quadraplex. Very low original miles, and a single

owner throughout its' working history.

You could literally get a ride to the fellow's house and drive the new truck home!

If you want, I have the name and contact info, although the truck is here on BMT in

th older For Sale forum.

Paul Van Scott

Paul,

Thanks for the heads up. I liked that truck because it had a nice long wheel base and was a day cab Cruiseliner, a real rarity. Heavy spec F600?! I love the heavy spec monsters! I don't have that much money now but I would like to start looking for something. Older for sale forum? Is that from the MSN days?

-Thad

Thad,

Definitely from the MSN days. Maybe last May or so.

The asking price was $4,000.00 I think.

The seller would probably take a bit less.

The truck was recently on TruckPaper, so I think it is still available.

It's a very clean cab with minimal rust. There appears to be some light damage

to the right front fender.

The interior is good (needs a headliner)and it has an original Mack air ride seat.

The frame and the winch have been kept painted. (Dark green with a red frame)

I am full of projects right now, or I would buy it myself and pull a short high flat

or my little lowboy behind it. It is probably pretty useful for loading up non-running old trucks,

with the big winch. And it looks very cool!

If you can't find the listing, let me know by PM. I have a complete set of photos, and

I should be able to find the owner's contact information.

Paul Van Scott

:SMOKIE-LFT:

Might be worth a call to the DMV of whatever state the purchase is in;here in Nv. if you get a title with the truck you automatically get a 30 day temp. permit. They still like you to get insurance though.

Speed

:SMOKIE-RT:

"Remember-ANY Gun Control is Unconstitutional!"
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>

This is a long way but there is an F600 in the west side of Nebreska with a good titke but bad engine.

Triplex. short two axle, BAD interior - - - $500.00

I was going to pick it up myself but ran into money issues (B-73 with 'L' cab WOO HOO!!)

Can't get it till spring but something to think about.

Paul VS wants a 'B' I have - - - that might be transportation??!!??

Packer

Keep a clutchin'