Duel Air Cleaners

bobo

just wondering and looking for some advice....Anyone ever put an air cleaner on driver(L)side on a RB? I know they did in Au and I think R700 was duel breather too, but that differnt hood and cab firewall. just thinking out loud!!

Edited by bobo

just wondering and looking for some advice....Anyone ever put an air cleaner on driver(L)side on a RB? I know they did in Au and I think R700 was duel breather too, but that differnt hood and cab firewall. just thinking out loud!!

an RB? which model is this? I make a left bracket for an R model air cleaner, I am putting two on mine.

Grant

post-2194-12613167970161_thumb.jpg

an RB? which model is this? I make a left bracket for an R model air cleaner, I am putting two on mine.

Grant

Nice looking bracket. I've got to do the same with two of my trucks as I want dual air cleaners too.

Thanks,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Nice looking bracket. I've got to do the same with two of my trucks as I want dual air cleaners too.

Thanks,

Rob

hi, its come up well. made from 4mm steel, the holes were plasma cut, all in all about 3 hours work. just put more pics up of the build, am half way thru making rear crossmember at the moment and still working out where to fit that big air tank.

Grant

Grant

hey a RB688s, set back front axle, quarter fenders are mounted on cab, not full fenders on hood, if you go to my garage I have pics(cant fig. how to attach pics here)

hey a RB688s, set back front axle, quarter fenders are mounted on cab, not full fenders on hood, if you go to my garage I have pics(cant fig. how to attach pics here)

Hi, i see, thats a valueliner here. its the same as the truck my cab and steering box came off, I had the drag link cut down to fit my axle. dual air cleaners will set thing off.

regards Grant

When putting an extra air cleaner make sure you put the stiffner plate on the inside

they tuck inside the door pillar or it will crack the panel . Seen it happen a few times.

The air cleaner and bracket are heavy.......... Mark

hello! thanks for the reminder I probibly would have only put body washers on the inside, not a plate. Did the "valueliner" come with duel breathers? is it the same cab as our "RB"?

hello! thanks for the reminder I probibly would have only put body washers on the inside, not a plate. Did the "valueliner" come with duel breathers? is it the same cab as our "RB"?

Don't use fender or body washers alone but rather use the full size plate as recommended. The cowl panels on the trucks are a one piece stamping and only .030 thickness. They will crack easily with the vibration and weight hanging on it. My 74 RL700 has the plate for an external mounted Luberfiner filter and is bolted through the cowl panel although the truck never had the filter. My Cat powered RL700 does have the external Luberfiner and the plate is the same on both trucks.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

The value liners here in OZ only had 1 aircleaner on the RHS

I have seen the econodyne's here fitted with 2 aircleaners

I bought the kit to do mine even had the air tube to connect into the existing system

but i sold it before........

The inside plate is easy to miss. You have to look to see it.

They are hard to get out of a wrecked cab as you have to bend it to get it out

and realy hard to put back in. It is a strange shape thing that fits inside the door pillar

in a U shape that's where it gets it's srength as it is bolted inside

I could never find one in the parts book.......Mark

The value liners here in OZ only had 1 aircleaner on the RHS

I have seen the econodyne's here fitted with 2 aircleaners

I bought the kit to do mine even had the air tube to connect into the existing system

but i sold it before........

The inside plate is easy to miss. You have to look to see it.

They are hard to get out of a wrecked cab as you have to bend it to get it out

and realy hard to put back in. It is a strange shape thing that fits inside the door pillar

in a U shape that's where it gets it's srength as it is bolted inside

I could never find one in the parts book.......Mark

I wish I could find a kit like that! james

• 1 month later...

I went to the dealer today to price out the breather assy.(2MD 4107), 15" donaldson filter(57MD33), they wanted $843! after that i had get a quick weld on 1 of my roll off bins, so I went to my brothers shop, which used to have an all mack fleet. We was shoot'n the s**t when he said "I have a old breather in the back room". It was like Id won the lottery! not a spec of rust on it with the filter in it! today was a good day! james

*the wife thinks Im dumb cause I cant spell "dual" I think shes dumb for...*

Edited by bobo

Never noticed your truck before, I like it, I was looking at the engine, what year and Hp is it? It looks like it has a waste gate turbo on it. That engine mods have you done to it? Love the air cleaner scoop, is that factory?

:SMOKIE-LFT: Bobo do you work for MCQ Handling out of Ingersoll?

I knew I should have blurred out the door! LOL Yea I do work for MCQ, but out of the hamilton yard. I bought the truck 5 years ago. I dont get out your way to much unless Im going to the Ridge. james

Edited by bobo

Never noticed your truck before, I like it, I was looking at the engine, what year and Hp is it? It looks like it has a waste gate turbo on it. That engine mods have you done to it? Love the air cleaner scoop, is that factory?

hey its a 2000, etech 460, rtlo 18, 44's(4.35), it had daytons on the lift and drives when I got it, I changed over to hub pilot, alum tanks, dual batt. boxes. the turbo is a garret and inj's are Rochester fuel stage II, complete 5" exhaust from the turbo back to twin high flow donaldson 10" mufflers(that took some serious though, but well worth it). most likly gonna instal (coolingmist) water inj this spring. custom interior with all stew warner gauges, 400 watt 10" sub under pass. seat. the scoop is donaldson 8" air ram, when I put left hand breather on I will have scoop aswell. the scoop has been on back order for a month and half, so if any buddy has an 8" air ram they dont want I will buy it! I do all my own work I did my apprenticeship at the local mack dealership.

Edited by bobo

:SMOKIE-LFT:

I knew I should have blurred out the door! LOL Yea I do work for MCQ, but out of the hamilton yard. I bought the truck 5 years ago. I dont get out your way to much unless Im going to the Ridge. james

My Dad had that name on the door of his Superliner for a little over a year. He peeled it off about 2yrs ago and just parked the truck , not enough local work down here then and the 6 axle dump trailer rates running down east for them just plain sucked, wouldn't barely cover fuel or maintainance let alone wages. His buddy down here is still on with them though, maybe things have improved a little, I see he has a different tractor now.

:SMOKIE-LFT:

My Dad had that name on the door of his Superliner for a little over a year. He peeled it off about 2yrs ago and just parked the truck , not enough local work down here then and the 6 axle dump trailer rates running down east for them just plain sucked, wouldn't barely cover fuel or maintainance let alone wages. His buddy down here is still on with them though, maybe things have improved a little, I see he has a different tractor now.

hey COOL! ive never talked to your dad personally, but i know of him. dump trl rates do suck, roll off still pays good though, so I can't complain.

• 1 month later...

Thanks,

Rob

OK so I've made the bracket, got the air cleaner, bought the clamp rings(258$ APEICE!!) got the left and right fenders off. had to take right off to mimic the cut-out on the left. still need to make stiffner plate, and get alum. pipe for under hood. Im guessing I should make a 45deg or a radius facing forward, where the pipe will join in with the other? james

OK so I've made the bracket, got the air cleaner, bought the clamp rings(258$ APEICE!!) got the left and right fenders off. had to take right off to mimic the cut-out on the left. still need to make stiffner plate, and get alum. pipe for under hood. Im guessing I should make a 45deg or a radius facing forward, where the pipe will join in with the other? james

Hi James, I don't understand taking the rt. and lt. fender off of the truck? Aren't they part of the hood assembly that would tilt with the hood? Maybe your truck has lower fenders like a couple of mine?

Rob

Hi James, I don't understand taking the rt. and lt. fender off of the truck? Aren't they part of the hood assembly that would tilt with the hood? Maybe your truck has lower fenders like a couple of mine?

Rob

Hey It's a RB(axle back) it has quarter fenders that are attached to the cab, not the hood. You'll see in the pic the cut out Im talking about. Luckly the fender are a mirror image excluding the cut out, making the job easier! jamespost-2423-127008711435_thumb.jpg

Hey It's a RB(axle back) it has quarter fenders that are attached to the cab, not the hood. You'll see in the pic the cut out Im talking about. Luckly the fender are a mirror image excluding the cut out, making the job easier! jamespost-2423-127008711435_thumb.jpg

Thanks for clearing that up. I've never looked at an RB closely. Actually the only one I've been next to was Herb's when up at his place. I thought you meant like a steel hood truck with the fenders, but I knew yours was glass.

Rob