Mack!

Mackguy

Hello all,

I'm part of the "other side" of trucking, I'm a durability test engineer for Mack Trucks. Unfortunately we in the testing area are somewhat insulated from the end users and customers which I think is a real shame. I've been in this department for about a year now and only had 1 day of meaningful interaction with actual drivers.

Anyway, I thought this would be a good back-door way for me to get some input from yall. Since I'm new here I don't have a whole lot of clout in getting things done or changing the way we do things, but I'd rather know than not know!

Though I've only worked here since the Volvo takeover, I definitely still consider myself a Mack employee, and so far my ID badge and Paycheck still say Mack on them, so I'm good. Most of the people I work with here in Allentown are from the old-guard as well.

Welcome to the forums! Glad to have you on board.

I'm sure you will get lots of feedback...some good, some bad and I'm sure there will be some ugly! But my advice is to take it all whole heartedly because the members inside these forums are Mack customers! Past, present and future!

bmodel_logo.png
Barry - Watt's Truck Center Parts Manager and BMT Webmaster...1-888-304-MACK

I'll take it all! I missed out on the "glory days" at Mack, I just started about the time the last R-model was made. But I would like to know what the customers expect, and their feedback on our current trucks.

Welcome to the forums! Glad to have you on board.

I'm sure you will get lots of feedback...some good, some bad and I'm sure there will be some ugly! But my advice is to take it all whole heartedly because the members inside these forums are Mack customers! Past, present and future!

Welcome Bulldog! This is Larry from Truckers Forum. BulldogMack sent me this on Truckers Forum and I wanted to post it here but I think it may deserve it's own thread.

From BulldogMack

Larry,

Regarding availability of your legacy Mack parts, I don't have any specifics, but since the MP is in production Volvo/Mack Powertrain in Hagerstown is no longer producing the E series engines, all the legacy stuff has been moved to Middletown (ReMack) as far as I know. The ReMack plant is much smaller and lower capacity, and my suspicion is since nobody seems to be buying new trucks, they are spending more $$ on buying parts to keep their old ones running which I'm guessing is resulting in your lack of supply. Again that's just an educated guess, I don't work directly with the Reman plant or powertrain, technically those are separate companies. Though back when I was a student/intern I did work out of the ReMack plant for 3 months, though since then it has been transferred from being a Mack Manufacturing plant to a Volvo Parts plant and they have taken on Mack and Volvo parts instead of being exclusively Mack like they were when I worked there.

Regarding the move to Greensboro, I am one of the few and proud that will be moving down and trying to keep some life in the Bulldog. Much of the time that is a losing fight. I don't have anything against Volvo per se but it is difficult to maintain Mack standards for strength and durability when the trucks are being designed by the same people that design Volvo trucks. Mack and Volvo are not really marketed to the same applications so there are many cases where a common design is not the best one. Rest assured at least SOME of us Mack folks are going to be going to Greensboro so the Bulldog won't be completely dead. I have been hearing a few good things coming from upper management, and many of you probably know that all Mack product is now produced at the Mack plant in Macungie PA so there is hope.

Regarding that Vision and the Renault stamp. The Vision was just being replaced by the Pinnacle around the time I started here and I believe that part of the reason was the Vision didn't have a great reputation. Mack was essentially owned by Renault from 1990 until Volvo bought them, so there was a lot of overlap then as well. Renault owned a significant percentage of Mack since around 1975.

Welcome bulldog.

although you don't have alot of clout as you stated, by getting some feedback from the end-user can have a greater impact on all the processes that make :mack1: a :mack1: .

At meetings, why not ask some higher ups what the CUSTOMER has said, then state what you have learned. ot only on this forum, but check other trucking forums as well.

Yeah, it may bite you in the ass.

Ed

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

Thanks Larry et al.

I try to get customer feedback whenever I can, but of course in today's business climate there's not much budget for anything other than trying to be sure our product is ready for 2010 so it's hard to justify customer visits etc. Just figured I'd try the back door method and check out the forums.

It seems to me that knowing the customers' opinions, expectations, and needs is a good thing. There are still quite a few of us here that really care and remember "The customer is the foundation of our business". It's our job to provide a tool that makes the customer money. While I believe that the Mack name and brand implies more than just an appliance, in today's economy the customer must still justify each purchase based on sound finance.

I heard recently from our Marketing department that the number 1 factor in deciding to buy a new truck is "Pride in ownership". Personally I think that Mack should be right at the top as far as pride of ownership.

I heard recently from our Marketing department that the number 1 factor in deciding to buy a new truck is "Pride in ownership". Personally I think that Mack should be right at the top as far as pride of ownership.

Amen, that is exactly right! I would be proud to own a new Mack based on 1. Looks 2. Interior 3. Leg room 4. Comfort which Mack has all 4 of those qualities. I would have great pride in a Mack versus a Freightliner Cascadia (YUCK! Who could take pride in owning such an ugly truck) or a new shiny Pete/KW (have bling and chrome is nice, it doesn't make you money and too much of a pain in the butt to keep clean!).

I see it now, your gonna be a GREAT asset to the forum! :thumb:

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

I'm part of the "other side" of trucking, I'm a durability test engineer for Mack Trucks. Unfortunately we in the testing area are somewhat insulated from the end users and customers which I think is a real shame. I've been in this department for about a year now and only had 1 day of meaningful interaction with actual drivers.

Anyway, I thought this would be a good back-door way for me to get some input from yall. Since I'm new here I don't have a whole lot of clout in getting things done or changing the way we do things, but I'd rather know than not know!

Though I've only worked here since the Volvo takeover, I definitely still consider myself a Mack employee, and so far my ID badge and Paycheck still say Mack on them, so I'm good. Most of the people I work with here in Allentown are from the old-guard as well.

Yup welcome aboard!

Watch and read hope ya can make a diffrence bro!

there are others here from your end here as well read in particular the closed corperate fourm some of us guys there could really benifit from having some inside advice if you can supply it On the mp stuff!

welcome to the site. Always good to have the ears of the guys building and testing the trucks around us. We have alot of Die hard mack owners here and its good to see that you are one of us. Im not speaking for all but just to get it on the table most of us dont like the "V word" and now that its in charge of mack many fear what direction they steer us in. Alot of us here have old macks that seam to just keep on going and its sad for us to see new macks with less of the proven mack drivetrain parts . It seams the offbreed stuff is getting forced on new owners?. I cant comment on alot of the newer stuff as my newest mack was built in 77'. From what I hear its become apperent that Mack is having some trouble trying to compete with the old R models when (V word) is putting more plastic and offbreed parts on them. EPA has not helped us and some QC issues have come up over they years as well that forced mack owners to look at paccar. We all want to see Mack improve and we will strongly voice our opinions on what works and what does not. If you got stories of what you found is working out on the testing grounds,Im sure we can share what it does in the real world.

Welcome to the club.

Trent

Say, this New IHC vintage retro truck, would Mack ever consider such a rig ?

Mike

1953 Studebaker M275. Reo 331 I-6, Spicer 5spd-DD, 6.72 Gears, 11.00R20H tires.

1959 Mack B61T. Mack END+T 711 I-6, 2 stick 15spd-OD, 6.38 Gears, 12.00-24J tires.

1962 GMC K4500. GMC 379M-V6, SM420-4spd-DD, 5.13 Gears, 8-19.5G tires.

1969 AMC AMX. AMC 390 Crossram, borgwarner T-10 4spd, 4.44 Gears, G60-14s Front N50-15s Rear.

1975 Mack DM600. 300 Mack 6spd 4.17 gears 445/65R22.5 front n 12.00R20 rear.

1976 Arctic Cat Jag2000. 275cc twin, belt drive, steal grips.

1977 Ford F350. 351M V-8, 4spd-DD, 4.56 Gears, 245/70R19.5G tires.

1988 AMC Jeep MJ. 2.5L I-4, 4spd-DD, 4.10 Gears 215/70R15 front 225/70R15 rear.

1992 Trans AM GTA. 406SBC TBI, 4L60E, 3.73 Gears, 245/50R16 front 295/50R16 Rear.

1995 GMC K2500 6.5-T, 4L80E, 4.10 gears 7.50-16D tires. 4.56 Gears coming soon.

2007 Honda Rubicon 500cc Single, 5spd fluid drive trans, 27x10-12 Front 27x12-12 Rear.

Still in search of M52 5 ton tractor, M123A1C 10 ton tractor

Say, this New IHC vintage retro truck, would Mack ever consider such a rig ?

Mike

The PT Cruiser kind of started the retro look, then the Mustangs and Challengers came along, and now the Camaro's back- I always thought if they made a new modern B-model looking cab -bigger of course- it would be a fine looking and very aerodynamic truck. Probably never happen though.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Amen, that is exactly right! I would be proud to own a new a Freightliner Cascadia!..could take pride in owning such a truck or a new shiny Pete/KW...having bling and chrome is nice, it makes you money !

gee Larry, so now we know how you really feel, eh? (Canadian)

:WELCOME: Bulldog Mack

you've also got to be wary of people playing "fix that post" and altering other people's replies here.

Double L is one of the worst about doing that, but it's all in fun :lol:

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Trust me, there's a lot of us here that would love a re-imagined B-model. A lot of the people here consider the B their "favorite", with the R model a close runner up.

Unfortunately I don't know of any plans for a project like that. EPA2010 has been the biggest push and nobody is really even talking about new product right now.

Regarding making something to compete with the International Lone Star, I think if Mack was going to do this it would have been instead of the Titan.

The PT Cruiser kind of started the retro look, then the Mustangs and Challengers came along, and now the Camaro's back- I always thought if they made a new modern B-model looking cab -bigger of course- it would be a fine looking and very aerodynamic truck. Probably never happen though.

gee Larry, so now we know how you really feel, eh? (Canadian)

you've also got to be wary of people playing "fix that post" and altering other people's replies here.

Double L is one of the worst about doing that, but it's all in fun :lol:

You want me to tell ya how much I love them Volvo's? :lol:

Now now I'm not the one who is altering posts or pictures. That is that there Other Dog who is guilty of that. But we all know it's in good clean fun and humor. :thumb: