Man, How Much Do They Hold?

Rob

I rebuilt the front brakes on my R795 using everything new with the exception of the bearings and shoes as they appear new, or never adjusted to work. I installed new "Stemco" seals, wear rings, "S" cams, bushings, and shims for the same, slack adjusters, brake chambers, hold down hardware, window glass for one side oil hub and a complete hubcap for the other side. I even replaced the bearing retaining hub nuts as someone had tightened them with a chisel! All went together pretty well considering I've never done this kind of work before. Didn't even get to sport a bruise when hanging the drums back onto the spindle as I used a floor jack and blocking to support the weight.

I've filled the hubs with 80-W-90 gear lube five times now each time to the bottom of the rubber plug hole. After it drains back filling the cavity of the hub, I filled it again. After the forth time filling it, (about a pint in each side now) I moved the truck fore and aft in the shop about 50 feet three times and refilled the fifth time. There is no leakage that I can see at this point and am hoping that they will top off tomorrow.

I'm kinda perplexed as to how they fill them at the factory quickly unless it is under pressure when the stopper is shoved in.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Some of the "hubcaps" have a threaded side plug. You can rotate the wheel so this plug is on the top and fill over the top of the rubber plug.

Hi David, I've seen those but these threaded plugs thread in on the horizontal plane. I thought about heating and bending a small funnel but the thickness of the oil at 50 degrees precludes if flowing well through such a small orifice.

Thanks

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

The way you're doing it is the correct way.

Just keep adding oil and letting it flow thru the bearings until it finally stabilizes at the full line on the hub window.

It goes a lot quicker in hot weather.

Thanks Herb, I forgot to tell you the "CR" seals originally purchased did not fit the hub and they had the Stemco seals on the shelf, so I exchanged for them. All went together with a very thin coating of silicone to the outer seal edge even though it had sealing material on it. I borrowed a seal driver to ensure it went in straight. Gotta get my own set now.

Thanks,

Rob

Ohh look out now guys Rob is now the official master sealer..

good job Rob sounds all correct to me, although you can fill the inner cavity before putting in the outter bearing just fill it enough that it just starts to leak over the bearing race in the hub, then slide in the bearing and install the lock nut,I use a 5gallon bucket pump for this task works good, then you really dont have to waste that time filling the cavity just topping it off more or less.

Ohh look out now guys Rob is now the official master sealer..

good job Rob sounds all correct to me, although you can fill the inner cavity before putting in the outter bearing just fill it enough that it just starts to leak over the bearing race in the hub, then slide in the bearing and install the lock nut,I use a 5gallon bucket pump for this task works good, then you really dont have to waste that time filling the cavity just topping it off more or less.

Thanks, but I have to give thanks to Herb for all the off line support and guidance provided.

I'm going to order a convertible five, and sixteen gallon pail pump for gear lube later today. Never have had one for the shop. I have several transmissions that are either rebuilt, or I'd like to just drain and refill and bet a quart at at time would go slow going.

Gonna tear into the rears tonight or tomorrow to do it all over again.......

Rob

Thanks, but I have to give thanks to Herb for all the off line support and guidance provided.

I'm going to order a convertible five, and sixteen gallon pail pump for gear lube later today. Never have had one for the shop. I have several transmissions that are either rebuilt, or I'd like to just drain and refill and bet a quart at at time would go slow going.

Gonna tear into the rears tonight or tomorrow to do it all over again.......

Rob

I found a top with a hose connected to it at the parts store that works on gallon jugs, so you can use a gallon jug like the little quart squirt bottles.

Back in olden days when I was a youngster it was common to use a chisel to tighten and loosen those nuts, nobody had a socket that big then. I probably didn't do yours though, somebody else did that.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

I found a top with a hose connected to it at the parts store that works on gallon jugs, so you can use a gallon jug like the little quart squirt bottles.

Back in olden days when I was a youngster it was common to use a chisel to tighten and loosen those nuts, nobody had a socket that big then. I probably didn't do yours though, somebody else did that.

I'm going to order a 5:1 ratio pneumatic pump and totalizer for this application. Everything else is air powered and some of this stuff holds a lot of oil.

Had you tightened those nuts up on me with a chisel, I would have worked really hard to find forgiveness in my heart for your actions; I think you've spared us both some grief. (I'm still working on the Pete thing).

Rob

I'm going to order a 5:1 ratio pneumatic pump and totalizer for this application. Everything else is air powered and some of this stuff holds a lot of oil.

Had you tightened those nuts up on me with a chisel, I would have worked really hard to find forgiveness in my heart for your actions; I think you've spared us both some grief. (I'm still working on the Pete thing).

Rob

yeah, that was the common procedure-tighten the outside nut, then tighten it some more with the chisel, then bend the little lock tab down with the hammer.

I've been through a clutch, radiator hose, turbo hose, and a fan belt in less than a week on that Pete.

yeah, that was the common procedure-tighten the outside nut, then tighten it some more with the chisel, then bend the little lock tab down with the hammer.

I've been through a clutch, radiator hose, turbo hose, and a fan belt in less than a week on that Pete.

I've seen several 3/4 ton trucks with the nuts tightened that way also. I'd rather have the correct tools and not butcher the job, or hurt myself, (again). Of course it's usually me taking the damn thing apart again so I don't want things screwed up.

Man that truck sure seems to be a deliverance of problems no matter how small, or large. After consulting with the Dr. side of my brain; The diagnosis is simple: Drive Mack, never look back.

Rob

I've seen several 3/4 ton trucks with the nuts tightened that way also. I'd rather have the correct tools and not butcher the job, or hurt myself, (again). Of course it's usually me taking the damn thing apart again so I don't want things screwed up.

Man that truck sure seems to be a deliverance of problems no matter how small, or large. After consulting with the Dr. side of my brain; The diagnosis is simple: Drive Mack, never look back.

Rob

I'll drive a Mack if Jeff Moore buys one. But, that's not likely slow as things are. I heard today we're not getting a safety bonus this year-they just didn't have it. And a pay cut may be next...so much for tires, and wheels, and food, shelter, and electricity.

I'll drive a Mack if Jeff Moore buys one. But, that's not likely slow as things are. I heard today we're not getting a safety bonus this year-they just didn't have it. And a pay cut may be next...so much for tires, and wheels, and food, shelter, and electricity.

I'll put you up. Got an empty three bedroom house next to my shop.

Rob

Yeah man get a Mack! Them Pete's are junk in my opinion, I'd take a KW before I would a Pete!

yup agree totally Id never buy a pete, Not nowhere near the truck of a KW petes are for them gear shift jockies you see on the hwy,, err well at least you can see there eyes peering over there door jamb from sitting on the floor while driving...

yup agree totally Id never buy a pete, Not nowhere near the truck of a KW petes are for them gear shift jockies you see on the hwy,, err well at least you can see there eyes peering over there door jamb from sitting on the floor while driving...

I have to agree. Jeff traded the 2000 W900L I was driving for the 2006 Peterbilt, and I wish he had kept it. It never broke down, ran good, had an N14 Cummins in it, and I just liked it better. Plus, a W900 is just a prettier truck in my opinion.

Also true, I can't even put any air in the seat or all i'd be able to see would be about 10 feet in front of me!

The way you're doing it is the correct way.

Just keep adding oil and letting it flow thru the bearings until it finally stabilizes at the full line on the hub window.

It goes a lot quicker in hot weather.

Fifth time was a charm. They have not dropped over the past night and are right on the "oil level" line on the window.

I called my supplier for oil dispensing products and priced a "Graco" 5:1 air powered dispensing drum pump, digital totalizer, hose, and 16 gallon roller cart for a drum and it was nearly $800.00!! I said, "Holy Shit man, do you want to sell it or not"? They said sure, and I can have it for $625.80. I really don't need the expense this 1/4 so I went ahead and ordered the stuff, and will pay for it after the first of the year.

All the pumps are expensive so really wasn't surprised. It would be unlike me to not "razz" on em a bit however. Good people I deal with, and they've always treated me right.

Thanks again,

Rob

Fifth time was a charm. They have not dropped over the past night and are right on the "oil level" line on the window.

I called my supplier for oil dispensing products and priced a "Graco" 5:1 air powered dispensing drum pump, digital totalizer, hose, and 16 gallon roller cart for a drum and it was nearly $800.00!! I said, "Holy Shit man, do you want to sell it or not"? They said sure, and I can have it for $625.80. I really don't need the expense this 1/4 so I went ahead and ordered the stuff, and will pay for it after the first of the year.

All the pumps are expensive so really wasn't surprised. It would be unlike me to not "razz" on em a bit however. Good people I deal with, and they've always treated me right.

Thanks again,

Rob

I wish you had contacted me first, i'd have sent you this for only $385.16, shipping included.

I wish you had contacted me first, i'd have sent you this for only $385.16, shipping included.

There is time to reverse the sale. That dispenser would not soil my clean, white, starched and pressed coveralls I work in would it?

Rob

Rob you got to watch them Virginia folk, they are good at coming up with crazy contraptions, trust me I know! As far as the Pete's go I drove one even though it was around the yard where I was working out before the economy hit the crapper, My knees kept rubbing the steering column and I'm only 5'4. I had no air in the seat and you know with being short had the seat all the way forward! These were 03-05 model years, I didn't have that problem with the old square dash Pete's but I haven't drove a newer KW or even been in one to see if my knees would hit the dash. I doubt they would on a KW cause you got more room a KW than ya do a Pete. I sat in a 90-93 T600 but it didn't have tilt steering so I couldn't tell if my knees would hit the steering column or not but I was comfortable in it, then again I've always liked Kenworth more than Pete especially the T600 and now the T660. Besides Kenworth is a better built truck and a much better laid out truck as far as interior goes and your not cramped like a Pete. I was so cramped in the Pete that I was literally right up on the dash and I didn't like that at all, plus these were day cabs if that really makes any difference. The Pete and KW debate is like a Chevy and Ford debate but KW and Chevy is gonna win every time in my book.

Rob you got to watch them Virginia folk, they are good at coming up with crazy contraptions, trust me I know! As far as the Pete's go I drove one even though it was around the yard where I was working out before the economy hit the crapper, My knees kept rubbing the steering column and I'm only 5'4. I had no air in the seat and you know with being short had the seat all the way forward! These were 03-05 model years, I didn't have that problem with the old square dash Pete's but I haven't drove a newer KW or even been in one to see if my knees would hit the dash. I doubt they would on a KW cause you got more room a KW than ya do a Pete. I sat in a 90-93 T600 but it didn't have tilt steering so I couldn't tell if my knees would hit the steering column or not but I was comfortable in it, then again I've always liked Kenworth more than Pete especially the T600 and now the T660. Besides Kenworth is a better built truck and a much better laid out truck as far as interior goes and your not cramped like a Pete. I was so cramped in the Pete that I was literally right up on the dash and I didn't like that at all, plus these were day cabs if that really makes any difference. The Pete and KW debate is like a Chevy and Ford debate but KW and Chevy is gonna win every time in my book.

Actually KWs and Petes are both PACCAR. I always heard that when they finished a KW on the assembly line they made a Peterbilt out of the leftover parts...or was it the other way around?

But you're right, it's a hard truck to get comfortable in for me too.