Electronic Speedo Conversion........

Well, after another year has gone by, I'm finally getting around to finishing this up. Rob dropped the parts off early this year and it's been sitting in a box ever since. I got out tonight and get the rear housing off the tranny and ready to machine it for the sending unit. Once it's done and back on I'll work the wiring and get speedo mounted in dash. I'm going to try to get machining done through this weekend? Hopefully.

Parts: Speedo and sender from Rob, I manufactured the rings. We worked on number of teeth to get the speedo to count Revs/mi correctly.

SDC10551.jpg

Reluctor ring to replace the gear:

SDC10561.jpg

The only big issue I would like to change is the speedo face. I'd really like to tear it apart and use my old Mack face as the numbers aren't too far off and would then look the part. One fancy new speedo in with a bunch of old gauges just doesn't fit the patina. We'll see.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Sooo Why are you going electronic ?? Did the original speedo go to that Big Mack parts place in the sky. (broken?)

GLENN

GRANDKIDS :Gods little gift to us for not killing our kids while they were growing up

All I want, is just to be luv'd and for my Check Engine light to go out on my Volvo.

Well, after another year has gone by, I'm finally getting around to finishing this up. Rob dropped the parts off early this year and it's been sitting in a box ever since. I got out tonight and get the rear housing off the tranny and ready to machine it for the sending unit. Once it's done and back on I'll work the wiring and get speedo mounted in dash. I'm going to try to get machining done through this weekend? Hopefully.

Parts: Speedo and sender from Rob, I manufactured the rings. We worked on number of teeth to get the speedo to count Revs/mi correctly.

SDC10551.jpg

Reluctor ring to replace the gear:

SDC10561.jpg

The only big issue I would like to change is the speedo face. I'd really like to tear it apart and use my old Mack face as the numbers aren't too far off and would then look the part. One fancy new speedo in with a bunch of old gauges just doesn't fit the patina. We'll see.

Nice work Larry.

How about using an electronic speedometer head from a later model DM or R model?

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Glenn, ya, the original gear inside the tranny is tore up bad enough it has stripped two driven gears on the cable so far. Instead of trying to locate more gears and see how long it lasts, Rob and I devised this system. He did all the electronic work, as that's his forte' and I did the machine work.

Herb, Rob worked on trying to find a "cheap" plain speedo to use. If I can get my old one apart and the number sweep is close enough I might try to switch them around. It takes a gentle hand to split that bezel ring and get it apart/back together. I'd really like it to look "old and original", but we'll have to see. I think even the R model speedo wasn't a duplicate of the B version, especially when they went to electronic.

I might come up to the shop(my work) and do the machine work on the housing either tomorrow or Friday. I'd like to get it back together enough to spin it with the engine(before putting driveshaft back in) and see if it reads.

Larry

Ok, got ambitious this morning(before the turkey get set on the table) and ran up to work and machined the tailhousing:

SDC10566.jpg

Now I need to make a new gasket and mock it up to set the depth for the sending unit:

SDC10567.jpg

Going to try to see if I can get it ready for reassembly this weekend. Got other stuff going on, so time will tell. At least it's all sitting there ready to go.

Larry

wow! looks like a big suplosion!

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.