Air Compressor Pop-Off

Gambi80

When the air dryer/compressor on my truck pops off...for a couple seconds, longer when cold...it pops off initially then sounds as if its still pumping air out of the dryer/pop off valve. Sounds like an exhaust manifold gasket leak...kind of.

I replaced the pop off valve today, but no difference. The dryer is an entire reman unit and has been on the truck for about a year.

I effin hope its not something that requires taking off the compressor. *&^%!

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

When the air dryer/compressor on my truck pops off...for a couple seconds, longer when cold...it pops off initially then sounds as if its still pumping air out of the dryer/pop off valve. Sounds like an exhaust manifold gasket leak...kind of.

I replaced the pop off valve today, but no difference. The dryer is an entire reman unit and has been on the truck for about a year.

I've seen that happen with the governor bad on the compressor not allowing the discharge valve to close on the bottom of the dryer.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I've seen that happen with the governor bad on the compressor not allowing the discharge valve to close on the bottom of the dryer.

Rob

me too...mine does it periodically. it has ever since they put a new air dryer on it, but- but - I drive - I drive a ...

I drive a Peterbilt.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

I put a different governor on it today...still does it.

The new governor works about the same as the old one...(insert various Illinois jokes here)

What dryer do you have? Bendix, Wabco, etc.

You did not properly "bribe" the governor to work for you; (couldn't resist).

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Mine will keep doing it for several minutes sometimes. I just keep an eye on my air pressure when it does, but it doesn't lose any pressure and it eventually quits. so far anyway.

I had an AD-4 Bendix on the rollback truck and it always sputtered when discharging. Never caused any problems.

Rob

He said the old one was a Blagjaniwvich, or something like that. Not sure about the replacement.

Regardless of the brand, the governor was 'made' in Chicago... :wacko:

Anyhow...it isn't causing any problems with air pressure, it's more annoying than anything I guess.

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

Mine does that, too. Replaced the air compressor when it started taking forever and a day to air up (and was getting a lot of oil in the air tank). New compressor, same problem. Changed out the air dryer when it started popping off 8-9 times per mile. New dryer, same problem.

I wouldn't pull your hair out trying to "fix" it...especially if there isn't any air-pressure problems.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

I'm not going to worry about it really. But after replacing the 'gov and pop-off valve...the truck holds over 90lbs of air over night.

Sometimes mine does, sometimes it don't. It seems to be leaking occasionally from the group of air lines that go through the firewall. That's been leaking sporadically ever since I bought the truck, though...one day I'll get around to swapping out the part...but not yet. It's only air... :whistling:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!