2009 Kenworth's

dockmen027

Went to a construction equipment auction locally, mainly to see who once belonged to these '09 KW's, thinking they were local, they were not, they came from an outfit in Kentucky which I could faintly see on the doors (maybe somebody knows of them). There were 10 of them, mated with tri-axle dump trailers, Mac's and Benson's (sold separately), each with 550 Cummins, 18 speeds, all with 50,000 to 60,000 miles on them, all top of the line. The first one went for $83,000, and the rest were $77,500 down to $76,000. They were said to be $144,000 new.

There were also 4 2006 Granites tri-axles (325,000 miles average) with Mack 427's and steel dump bodies that went for around $47,000 each.

th_IMG_1364.jpg

• 1 month later...

Went to a construction equipment auction locally, mainly to see who once belonged to these '09 KW's, thinking they were local, they were not, they came from an outfit in Kentucky which I could faintly see on the doors (maybe somebody knows of them). There were 10 of them, mated with tri-axle dump trailers, Mac's and Benson's (sold separately), each with 550 Cummins, 18 speeds, all with 50,000 to 60,000 miles on them, all top of the line. The first one went for $83,000, and the rest were $77,500 down to $76,000. They were said to be $144,000 new.

There were also 4 2006 Granites tri-axles (325,000 miles average) with Mack 427's and steel dump bodies that went for around $47,000 each.

th_IMG_1364.jpg

Wow...barely a year old and nowhere near broken in for less than half price of new? I still don't understand why people buy new. I would never but I guess some people have to.

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

Or maybe they figure newer is better with no problems. To me I rather buy used and not have the payment. Besides with buying used you don't have to work out the kinks. That is the thing with these new emission trucks, only the large fleets are testing them out, most small carriers know from 03 that they don't want to test or even upgrade their fleets because all the issues with the new trucks will cause them to go broke. Besides that this economy isn't helping matters none anyway.

Wow...barely a year old and nowhere near broken in for less than half price of new? I still don't understand why people buy new. I would never but I guess some people have to.

I would LOVE to spec a truck and have it built at the factory for me...get EXACTLY the truck I want & need and have a warranty to back it up instead of trying to find something "close enough" and hoping it was taken care of by the previous owner(s). The only way I'd ever actually BUY new is if I had enough saved up to pay a large majority (if not all) of it in cash...wouldn't want payments any higher than the ones I'm currently making. I just have no interest in OWNING a truck newer than 2002. I don't want EGR. I don't want DPF. I don't want SCR. I don't want ANYTHING those know-nothing bureaucrats in DC are mandating on these trucks for the sake of solving a non-existent (but politically driven) "problem". :angry:

So, since the government has pretty much taken me out of the new truck buyers market, I've got my "close enough" truck that will be modified and upgraded as time and money allow until it has the specs of the truck I would buy if I were to spec a new one. ;)

• Like 1
When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

I would LOVE to spec a truck and have it built at the factory for me...get EXACTLY the truck I want & need and have a warranty to back it up instead of trying to find something "close enough" and hoping it was taken care of by the previous owner(s).

They figure every owner want trucks all the same with the same specs no matter if they run otr or heavy haul so the only thing that is different is colors.

I think people that buy new are generally between a rock and a hard place. Need the equipment but cant come up with the cash to buy it out right...get snagged in with some low down payment and can afford a monthly bill, so they go that way.

I did that once with a motorcycle...by the time I paid if off I coulda bought a house!

"You som'bitches could'nt close an umbrella!"

I think people that buy new are generally between a rock and a hard place. Need the equipment but cant come up with the cash to buy it out right...get snagged in with some low down payment and can afford a monthly bill, so they go that way.

I did that once with a motorcycle...by the time I paid if off I coulda bought a house!

And this is a very large part of the world economies problem. Credit is much too easy to acquire, operate, and exist upon. Young and old people alike tend to justify the cost of something by the amount of the monthly payment, rather than the true cost of ownership.

In our area even the fast food restauraunts and grocery stores are now taking plastic! Convienient maybe, but the lions share of the populace does not pay that card off monthly and no regards are given to the "true cost" of the purchase.

I can't speak for everybody but I don't reach into my pocket, pull out a lone five dollar bill, and spend ten!! I'm not a smart man by any means, but that just doesn't add up.

Another problem is the "expectations" of the populace or need. When is the last time you seen a new Mack, Pete, Kenworth, International, etc. where air conditioning, or power steering was an option at additional cost? You probably won't because it would be a hard sell to the manufactures. Even the vehicle corporations have been purchasing up the audio manufacturers and installing their systems for years.

There are deep rooted problems fueled by greed, credit, market share and the like, that need correction applied. The current democratic machine in power seems to enjoy throwing money at the symptoms rather than the cure. Now an out of work individual doesn't need to actively look for employment as his unemployment benefits have been extended yet again; Yet go to most any large retail establishment and attempt to find an employee that knows their ass from a hole in the ground! This type of job is usually "below them", (meaning skilled labor). Take that unearned compensation away, and that job at the retailer just might deserve a second look.

I think there is plenty of work out there. One just needs to be hungry enough to do it.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

And this is a very large part of the world economies problem. Credit is much too easy to acquire, operate, and exist upon. Young and old people alike tend to justify the cost of something by the amount of the monthly payment, rather than the true cost of ownership.

In our area even the fast food restauraunts and grocery stores are now taking plastic! Convienient maybe, but the lions share of the populace does not pay that card off monthly and no regards are given to the "true cost" of the purchase.

I can't speak for everybody but I don't reach into my pocket, pull out a lone five dollar bill, and spend ten!! I'm not a smart man by any means, but that just doesn't add up.

Another problem is the "expectations" of the populace or need. When is the last time you seen a new Mack, Pete, Kenworth, International, etc. where air conditioning, or power steering was an option at additional cost? You probably won't because it would be a hard sell to the manufactures. Even the vehicle corporations have been purchasing up the audio manufacturers and installing their systems for years.

There are deep rooted problems fueled by greed, credit, market share and the like, that need correction applied. The current democratic machine in power seems to enjoy throwing money at the symptoms rather than the cure. Now an out of work individual doesn't need to actively look for employment as his unemployment benefits have been extended yet again; Yet go to most any large retail establishment and attempt to find an employee that knows their ass from a hole in the ground! This type of job is usually "below them", (meaning skilled labor). Take that unearned compensation away, and that job at the retailer just might deserve a second look.

I think there is plenty of work out there. One just needs to be hungry enough to do it.

Rob

Yup. That's my problem with new pick-up trucks, too. They put so many extra bells & whistles on them these days as "standard features" that a person who NEEDS the truck to do actual WORK can't afford it, and even if he COULD afford it, he wouldn't want to use & abuse it like trucks are SUPPOSED to be used & abused because he just spent more than a year's salary to buy the stupid thing.

Just give me a 4x4 truck with a strong pulling motor, stout axles, a manual transmission, and a stiff suspension to handle heavy loads. I don't need the 2000 watt 8 speaker sound system. I don't need leather seats. I don't need power windows, door locks, leather wrapped steering wheel, air conditioning, carpet on the floors, anti-lock brakes, air bags, shoulder straps on the seat belts, GPS, back-up sensors, turn signals in the mirrors, tail gate steps, or any of the other stupid crap that makes the truck "feel" more like a car. If you want a car, buy a friggin car! If you are going to buy a truck, it ought to RIDE like a truck. You ought to be able to get in and drive it with your muddy boots still on your feet, and hose the damn thing out when you get back to the house. You ought to be able to wrap a chain around that stubborn stump, put it in low gear, and give a tug or two without tearing the back bumper off or setting off the air bags. You ought to be able to take it down through the ditch and between some trees to get where you need to work without worrying about scratching your $50,000 ride.

:angry:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Rob

Well said, a bit off topic but to take off where your last paragraph left off, funny story and a true story. I had shoulder surgery at the end of Feb and was on disability till about Aug when the Dr. finally cleared me to return to work. During the time on disability the place I was working at was facing tough times and fired me. Which means in order to keep up with my physical therapy...I now had to buy my own health insurance...on what the state disability was giving me. (good thing for being smart enough to have a savings account.)

Anyway in the time when I have been "down and out" I had registered as an LLC to start a rubbish removal company and was making some extra cash "taking out garbage" while looking for a real job.

Last week I finally got a call to be interviewed for a GREAT job working at a truck dealer that sells and services, Volvo, Autocar, Freightliner, Western Star etc...while I was having my interview with the manager, the guy hears my whole story and goes "Hey when does your unemployment run out?" I said.."soon, but I think I can get an extension..and I'll probably need it" He then told me this..which, man...if my old man were around and he heard this, his head would explode...the manager then says "you know, I had a few guys come in here looking for work, and when I said I would give them a chance, they asked if I could wait until their unemployment ran out....they actually DONT want to work until they absolutley cant get more money from the Govt"......the rest of my personal story should be posted somewhere else in the forums, but with what youre

saying about extensions and stuff you are right on the money.

I have been on my ass since Feb, working on the side, saving for the Christmas season, saving for bills, saving for a roll off so I can get my side work legitimate and busting my ass trying to get a "real" job....I cant believe their people out there who can live off the few hundred bucks a week that dont want to work and are being rewarded for it!!...Drives me friggin mental!!

Like my dad used to say..."some people just need a boot in the ass".

Bah, it's all disgusting. I know more than enough people around my age (29) who've either filed for bankruptcy or who were so asshole deep in over their heads with credit card debt. I think I'm in the minority when I pay my credit card, which I RARELY use, off in full every month. I think that when my credit card company sent me a letter recently stating that my limit has been raised by $5,000, they want me to see that and go bonkers with it.

The first couple years into my first truckin job, I'd get laid off for a few weeks to a month or so. I was still living at home and really had no bills except for a managable vehicle payment. I remember calling into the un-employment feeling like such a low-life, collecting off the gov't teet. The sick part of it is that when you're union, you don't have to actively look for work while collecting.

The new truck issue, I don't want any part of it and for much of the same reasons as Rowdy...although I do like my air conditioned and a power passenger window. My truck is 12 years old and is getting worn out, but I finally have it set up with anything I need. If I were to buy something else I would have to start all over again and I'm having a hard time finding a couple year newer Mack set up exactly like mine. Second choice would be a K-wopper with a 525hp N-14.

I agree with Rowdy, your better off in an older used rig cause if you got to overhaul it and all that good stuff you'll have a new truck for half the cost and without the big payment. I guess people want a new truck to boost their ego or something who knows and then they wonder why they have to sell it cause they got greedy. I'm with Rowdy on the new pick up trucks I got a soon to be 20 year old truck next year, I got a 90 Chevy C1500 Silverado, while it may not be the best looking truck it sure holds up better than any new F150 or Silverado with those stupid cargo steps. I laughed when Ford came out with that stupid cargo step crap, c'mon now if you got to use a cargo step to put something in the bed of a truck your a sissy! Yeah I said it! The only thing major I had to do to my truck was a fuel pump (which didn't need replaced), pick up coil, water pump, lower radiator hose that goes to the water pump, oil cooler lines cause I broke that on accident, brakes shoes, brake drums, and brake pads. I say that isn't too bad for only having it a year! Other than that she is a solid good riding truck and actually rides like a truck. Only thing I got left to replace is all the shocks.

I agree with Rowdy, your better off in an older used rig cause if you got to overhaul it and all that good stuff you'll have a new truck for half the cost and without the big payment. I guess people want a new truck to boost their ego or something who knows and then they wonder why they have to sell it cause they got greedy. I'm with Rowdy on the new pick up trucks I got a soon to be 20 year old truck next year, I got a 90 Chevy C1500 Silverado, while it may not be the best looking truck it sure holds up better than any new F150 or Silverado with those stupid cargo steps. I laughed when Ford came out with that stupid cargo step crap, c'mon now if you got to use a cargo step to put something in the bed of a truck your a sissy! Yeah I said it! The only thing major I had to do to my truck was a fuel pump (which didn't need replaced), pick up coil, water pump, lower radiator hose that goes to the water pump, oil cooler lines cause I broke that on accident, brakes shoes, brake drums, and brake pads. I say that isn't too bad for only having it a year! Other than that she is a solid good riding truck and actually rides like a truck. Only thing I got left to replace is all the shocks.

I bought my '96 F250 over 5 years ago. The money I've spent in maintenance & repairs (outside of what I knew needed to be done when I bought the truck) over the course of those 5 years combined don't equal what I would be paying EACH MONTH for a new truck.

I've had my '92 Ranger more than 3 years now. ALL I've done to it is change the oil. Haven't spent a dime beyond that.

I would be careful changing fuel pumps that don't need changing. When I was in college, my '86 Ranger was still my dad's and the fuel tank sprung a leak in their driveway. Of course they took it in to get a new tank...and while the tank was out, they put in a new fuel pump, too. 8 months later, I started having problems with it. Of course by then, it was MY truck. The pump would work fine for a while...and then it would quit. Let the truck sit for a while and it would work again. I guess it may have been overheating...just needed a chance to cool down. It was more of an inconvenience than anything...I rode my motorcycle 99% of the time, so it didn't really bother me TOO much...until I broke my collarbone and needed the truck to be reliable. I took it in (I'm not attempting to drop a 3/4 full fuel tank with only 1 good arm in a gravel driveway) and they changed the pump (of course after re-checking everything I had already checked...and TOLD them I had checked) and charged me almost 2 hours labor before they came out and told me what I told them when I brought them the truck 2 friggin' hours earlier! Anyway, they put the (NAPA) fuel pump in and it worked fine for about 6 months...then started doing the same exact thing. This time, I was healthy and pulled the pump myself and took it back to the shop and got a replacement (parts warranty...not labor) and went home to install it myself. About 4 months later, I got a deal on some parts...a guy was going to scrap his old Ranger and told me for $100 I could have anything or everything (except the transmission). I pulled the cab (mine was rotted out pretty bad), the rear axle (3.73 gear instead of the 3.08 I had in mine), and the OEM Ford fuel pump. When I got home, I put the Ford fuel pump back in my '86 and for 2 years after that, never had any further fuel delivery problems. That was when I cracked the head moving (pulling a 25' flatbed trailer behind my little '86 with the 4-banger, 5-speed, & 3.08 rears)...derned trailer weighed more EMPTY than I should have been towing LOADED...especially since I didn't have any trailer brake controller in my Ranger (and I rigged an adapter to the 4-flat on my truck to the 7-round on the borrowed trailer so I'd have lights). Yeah, I loaded the heck out of that trailer, too....still took me 4 trips to move all my stuff, though. :pat:

That '86 has been sitting in my garage ever since. I have a 289 from a '66 Mustang I'm going to build to throw in there...of course that means the spare axle will likely end up under the '92 (which has 3.45 rears now) since the '86 is going to require a completely new drive train to handle the V-8's power. I'll probably convert the old truck to 4 wheel drive, too, while I'm at it. Best part is, it's paid for. It isn't on the road, so it doesn't have plates or insurance. It isn't costing me a dime, whether it sits a year or 10 years before I find the time and money to get started on the build. That's the beauty of having a vehicle that is paid off, owned free & clear. You can do whatever you want with it...or nothing at all...and nobody can say a damned thing about it either way. :thumb:

Amen brother, when I took the fuel pump out it looked like it never been changed at all. Well you own a Ford so that explains all your fuel pump issues. :lol: Naw in all seriousness it seems like the fuel pumps you get from the auto parts store these days isn't as reliable as it once was. Seems like they make them to fail thus throwing money at it all the time. I really don't care for Autozone much, I prefer Carquest or Advance Auto. If I can I'll go down to the junk yard but most of the time they want you to pull it yourself and if it's something that'll take all day I'll pass on it. While cheaper by the time you figure in the labor and cussing it would have been easier and cheaper to go to the auto parts store to buy what ya need cause with the junkyard you ain't guaranteed if it works either. The last couple things I bought from the junk yard was the oil cooler lines and new distributor shaft cause while changing the pick up coil I broke the magnet off the old shaft and this one had a pick up coil and ignition control module already on it so if one of them fails, I got the ones off the old shaft to use. I saved $50-$100 bucks so I can't complain.

I used to mess around with old chevy's, constantly swapping out parts, turning 3 trucks into one. But I digress, I had kids and bought a semi...which is almost like a third kid. The time for messing around with stuff has passed and I bought 'new', an '05 Chevy doody-max. I change the oil and grease it and that's enough.

I used to mess around with old chevy's, constantly swapping out parts, turning 3 trucks into one. But I digress, I had kids and bought a semi...which is almost like a third kid. The time for messing around with stuff has passed and I bought 'new', an '05 Chevy doody-max. I change the oil and grease it and that's enough.

I don't drive my pickups enough to worry about 'em. Gassed up my F250 the other day for the first time since May. Prolly been 3 or 4 months since I put gas in the Ranger, too. For me, a couple old reliable trucks without a note attached to 'em are worth way more than a new one with a note. B)

I take it you drive that ole Mack most of the time everywhere ya go huh? You do better than me Rowdy, my Chevy loves to go through some gas, she ain't too bad if your easy but get up in her and you'll see the gas gauge go down to empty very quickly.

I take it you drive that ole Mack most of the time everywhere ya go huh? You do better than me Rowdy, my Chevy loves to go through some gas, she ain't too bad if your easy but get up in her and you'll see the gas gauge go down to empty very quickly.

Best I ever got out of my F250 was cruising across Montana at 80 mph....saw 13.5 mpg. Usually, I only get 10 to 11...unless I'm having fun, then it's down around 6 to 8 mpg. :wacko:

I understand this. My 1st car was an 1981 Trans-Am, then I had a 1968 Mustang, which got traded for a 1980 Trans Am (which had a DOG 301 in it..horrible, HORRIBLE motor) then an 88 Trans-Am...and finally a K5 Blazer that was pretty solid..F.I. 350, 3 speed with granny low, riding on 33's it was fun...but any time you have cars or trucks like this...your doing work, changing parts, blowing suspension etc.

I traded in my wrench turning from cars to dirtbikes...and bought a Jeep Cherokee Sport. I bought it used maybe 4 years ago, with 70k on it and now it has 136,000. I keep it clean and doing the basic maintenance and it runs like a champ...not to mention it is a BEAST in the snow. The only issues Im having is that it needs a new A/C compressor and every once in awhile when I put it in 4x4 it lags getting back into 2WD. I usually have to play the with the wheel for a min then it goes back. The indicator says its in 2WD, but you can feel the fronts spinning...hopefully its a just a vaccum line or something.

Either way, no payments, no problem! I change my fluids and dont beat on it and it runs like a champ...I have no reason to get rid of it, my next "new" vehicle will have 2 wheels...the next pre owned will be an R Model Dump.

It aint a hot rod...but man it runs nice and I cant bust it!...and I owe nothing!

I understand this. My 1st car was an 1981 Trans-Am, then I had a 1968 Mustang, which got traded for a 1980 Trans Am (which had a DOG 301 in it..horrible, HORRIBLE motor) then an 88 Trans-Am...and finally a K5 Blazer that was pretty solid..F.I. 350, 3 speed with granny low, riding on 33's it was fun...but any time you have cars or trucks like this...your doing work, changing parts, blowing suspension etc.

I traded in my wrench turning from cars to dirtbikes...and bought a Jeep Cherokee Sport. I bought it used maybe 4 years ago, with 70k on it and now it has 136,000. I keep it clean and doing the basic maintenance and it runs like a champ...not to mention it is a BEAST in the snow. The only issues Im having is that it needs a new A/C compressor and every once in awhile when I put it in 4x4 it lags getting back into 2WD. I usually have to play the with the wheel for a min then it goes back. The indicator says its in 2WD, but you can feel the fronts spinning...hopefully its a just a vaccum line or something.

Either way, no payments, no problem! I change my fluids and dont beat on it and it runs like a champ...I have no reason to get rid of it, my next "new" vehicle will have 2 wheels...the next pre owned will be an R Model Dump.

It aint a hot rod...but man it runs nice and I cant bust it!...and I owe nothing!

Huh...all I gotta do is reach down and pull on a lever and I'm in 2 wheel drive. Push the lever forward and I'm in 4 wheel high. Push down and ALL the way forward and I'm in 4 low.

Been so long since I tried using the AC in the F250 I don't even know if it still works...used to be I'd crank it up to keep the ice cream from melting on my way home from the store...it's only a 25 mile drive :wacko: ...this year, I bought a cooler. It's the only vehicle I've got that has functional AC...unless it's quit working...then I ain't got a vehicle with AC. Not that it matters to me one way or the other....last year, I only had the AC at the house on for 1 day...and never even turned it on this year.

All the vehicles I've owned never had the ac work. I don't need ac only ac I got is 2 windows and whatever speed limit it is but I got to have heat though.

All those old cars I had, 1st thing to go was the AC when I got em. Now thats the only thing I wish worked.

Last years leaf route I was in a 77 R Model dump and the damn heat didnt shut off...I'd rather have it cold in the cab then deal with that again.

I wish the Chevy's came with those old Detroit's instead of the Duramax. I thought owning a truck was like a 2nd wife? :lol:

Second wife, third kid...either way it's needy, tempermental and expensive!

Gotta have a/c though...chicks don't dig swamp ass.

Second wife, third kid...either way it's needy, tempermental and expensive!

Gotta have a/c though...chicks don't dig swamp ass.

Momma likes my chapped ass and natural pungence. Don't think I've bought deodorant in about five years or so. I don't know if A/C works in any of my vehicles as I never use it.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.