Mack B61 Dump Making It A Working Truck Again?

ok may be im nuts but i bought a 1963 tandum axle b61 almost no rust western truck question is from your veterns on the site can a guy make a 1963 b61 dump a hauling working truck again ? it runs well 15 foot box has had more modern items added air gate etc just want a honest anwer from the pros thanks !!

ok may be im nuts but i bought a 1963 tandum axle b61 almost no rust western truck question is from your veterns on the site can a guy make a 1963 b61 dump a hauling working truck again ? it runs well 15 foot box has had more modern items added air gate etc just want a honest anwer from the pros thanks !!

I'm not a dump trucker, but I don't see any reason why you can't. I've seen several B-model dumps still working, around here in the Charlottesville area, and one in Ohio not long ago. And there was a B-model tri-axle log truck in Amherst a while back, still totin' logs over the mountain. I'd be as proud to drive one as I would any new dump truck.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

The real issues with making any old truck into a usable, daily runner are pretty much manageable.

1st. Safety is the big item, with the braking system needing to be updated to a dual system with Maxi brakes.

This doesn't take a lot, but really is important. And - it can keep the DOT somewhat out of your pocket!

The rest of the truck needs to meet standards as well. The most suspect items are usually the suspension and

steering pieces. These are really maintenance items, for any truck. But you need to be certain everything is in order - again to keep the government out of your pocket. The other safety and comfort item that comes to mind is the addition of tubeless radial rubber. The truck rides better, steers better and has overall, a safer tire and wheel combination than the multi piece rims.

2nd. Power is probably on the short side. It's strictly up to you to decide what works for you. These old trucks are usually a bit heavier than a modern, high horsepower unit. Between the weight and the slow speed, you might want to consider a power increase in the form of any one of the later Maxidyne or E-series Mack six cylinders. Then you may want to think about the transmission. Power is purely optional, as I said. It will work fine with what exists. It just may be too slow to get paid by the load. You might need hourly work!

As Tom said earlier, there are still B models running, including a really nice B-61 in Rochester, NY. That fellow has been running that truck for at least forty years! And it still gets the job done. As I understand it - a few years ago, at overhaul time, he upgraded to a newer Maxidyne engine. The truck looks great, runs great and surely doesn't cost much to keep going.

Your idea certainly has merit. If approached realistically, I think it will work out quite well.

Paul Van Scott

You can if you want but be warned, i have worked for alot of companies that won,t hire you, jus because i suppose but they want the newer shiny rigs. unless they have to put the big hook on and winch you up over a hillside that you can,t stand up on. that is just from my 30 plus yrs from playing in the dirt, good luck either way

yeah willys, I use a 61 B-61 single axle to move a dozer around jobs 2 or 3 times a week, its like vanscott said though, I spent quite a bit after i bought it to upgrade to tubeless rims and tires and other things to pass DOT. It is definitely slower and probably a little more work driving it, but i love driving it cause it takes me back to younger days,,LOL. My situation is a different than yours though, hauling dirt daily. My truck had gone through a frame off restoration before i bought it, but it still takes a lot more maintenance than a newer truck, always seems to be some lil something to fix, seems that way anyway, but i enjoy it,,,,good luck,,,randy

Here again, I don't earn a living with mine, but use it every weekend to pull my race trailer. It's been three states away without a hiccup or breakdown. Go through the essentials and it will last a lifetime(again).

Aug28_0002.jpg

My friend jokes about having me pull a bucket for him, but doubt that will ever happen. Like mentioned, only 180hp will make "per load" money very slim by the end of the day.

Oct03_0001.jpg

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"