Shop Reconfiguration:

Rob

Got a question for you guys: I'm reconfiguring my shop and trying to come up with a new layout for stall width. Got to make room for some "newer" large equipment recently purchased and have always wanted a dedicated tool crib/room for the larger shop items. I've spent the past couple of days wondering a couple of different things like; What the hell did I keep that for? and the classic; What the hell is that for??; followed closely by; What the hell did I buy that for?? This is of course all at the constant reassurance and confidence instilling speech by my wife that is something like: If you had half a brain in that flat topped skull of yours, you would remember!!! Now you know why I'm so sensitive.

Do you think 12 feet in width per stall at 25 feet in depth is enough for a tractor or medium straight truck? Using the above mentioned sizing, I can get five stalls on one side wall with a nine ft. wide tool room in the center, and four stalls on the other sidewall. This would leave no real extra room in the main shop, but I still have the 50ft.X100ft. addition out back waiting to be erected for covered storage.

Of course if I were to pack nine trucks inside there would really be no place to work except in the open aisle down the center of the building which is 18ft. wide. I don't really consider that an option as I'm pretty bad about picking up after myself now that I don't have the retail trade through the shop.

You guys that spin wrenches would know if this is large enough and it must be kept in perspective that shop tools need a place to store, along with large items removed. A basic rule of thumb with an auto body shop is two stalls per repair, but the stalls are 10ft. in width.

Thanks,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I am not sure 25' will be deep enough for a tractor or staight truck. My shop is 40' deep and I wish i had made it 50' deep. I would think that you would need a minimum of 30' and still be able to tilt the hood and walk around truck. My two cents. Good luck. doug

I am not sure 25' will be deep enough for a tractor or staight truck. My shop is 40' deep and I wish i had made it 50' deep. I would think that you would need a minimum of 30' and still be able to tilt the hood and walk around truck. My two cents. Good luck. doug

Hi Doug, mine is 70' wide and 100' deep. I did set it up for cars at 25' deep, 10' wide stalls with the 18' center aisle. It actually worked pretty good but the trucks are longer of course. I can back all the way into a stall now and have plenty of room to open a hood but it protrudes into the aisle. Working by myself, or with a single helper this will not be a problem.

Thanks,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

12' wide stalls will be tight, if you are going to have walls on each side? My B sits in a 12x24 stall and believe me....you're big ol belly won't fit around it. I have to suck it up and slip around sideways to get around the truck. The truck being roughly 8ft wide only gives you 2ft on each side to move. Not alot if you need to move parts around. For just parking, fine. Working on will be a pain. If you are just talking "lines on the floor stalls", then will not be a problem.

A garage is NEVER big enough, period! I'd have to shuffle around to work on my stuff if it was in an AIRPORT hanger :wacko:

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

12' wide stalls will be tight, if you are going to have walls on each side? My B sits in a 12x24 stall and believe me....you're big ol belly won't fit around it. I have to suck it up and slip around sideways to get around the truck. The truck being roughly 8ft wide only gives you 2ft on each side to move. Not alot if you need to move parts around. For just parking, fine. Working on will be a pain. If you are just talking "lines on the floor stalls", then will not be a problem.

A garage is NEVER big enough, period! I'd have to shuffle around to work on my stuff if it was in an AIRPORT hanger :wacko:

Mine is never big enough either. I'm getting rid of a lot of automobile items that have been "saved" and a lot of room is becomming available. I don't have walls and the 12' figure is just a reference. It takes about 1.5 stalls to work on a car and this ordeal will probably be about the same but the shop equipment is larger, as are the parts. If I had walls to deal with I would not be able to get by the truck as I'm bigger than 24" in diameter as it is. All of my trucks take up at least 24' of a stall but I'm looking to use the building for a different purpose than it was purpose built for. Don't want to modify the property because when I retire from the job, do not plan to stay in this locale. Multiple overhead doors on a long sidewall would be great but really not an option to me. Once the addition is erected, I won't have many problems as storage will be available.

If I just could bring myself to let things sit outside and deteriorate naturally all would be normal. You prolly realize that me and normal would not a harmonious relationship however.

I'm just searching for ideas at this point. My paint room is much too small to routinely do trucks so that may be demolished and another built in the storage area. It has it's own heat source so could operate when needed only.

This in itself would gain another stall area. When I relocate one of the surface mount car lifts, another stall space opens up.

There is all kinds of room to be had. I've just not been in that mode for a number of years. I designed, purchased, erected, and wired this building myself and it is purpose built. Thought I'd want to work cars until I passed but with the body shop having served it's purpose, my priorities have changed. I could either sell the property, or do what I want and have postponed for several years: Restore trucks; (sick, ain't I)?

Rob

Mine is never big enough either. I'm getting rid of a lot of automobile items that have been "saved" and a lot of room is becomming available. I don't have walls and the 12' figure is just a reference. It takes about 1.5 stalls to work on a car and this ordeal will probably be about the same but the shop equipment is larger, as are the parts. If I had walls to deal with I would not be able to get by the truck as I'm bigger than 24" in diameter as it is. All of my trucks take up at least 24' of a stall but I'm looking to use the building for a different purpose than it was purpose built for. Don't want to modify the property because when I retire from the job, do not plan to stay in this locale. Multiple overhead doors on a long sidewall would be great but really not an option to me. Once the addition is erected, I won't have many problems as storage will be available.

If I just could bring myself to let things sit outside and deteriorate naturally all would be normal. You prolly realize that me and normal would not a harmonious relationship however.

I'm just searching for ideas at this point. My paint room is much too small to routinely do trucks so that may be demolished and another built in the storage area. It has it's own heat source so could operate when needed only.

This in itself would gain another stall area. When I relocate one of the surface mount car lifts, another stall space opens up.

There is all kinds of room to be had. I've just not been in that mode for a number of years. I designed, purchased, erected, and wired this building myself and it is purpose built. Thought I'd want to work cars until I passed but with the body shop having served it's purpose, my priorities have changed. I could either sell the property, or do what I want and have postponed for several years: Restore trucks; (sick, ain't I)?

Rob

( YES ) :D you are. :lol: