Lowboy Tires:

Rob

Is there much of a call for 14.5" lowboy tires? Getting ready to build a trailer and want the lowest profile deck I can get. I remember seeing a tag trailer with 14 ply 8R-14.5 "Lowboy Special" trailer tires but it was a few years old. They were Dayton brand tires.

Thanks,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Is there much of a call for 14.5" lowboy tires? Getting ready to build a trailer and want the lowest profile deck I can get. I remember seeing a tag trailer with 14 ply 8R-14.5 "Lowboy Special" trailer tires but it was a few years old. They were Dayton brand tires.

Thanks,

Rob

I do not know.

I'll ax Paul.

If there's anything Rob don't know, he do.

Oh..hey Rob...never mind.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

8 x 14.5 are those mobile home mover tires on the miniature Dayton style rims aren't they?

No. Mobile home tires are branded for that usage only and limited to 45mph. I used to move mobile homes and the tires are 1/2 the weight, and the rims are less than that of true lowboy usage tires and rims.

You don't want to use those pieces of shit for any other purpose than their design criteria neither. I moved one home and tore the center out of the rim at the welds. I broke the tire down, and rewelded it alongside the highway with my portable welder that I carried on the truck/tractor. Remouted the tire and off I went.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

That must be why those mobile home movers keep a whole stack of spares along with them all the time.

And a pile of lumber to roll one axle/tire up onto to lift the other. No jack needed that way. I used to move three to four brand new ones a week in the early 80's and went through at least one tire per week most times. They are terrible at durability. I carried two spares with me in a rack every trip, and an electric impact that I'd run off my welder.

Rob

Those tires are designed for the one purpose, delivery. I also have seen people that put them a trailer thinking that "They held up a house" and learned that longevity isn't in the design.

#1 on A-model registry

If I drink because of work, why can't I drink at work?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Rob,

How low do you want to go? From what I remember you wanted to make a drop deck, correct? How about 215/75R17.5 tires? Dual load is 4540 pounds which will allow you to use an axle upward of 18K in capacity. They are a hair over 30 inches in diameter so if you really engineer the deck you can keep it under 40 inches high, maybe even lower with some tricks.

Two 18K axles gives you 36k capacity, couple that with a single axle tractor will give you a 60K GCW. And You could also gross out at 80K if loaded right with a tandem, some serious hauling capacity.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

And You could also gross out at 80K if loaded right with a tandem, some serious hauling capacity.

.....and he might even be able to put something on the trailer, in addition to the weight of the truck + Rob in the driver's seat, without being over 80k.

lol.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Hi David, thanks for the tip. I will call them to see if they are available in radial construction.

Rob

Hey Rob,

How low do you want to go? From what I remember you wanted to make a drop deck, correct? How about 215/75R17.5 tires? Dual load is 4540 pounds which will allow you to use an axle upward of 18K in capacity. They are a hair over 30 inches in diameter so if you really engineer the deck you can keep it under 40 inches high, maybe even lower with some tricks.

Two 18K axles gives you 36k capacity, couple that with a single axle tractor will give you a 60K GCW. And You could also gross out at 80K if loaded right with a tandem, some serious hauling capacity.

Hi Thad, if I do build the trailer that is the size I plan to go with. I have four new 17.5 open center rims that a guy gave me but no tires. I can't remember the diameter of the 14.5 tires but do know they are smaller yet. I do want to go with radial constrution if at all possible.

The low profile is important as I plan to make the trailer a traveling axle. I have all the hydraulic items to make this work including the cylinders. Just don't think I've got the time readily available to build it right now. Needing a trailer before the end of the year so may just purchase something to sell later when mine is built.

Thanks,

Rob

.....and he might even be able to put something on the trailer, in addition to the weight of the truck + Rob in the driver's seat, without being over 80k.

lol.

It would help immensely to rid myself of the counterbalance weight I've installed on the rt. side of the cab so it rides level when I drive; But that's a whole different story.....

Ps: The sauce is very high in calorie content. I've put on a few pounds since Thursday.

Rob