Hawthorne Heavy Haulers From Philadelphia

I am looking for some/any information on the Hawthorne Heavy Hauling company that used to operate out of Philadelphia. They had some really heavy trucks including several LMSWL's and they were all sold at auction some years ago. Does anyone know when that auction occurred? Is there anyone from the original Hawthorne family still alive? Any photos available? Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

John

http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/index.php?act...ost&id=4825

Don't know them but I think they might know

Jim: Thanks for that. I think Paul Matthews posted that ad. One of those heavy haul tractors is still in pieces rusting away in an open lot in PA. I believe there were 3 of these trucks numbered 100, 200 and 300. Number 200 is clearly visible in the ad. One truck was cut up and sold for scrap when scrap steel was $500/ton. That leaves one more and I'll have a lok at that truck in the next few weeks.

Regards,

John

Paul Mathews bought two of those at Hawthornes' sale. He drove one and trailered the other one to the Gerhart show right after he bought them. The one with the big radiator seemed to be a pretty decent truck, He drove it and I followed him from Gap to Lititz.

Other than the fact it is completely disassembled, what I remenber about the truck, It will make a really impressive finished truck.

See my Flickr photostream page

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96692978@N05/

I think the auction was in the mid 80's.We had an excavating company from Phila. and we used some of their trucks on a job we were doing back in 1979.They would never be able to operate in today's time like they did back in there haydays.The only thing they did better than tear down buildings was to party.We had one of there mechinic working for us until he retired.Some of the stories he would.

I think the auction was in the mid 80's.We had an excavating company from Phila. and we used some of their trucks on a job we were doing back in 1979.They would never be able to operate in today's time like they did back in there haydays.The only thing they did better than tear down buildings was to party.We had one of there mechinic working for us until he retired.Some of the stories he would.

I'll post some photos in the gallery of number 200 taken last year just before Roger Gerhart's show in Lititz. You decide how much work might be involved in bringing this truck back to life.

John

I'll post some photos in the gallery of number 200 taken last year just before Roger Gerhart's show in Lititz. You decide how much work might be involved in bringing this truck back to life.

John

I have posted some photos in the gallery of #200. I would like to hear those stories.

Regards,

John

I was at the sale when those trucks were sold. There was a lot of respectful talk about the man that drove that truck for most of its life. Seems he was somewhat of a "legend" for the way he kept the truck and handled it.

I guess you know that Roger Gerhart has a cable operated Rogers "I" beam trailer that came from the same place, although it appears that a "hat box" was added under the gooseneck so it could be used with tractors with a lower fifth wheel height.

Dave Igou

See my Flickr photostream page

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96692978@N05/

I was at the sale when those trucks were sold. There was a lot of respectful talk about the man that drove that truck for most of its life. Seems he was somewhat of a "legend" for the way he kept the truck and handled it.

I guess you know that Roger Gerhart has a cable operated Rogers "I" beam trailer that came from the same place, although it appears that a "hat box" was added under the gooseneck so it could be used with tractors with a lower fifth wheel height.

Dave Igou

Dave:

Yes, we know about Roger's I-Beam Hawthorne trailer. I have a call into him about the auction-I am assuming he is one of the few guys that was there but have not heard from him yet. Perhaps he is on vacation enjoying some well-deserved time off.

Best regards,

John

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...