Jump to content

mattb73lt

Big Dog
  • Content Count

    218
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    12

Everything posted by mattb73lt

  1. Radiator Monday. It's complete, just need to modify a bracket for the shutters. I'll tighten everything again before it goes in. I'll leak check it when the weather warms too.
  2. Almost 20 years of gathering up the shop equipment!!
  3. Plus I got a little done tonight after work. Back side complete, shutters tomorrow.
  4. I used one for a while, very noisy. Had to wear ear plugs or muffs to concentrate. Plus, it's hard to regulate the temp. This setup is great, turn it on set the temp, turn it off and walk away.
  5. I now have a "Hot Dawg" heater mounted to the ceiling above my glass bead cabinet. Heats up the shop very quickly and pretty cheap to run. Even when it's frigid out it works well. Runs on propane. Started off with a wood stove that was there when I bought the place years ago. Too much mess and work with it, plus the hazard. Really like this heater, come home turn it on, go inside change go back out and it's warm enough to work.
  6. I do it out of reflex, you leave a room, you turn off the lights. The nights I've come home to find every light in the house blazing away only to find one person home!!
  7. Have to work this weekend, so barn time is limited. But got some hours in Friday night on the radiator. I forgot how complex this one is in terms of assembly. I took this apart quite some time ago for inspection and to get a new core for it. Had to send several pieces out for some repairs and welding. I swapped out all the hardware for stainless steel. When I opened the boxes I found a receipt from 2002!! Where the hell did that time go? Seems like a short time ago I ordered it. Any way, it's getting done now.
  8. It's super high tech- a 20" box fan in the back window, sometimes a second one in the next window. Works OK, unless it's windy. Saturday the wind spun it backwards and the blew it out of the sill. Had to close it all up, so there was a little more mess in the shop. I've been using my smaller gun on these parts, my 1 qt. gun would put out a lot more overspray.
  9. Suzio has some really nice stuff. Their yard in Meriden is packed with old L and B mixers, and a lot of other stuff. Amazing!
  10. More primer and paint!! Getting a lot of this tedious little stuff done while the weather keeps me inside. Etch primed all the transmission and radiator pieces. Painted the radiator tanks silver, after etch priming. Did all the interior areas silver where you can't reach, to cover the raw aluminum to prevent corrosion, the exterior surfaces will be polished.
  11. For some reason I can't load photos tonight. It did come out nice, though. I'll try later.
  12. Color!! Finished the top covers and got everything sealed up and re-gasketed. Primed it with etching primer and just finished the second coat.
  13. I thought of making it out of three separate pieces, probably would have been faster., then welding it together. I was concerned about the strength of doing so and having it fail later. I originally thought of making it 3/8" thick, but opted to go to 1/2" as I proceded. It was also the challenge to design and fabricate it that really motivated me to take this path. Having a Bridgeport in the shop and the background to use it helps a lot. Biggest thing though, I'm having a ton of fun putting this truck back on the road.
  14. I'm trying to make some concessions to improving the truck while I'm restoring it, like the spin on filters. Another is converting to an alternator. Picked up a 100 Amp Delco that was new, but searched high and low for a bracket with no luck. Drew one up and found a $10, 12 lb. piece of scrap at the local steel yard. Thought this would be a quick project, but it took two days to whittle it down to under two lbs. to a working bracket. But, it's done. A snowed in Winter weekend helped, too.
  15. On to the transmission. Rebuilt this in 2005, bearings,seals. Replaced the bell housing with a steel one, the original was cracked and was welded and cracked again, when I got it. Working on the clutch linkages now. All the pivot points are egged out from use. Welded them up yesterday and remachined the ends to tighten everything up. Just have to finish them and the top covers before paint.
  16. Kenny was a great guy. Amazing math wiz, he could do axle ratios in his head. He always kept that tractor spotless. Matt ended up with most of Kenny's stuff, '65 B-81 Dump and a unrestored B-61 tractor. I made several trips with him and the other guys from CT when I first started restoring trucks. He was always good company.
  17. About 95% done with the 220 after today. Just a few things to get/finish, then on to the transmission for paint.
  18. Final round of paint today for the Cummins. Getting all the bits and pieces painted that I removed to paint the block was a lot more tedious than painting the block.
  19. Love this style of the B Model, really my favorite. I have both and there's just something about the lines of the cab, high radiator, fenders and aluminum step tanks that really does it for me. It does seem that the rounded B cab was more durable, though. Maybe the rounded design took the vibrations/stress better. construction seems simpler and has less parts than the L. The L still wins it for me, more head room, slightly longer, bigger windows and really good ventilation. Three cowl vents and two back corner vents for airflow. Just a really sharp combination of both series.
  20. It's good to have the right equipment when you're fabricating/modifying things. A little machine work to modify the Cummins brackets to accept the new filters.
×
×
  • Create New...