Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rob

12v71 In A Mack Chassis:

6 posts in this topic

I've got a 12V71TT that I removed from service on a genset. It currently is set at 580 hp @ 1800 rpm with twin turbochargers, and adaptable exhaust manifolds that I could turn around for truck use. My question is this, I'm wanting to install this into some sort of Mack chassis but I have no experience with diesel trucks other than a B model, so what chassis will allow enough clearance, and allow a large enough radiator for cooling? I plan to show and haul my B61 tandem tractor, and my AB dump most of the time, but the truck probably will not get much more use than this. I know this engine well as I had maintained it the last 20 years it was in service at work and it is sound. What do you think of an RTO 910 transmission behind this engine? I have one that I rebuilt a couple years ago and tested in a B61 (replaced with a triplex), awaiting some destination.

Hope I don't annoy anyone with the questions as I've probably asked some of the same ones in the past but can't remember. Funny how the mind slows with age.

Rob

I know that the 12v detroit can fit in a Superliner... Fred Sanders from Ravenna oh has a pulling truck called the Silver Bullet and it is a superliner with a 12v with an allison auto behind it

The 12V71 was available in RL/RS700's and FL/FS700's,model code was 771,example,RS771LST.Don't know about the fit of the twin turbo's though.I think I would go a little heavier duty than a 910 tranny,at least a 12513,14613 would probably be best.

Thats what I was thinking you would need a 13 speed to keep those rpms wound

We had a similar genset engine here that ended up repowering a KW that had a 12v71 originaly, the blowers didnt present any real problems, it would have looked cool, with the exhaust pipes exiting the side panels though.

nig :chili: