raw fuel coming out of exhaust

Help I bought this 2001 cx613 E7 427 last August. I noticed a small what I though was an oil leak making the top of the air compressor wet over time. I can wash it and it takes about 3000 miles and it has the compressor wet again.

I have run over 50000 miles it runs and pulls good and is doing over 6.75 mpg but it pulls with the 2012 Cummins 485 that the other drivers are running with the same basic gearing.

I decided I would check out the leak a little closer and see if I could tighten a line or something to stop it when I found the fuel was leaking from between the head at the number 4 Cylinder and running down the side of the block and onto the air compressor.

A body got any idea what I might be up against and what it might take to fix it? Should I keep running it or park it until I can get it into a shop.

Bob

Bob Gil

If it an't a Mack could it really be a truck???

are you sure it is fuel. The studs for the exhaust manifold are drilled thru and has an oil galley behind it.

May just have to replace stud. Put some hi-temp RTV on before install

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

Hatcity is correct, on all ETECH style cylinder heads the bottom exhaust manifold bolt holes are drilled into the push tube galley. So oil can leak past the threads to the outside. Pull the stud out and put some good RVT ( we use the gray Mack RVT) on it and reinstall. Always use the correct stud and not a bolt or longer stud, we have seen people put a long bolt in and it hits the push tube and causes a engine miss.

Well with closer examanation it looks like it might be Sray of fuel coming from the injector And blowing up around the manaflod. I cleaned it good and am going to drive it a little more and see where the fuel is coming from.

It is fuel not oil.

Bob

post-28-0-17836300-1426285127_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Bob Gil

We had one of those EUPs leaking. Made a mess like that. Series of O-rings where it goes into the block.

Is replacing these o ring a big deal?

Are there any parts that will need timed or relined up if I pull the injector off to replace the o rings.

Bob Gil

Make sure you get NEW hold down bolts. and torque properly. need an allen wrench

May have to bar engine over to get EUP in place (cam may be up)

other than that, EZPZ

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the in put.

Last time I was home I replaced the fitting on the return line and the hose end and it seamed to stop the fuel leak.

But after 2000 miles is ca see where there is an oil leak as was stated coming from one of the exhaust studs. Guess that will get addressed next time home.

Thanks again for the post here

Bob Gil