One More Load And I Prolly Wouldda Blown My Top...

RowdyRebel

Hauling rock into this construction site. They had about 3 other trucks on the job too, which was the perfect number...make a turn and usually would be back as the truck ahead was finishing up dumping. Anyway, there were 2 o/o's and 2 company trucks. The other o/o was in a cornbinder, and the company trucks were 1 freightshaker and 1 petercar. My Mack was the only one without full lockers, but I got that gold bulldog on the hood so I wasn't worried. Anyway, the cornbinder got stuck first load and needed a tug in to get unloaded, then had to be pulled out when empty. I got MOST of the way in, then the danged bulldozer got in my way so I had to lift...momentum stopped, and I was stuck needing a pull the rest of the way in. I unhooked before I dumped, and I drove out under my own power. Company trucks didn't fare any better.

Second go-around, cornbinder got stuck again, so when he was empty he called it quits. I got in there, and the danged bulldozer almost got in my way again. I had started easing out of it enough (so that I wouldn't run him over) that I was lugging, so I dropped it in the low hole before I lost ALL momentum and powered my way in the rest of the way. I was pretty impressed, considering the tires were sunk into the soft dirt up past the bottom of the rims. I dumped off, and drove out under my own power. I was loaded and nearly back to the job before I saw the 1st company truck making his way out again...I guess he got hung up good enough that the bulldozer couldn't even pull him...had to dump it where he sat. I got to wait for the next company truck to get pulled in and out again too before it was my turn to dump again.

So, I start in on a path I know I can make it in on...one going around the bulldozer stopped on the side...and as I'm getting closer to them, they flag me over behind the dozer. :angry: So, I pull up thinking he would start moving, but they decided they were just going to pull us in and out. I said no...as long as I can move under my own power, I'm not getting pulled, but of course by then I was stopped...and stuck. So, they pull me in...and of course where they pull me I WOULDN'T have made it (guess they wanted to make me think I would have gotten stuck)...but that's not where I was going to drive in the first place :rolleyes: I could tell by the way it looked that it wasn't as hard as the ground a little bit off to the right. By the time I got in there, I was fuming mad. I got out, unhooked the tow cable, and told the bulldozer driver to get the hell out of the way. Dumped the load off, and I drove out...but of course, true to form, he was in the way again. Just as I was going to go around him, he finally got a clue and moved out of the way.

The problem was, instead of allowing trucks to roll on the packed down path, they were running the bulldozer back and forth filling in any ruts with more soft dirt...and unpacking any dirt that the truck that had just rolled through would have packed down. When a truck would sink and get stuck, instead of scraping off the soft stuff and maybe using a little rock to fill in the low spot, they filled in the ruts with more loose stuff. Every time we would get in where we were dumping, instead of keeping us in an area that's packed down, they kept moving us into more soft stuff...ground that USED to have grass before they scraped the grass off leaving only soft damp dirt. The last time in, they had us driving a good 15-20 feet west of the path we took on the first trip...a little bit each time...just enough that the other trucks were getting stuck.

All they gotta do is stay out of the way. If I'm back on the job tomorrow, I'm going to walk in and tell them that when they see this white Mack roll in, get the bulldozer the hell out of the way. I'm not going to stop unless I'm stuck, and if you are in my way, like it or not, I'm going around.

They called off the rest of the loads for the day...so I only got half of what I had hoped to get. Probably a good thing, too...because one more time dealing with that idiot bulldozer driver today and it would've been ugly.pissed.gif

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

HA HA!!! I feel your pain. they have a tracked machine stoping everyone in the mud. Go figure. Sounds like some of the guys near me. I never could understand why those operators stop a truck to have it move 10 feet to the left or right. Get in, get out, and be gone! why make it harder then it really is?

HA HA!!! I feel your pain. they have a tracked machine stoping everyone in the mud. Go figure. Sounds like some of the guys near me. I never could understand why those operators stop a truck to have it move 10 feet to the left or right. Get in, get out, and be gone! why make it harder then it really is?

Because they can!

:angry:

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Well, I get to go back there tomorrow. I'm going to let them know that if THEY stop me short of where they want it and I get stuck, I am going to dump where I sit so I can get myself out. Stay out of the way, let me get in under my own power, and ONLY if I get stuck on my own before I get in where they want it will I allow them to pull me.

It's been dry the last few days, though...so I'm really not anticipating any problems. Then again, there shouldn't have been any last time either :rolleyes:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

:lol: I don't mind....I enjoy the challenge. ANYONE can hang onto a steering wheel and keep it between the ditches on a flat stretch of interstate...I like taking semi trucks places most people would be scared to drive their pickups. That's my I bought a :mack1: The only thing that really would have made my truck any better would be if it had the Camelback suspension instead of the Mack air ride....but we use gauges on the suspension of the trucks and trailers (trailers have a quick-connect on the front to run a line to a gauge in the truck) when we load to get our weights close. Heck, even the drive tires I got on it bite pretty well in that soft, spongy, tacky kinda mud...

l_e062c98ea06f46298a7dd73b88b917ac.jpg

"That's my I bought a :mack1: The only thing that really would have made my truck any better would be if it had the Camelback suspension instead of the Mack air ride"

Oh that's definitely a problem when it comes to getting stuck! Air is best left to the highways and paved roads, Camel Back is the best for the dirt! Plenty of guys want that smooth ride and then start crying when they get stuck. I remember hearing Mack Air ride is nothing more than Hendrickson HAS air suspension.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

I remember hearing Mack Air ride is nothing more than Hendrickson HAS air suspension.

Yup.

Where I work, one of our International semi tractors has Hendrickson air ride, and it's exactly the same as the Mack air ride, except that the parts are all stamped with the Hendrickson logo instead of the Mack logo and Bulldog.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Yup.

Where I work, one of our International semi tractors has Hendrickson air ride, and it's exactly the same as the Mack air ride, except that the parts are all stamped with the Hendrickson logo instead of the Mack logo and Bulldog.

yes, I will second that, Hendrickson built for Mack

gallery_133_137_10125.jpg

Thanks for hearing me out.

You can have the soap box now---------JIM