1st Time Buyer

I have been owner/operator for 15 years. Looking to buy my first Mack Version CX613 460E 13spd, 3.73 Merritor rears,

L.P. 24.5 Can I get input on what to look out for in the way of problems and is what will I be seeing in fuel mileage driving 65 to 70 mph. Pulling grain trailer 80-85500 one way empty back. 150 mile rad of home.

I have been owner/operator for 15 years. Looking to buy my first Mack Version CX613 460E 13spd, 3.73 Merritor rears,

L.P. 24.5 Can I get input on what to look out for in the way of problems and is what will I be seeing in fuel mileage driving 65 to 70 mph. Pulling grain trailer 80-85500 one way empty back. 150 mile rad of home.

Guess since nobody else has replied, I'll give you my #'s...

Mine is a 2001 CH613...E7-460, 2180B (Mack 18 speed), 4.17 Mack rears with 11R24.5's. I pull both pneumatic tanks and frameless end dumps, and typically see around 5.75 to 6 mpg running mostly local. The vision is a little more aerodynamic, and my 240" wheelbase leaves a LOT of room between the back of the day cab and the front of the trailer, which they say isn't real great if you are chasing fuel economy. My loads are as close to 80K as I can get them...and if I'm a little heavy, I roll with it as long as the shipper lets me out the gate with it. I bought it last May with 260K miles on it, and it's sitting just a hair over 340K right now.

I'm not sure what all is typical...but so far:

I've replaced 2 airbags (dry-rotted, rubber cracked, started leaking) which are easy enough to check for.

Also, I had to replace the kingpins...front left was wearing out (with the tire jacked up, there was noticeable play) which lead to a wicked wobble & bounce going down the road and the steers were wearing on the inside edge.

In the transmission, there's an air cylinder...not sure what all exactly happened, but I guess my truck had an older 2-piece cylinder and the nut backed itself off, bent the shift fork, and the truck no longer would go into the low range. New part was installed...a one piece upgrade...and it's been fine ever since.

On the frame, check the cross members. Mack had a service bulletin about them cracking....the one right behind the 5th wheel (not the rear tail section...the next one forward) is the one that broke on my truck. The way they were talking, I guess people have had problems with the one right behind the cab too...but that one seems OK so far on my truck.

I also had to replace the air compressor...getting a lot of oil in the air tank and it was getting slow to build pressure.

That's the major stuff. Everything else has either been my choice to do (i.e. fenders, new 5th wheel, etc.) or the typical used-vehicle type stuff...hoses, belts, air leaks, etc...

Like I said...not sure how much of that is typical and how much is just a fluke that I got to deal with...hope it helps :thumb:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

I've got a 01 Vision 427 13spd fuller 3.70's short 22.5 I get around 6.5 pulling hopper 83-85,000 gross, I hear the ASET motors are not as good on fuel and 460's fall on there face below 1400 only real problem so far has been the plastic radiator giving up

Edited by bts-4120

I also have an 01 Vision CX-613 with the 427 E-TECH. My truck's engine is the Econodyne engine which only runs out at 1750 RPMs but I have had very good luck with it. I pull flatbed with it . About 2 months ago I got a ticket for being overweight I was 83250 gross. I was actualy thrilled by the ticket. For what ever reason my truck won't pull with a lite load for instance running back empty yesterday from conneticut the truck wouldn't hold 65 going across N.Y and PA. on I-84 then I-81. When I got the ticket I was going up to Jersey City N.J. and only had to drop one gear the whole way. The engine justs pulls better when fully loaded.

I have heard alot of bad stuff about the 460's but don't know how much is true. At 65 mph I get between 6.5 and 7.25 pulling loads that range from 20,000 to 48,000 Lbs. I hope ypr Bulldog does as good a job as mine has for me, My only suggestion would be to keep the OVERHEAD run often. OTHERWISE get ready to install a new cam. Good luck

THE GREATEST NAME IN TRUCKS

MACK TRUCKS

I have an '03 vision with a 427 and it's pre emissions and I love it. I have a buddy with an '04 460 and he has had some troubles that he has been told were the first year blues for the emissions 460's. That plastic radiator tanks seem to be a sore point. Mine has a cold leak around the top tank and his had the same trouble.......He is getting around 5.8 or so out of his 460 pulling doubles with a super 10. Doubles do eat up the fuel!!!!! I get 6.4-6.8 at 63 MPH out of my 427 with a straight 10 speed and 3.70's

My 'ol dog has a bite worse than it's bark!!!!!!!!

Ummmmm....Is this the number I dialed????????