Getting 12 Volts From 4 Six Volt Batteries.

I recently bought four six volt batteries to get my monster started and am wondering how I can hook these four to get 12 volts. I figure hooking them in series (2 of them) would make a nice jump starting setup, but would like to use all four to double my amperage. If I understand what I've read, using two 6 volts in series will give me 12 volts but doesn't increase amperage and my goal is to get 1540 cranking amps out of four 6 volt 770 amp batteries. Okay, maybe I've got too much free time on my hands but I thought I'd ask the experts here first. Can it be done?

Edited by Delaneyland

I recently bought four six volt batteries to get my monster started and am wondering how I can hook these four to get 12 volts. I figure hooking them in series (2 of them) would make a nice jump starting setup, but would like to use all four to double my amperage. If I understand what I've read, using two 6 volts in series will give me 12 volts but doesn't increase amperage and my goal is to get 1540 cranking amps out of four 6 volt 770 amp batteries. Okay, maybe I've got too much free time on my hands but I thought I'd ask the experts here first. Can it be done?

That diagram wont work, theakerstwo has the right diagram.

I can explain how to do it as well:

You have four batteries, 6 volts each. Two batteries in series will yield 12 volts. Split the batteries into two "banks", each bank of two has one batteries positive hooked to the others negative. This now gives you a 12 volt bank , as each battery has a terminal free, a positive and a negative. Now wire the two banks in parallel by wiring both of the banks positive and negatives together. You now have one big 12 volt battery bank.

Now word from the wise, before you start connecting terminals together be sure your polarity is correct. Measure with a volt meter. The current can easily melt wires and cause fires. Oh and remove any rings when wrenching battery terminals. Why? well there was a story of an electrician who had a wedding band on while wrenching the terminals. His ring was in contact with the metal wrench and he accidentally shorted a large battery bank through the wrench and his ring. The resulting short burnt his finger clean off. The wound was cauterized from the heat so reattaching it was impossible.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Just my 2 cents worth but i think burning off a finger would be slow and hurt to.

I droped a starter on my finger one time and mashed my ring. Took a hammer to it to get it off. Well my wife dont beleive that story but dont matter any way she still has me. And i still have not put it back on.glenn

glenn akers

Just my 2 cents worth but i think burning off a finger would be slow and hurt to.

I droped a starter on my finger one time and mashed my ring. Took a hammer to it to get it off. Well my wife dont beleive that story but dont matter any way she still has me. And i still have not put it back on.glenn

Back in March of 1991 I was welding overhead with my right hand, with my gloved left hanging at my side. A welding slag ball went down the glove on my left hand and welded itself to my wedding ring burning it in two. As you can imagine this got to hurting on short order.

I haven't worn a wedding ring that is metal since. I have the permanant depression of that ring in my finger. We dug the ring and charred skin out with a pair of tweezers, hurt pretty good it did.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Do this to get 12 volts from 4 6 volts.

Yep, your right. I looked at wrong last night. You guys ought to see how quickly a 1" wrench can vaporize when dropped on locomotive batteries. A goofy :wacko: former electrician at did that at work a few years back. Then he had the nerve to ask if I was going to replace his wrench.

Aren't the two diagrams essentially the same? I was looking to leave two posts free for jumper cable use and when I compared theakerstwo diagram to mine, they have the same connections, ie + to - but just routed differently. What am I missing?? Thaddeus, the way I read your post ( I think) is the way I put up my diagram, isn't it? Thanks guys for your responses....and about rings...when I was drilling, I broke the cardinal rule about rings. I got my ring caught in a pipe sling and once the sand line dragged me 25' up the derrick, it suddenly hit me not to break rules on the rig, written or spoken.

Doug

Edited by Delaneyland

Forget for a little bit about 4 battiers and now you have 2 6 volt and to make 12 v you will connect in a series. meaning one battery neg will go to other battery pos. Now on the other end of each battery you will come off with a cable from each post and that is 12 v. Run them two cables to your starter. Now take two more 6 v battiers and wire up the same way and connect to your starter like you did the other set.

glenn akers