Tip Turbine "cool Power" And Air To Air Intercooler?

run4cops

Im trying to understand how the tip turbine "cool power" concept works, and why they still dont use it today. Sure, we have air to air intercoolers... but cant you use both, making the air too cold isnt a problem is it? Im looking for a technical nitty gritty scientific explanation of how the tip turbine cooling system works, and how one could be duplicated for a smaller deisel truck. Ive been all over the internet and can't find a single diagram of the setup. Im not sure I understand why they did away with it. Thanks for the help

the tp turbine fan is the same concept as the charge air cooler there would be almost no point in cooling the air twice!The tip turbine fan trickles off a little boost preasure to run a small air driven fan that is doing the same job passing ambiant air over heated boosted air same as the charge air cooler .WHY waste the boost.The only small benifit to the

TT would be the short distance of the plumbing from the turbo to the inlet manifold vs the 6 ft of plumbing on a chassis mount.A chassis mount can be done to almost any engine in a vehicle.

Also Im not sure cause I have worked for mack for most of my life but the first charge chassis mount charge air I saw on a mack came out with the E9 engine.I beleive mack used it first weather or not they invented the idea is another story.

Up to that time no oneelse was using air to air it was always water to air.shortly after the e9 Every body started using the chassis mount cooler.

I remember the tip turbin coming out but dont know what year. I think it was the best thing invented for a engine untill chassis air. The 320 is the one that i had for awhile in a hobby truck and it had the air cooled cooler by the tip turbin plus the water cooler in it.Then i mounted a air/air cooler on it and set the fuel out at the same time and the prometer went down alot.

glenn akers

Intresting set up there theakerstwo. so that B model had an air to air,and the tip turbine with water core on that. thats alot of cooling there!!

If my motor in the RS700 was slid back a few inches i could get the air to air in front of the rad but it would be to much of a PITA to move the rad back and engine back just for the Intercooler set up.

what I notice with my tip turbine is that when im lugging around 1200 RPM in 3rd or 4th gear up an on ramp. the EGT temps climb to around 1000 Deg but as soon as the turbo starts to come alive around 1300-1400 the turbine winds up and brings the temps down to 850-900. I like the 1-2 up shift from a dead stop. First gear is to short to get the turbine going but 2nd does the trick. It sounds like twin turbos between the shits as you can hear both the turbo and turbine fan working together.

No it only has a air/air on it now. glenn

Glenn,

I have been thinking about trying to incorporate the tip turbine concept into the blower (supercharger) of my two six bits cummins. On a cool morning I run with the big dogs but by the hot afternoon it's all a dog.

:rolleyes:

Glenn,

I have been thinking about trying to incorporate the tip turbine concept into the blower (supercharger) of my two six bits cummins. On a cool morning I run with the big dogs but by the hot afternoon it's all a dog.

:rolleyes:

I found out not long ago that there was a after cooler set up for the supercharged engine and i think it was a water cooled coller. I do not think that you would help you self enough to say it helped. You are noy dealing with that much pressure so there would not be that much heat added to the intake. That is my 2 cents. I think you are dealing with the late in eventing temp efects like engine did that did not have a turbo. They would run better at night than in the day. But when the turbo came along that was not noiced as much.

glenn akers