What To Look For In A Used Mack?

Just wondering if I could get any input from the experts here about what to look for in a used Mack Vision. I haven't decided whether I will be pulling liquid bulk, dry bulk, or refuse, but it will be local/regional work. I have found several trucks in Ontario in the 2004-2005 year model range with low miles for very reasonable prices, but I am wondering how bad they are eaten up with rust. Just wondering what type of specs to look for. Also, it seems impossible to find a full blooded Vision. Why is that?

Thanks,

Jeremy

Just wondering if I could get any input from the experts here about what to look for in a used Mack Vision. I haven't decided whether I will be pulling liquid bulk, dry bulk, or refuse, but it will be local/regional work. I have found several trucks in Ontario in the 2004-2005 year model range with low miles for very reasonable prices, but I am wondering how bad they are eaten up with rust. Just wondering what type of specs to look for. Also, it seems impossible to find a full blooded Vision. Why is that?

Thanks,

Jeremy

The cabs on these trucks hold up very well, no rust issues there. Mack had some issues with chassis paint in the late '90s- early '00s don't know if any improvement has been made on later models. My 2000 CX has held up well in snow country, but I scrape & paint the frame every summer.

Most of the Visions are mutts with vendor components. Some say to save weight(Mack components are heavier). Another reason had to do with marketing. Mack wanted to make the Vision more attractive to fleets by giving them trans & rears that could be standardized with other truck brands. When I bought my truck new in 2000, Mack trans & rears were not even offered on the CX! I do dump work, so weight is a consideration, and the truck has held up well. 935,000 miles and counting on the original RoadRanger Super 10 and Spicer rears. If I had it to do over, a 13 or 18 speed and I would be totally happy with this truck. More gears is better for any kind of bulk hauling or off-road.

2004-2005 trucks will be right around 3 to 400,000 miles, so find out if the camshaft has been replaced. The E-TECH engines are notorious for that. Also a lot of these trucks have Spicer Solo clutches. If the clutch has not been replaced, it won't be long. Best to take the Solo out and throw it away. The auto adjusters work OK for about 3 to 400,000 miles, then you can't do anything but replace the clutch. Put in a good old fashioned Spicer Easy-Pedal 7-Spring, good to go another million miles.

Hope this all helps, good luck in your quest!

Hey thanks for all the info! I definitely want a 13 speed gearbox and I am also aware of the cam issues with the Etechs. I would assume if I bought from a Mack dealer they would be able to tell me if the cam had been replaced and what clutch the truck had in it.

Thanks,

Jeremy

STAY AWAY FROM MERTOR TRANSMISSIONS

Uh oh.....My CX has a Meritor 10 speed....I usually run light, less than 60,000 doubles. I don't know much about them. I am used to Fuller 13's or I just got out of a Mack 9 OD that was a reman I put in a million miles ago. What issues can you send me into a panic about?????????? :wacko:

My 'ol dog has a bite worse than it's bark!!!!!!!!

Ummmmm....Is this the number I dialed????????

• 3 weeks later...

mertor trans are junk..lot of problems with platform g electronics.

even if the cam is replaced in an e-tech has the over head been run as per dealer???

it went from 150,000 for 1st overhead to 100,000 to 50,000!!

just cause it had a cam replaced doesn't mean its good to go!

i've put 3 cams in the same truck due owner refusing to preform overheads!!!

mertor trans are junk..lot of problems with platform g electronics.

even if the cam is replaced in an e-tech has the over head been run as per dealer???

it went from 150,000 for 1st overhead to 100,000 to 50,000!!

just cause it had a cam replaced doesn't mean its good to go!

i've put 3 cams in the same truck due owner refusing to preform overheads!!!

We rarely see cam failures in my area now and there are still lots of trucks out there!

Do a valve set every so often And your good to go!Aint nothing wrong with the earlier etecks!

Eteck and egr Well lets not go there!AI engines are still fair !beleive it or not They can be made to pull and get desent milage.

But its a secret!

Hey guys, I haven't been on here in a while and didn't realize I had new posts. Thanks for the info, I agree that Meritor is not the way to go. I would love to find a fullblooded Mack, but for what I'm looking for, they just don't seem to exist. A fuller is much more common and I'm used to them. Hope everyone is doing well and staying busy in this poor economy, keeping the bills paid and so on.

Jeremy

• 2 weeks later...
Hey guys, I haven't been on here in a while and didn't realize I had new posts. Thanks for the info, I agree that Meritor is not the way to go. I would love to find a fullblooded Mack, but for what I'm looking for, they just don't seem to exist. A fuller is much more common and I'm used to them. Hope everyone is doing well and staying busy in this poor economy, keeping the bills paid and so on.

Jeremy

What are you looking for...maybe I'll sell you mine... B)

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

• 1 month later...

MAN OH MAN I'm glad I read this toppic. My 01 vision has the SOLO clutch I thought that I had been riding the clutch to much. Well now I know. Thanks to everyone for helping Jeremy and me. I knew about the cam problems and do try to keep the overhead run after the first cam in late 07. I have not replaced the clutch yet but sometimes the tranny break won't stop the tranny. Maybe now I can put a good clutch in.

MATT :SMOKIE-LFT::thumb:

Well I discovered that I probably have a broken spring in the clutch and I will have to replace it soon. I'll do like the man said and install the spicer. thanx again.

Edited by mackdaddy1911a1

THE GREATEST NAME IN TRUCKS

MACK TRUCKS

• 4 weeks later...

Jeremy

Where in Ontario are you?

I've been toying with selling mine, it's got 1.4m km, but the following was done at 1.2m, due only to a low oil pressure issue (still ran fine):

In-frame rebuild w/turbo, high flow oil pump, air/air, all hoses, clutch (NON-solo), and new tires.

Injectors and eup's done at 990k

Cam changed around 760k (updated parts, been ok since)

It's pictured in my Avatar, it's the E7 460 Etech set at 460P (487hp), Fuller RTLO16913 13 speed, DS405 3.90's, 11R22.5 Michelins.

Everything works including the keyless entry remote.

If something broke it was fixed in a timely manner

Since the pic I've put the Stainless bumper on it. (Like "Underdog's" picture in his post above)

Paint was coming off it, then I tapped a deer so I upgraded.

Since all the engine work it gets from around 5.4 us mpg, 4 axle trlr, to high 6's with a tandem. I cruise 63mph.

Just passed it's annual DOT.

Let me know if it interests you.

Rick

Edited by RixR32