20 Speed Quad Vs. 18 Speed Quad

Mack B63SX

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forum, so I'll give you some background. I have been in the process of restoring my grandfathers B63 SX self loader log truck for almost a year now. It had been in the family since the 60's and was on the verge of going to the scrap yard! So I bought the truck and have been in love with B models ever since! Pretty unusual for a 23 year old kid huh? Anyway I have gone thru the main and browny on the mack now and am almost ready to put the cab back on, two parts trucks later.

Now for my first of many stupid question, many more to follow I'm sure. The B63 had a 20 speed quad, my B75 parts truck had an 18 speed quad. So I ended up using the main from the 18 speed and the browny from the 20 speed. What do I have now? 18 or 20. Where does the difference lie? More importantly will this work?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Edited by Mack B63SX

Also, when you put the older type main box against a newer compound, there is a slight difference in the compound countershaft drive gear, you may not notice it when assembling, but when you take the truck down the road, the mismatched gears will sound like a siren!

Been there, done that, although it was a long time ago.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Also, when you put the older type main box against a newer compound, there is a slight difference in the compound countershaft drive gear, you may not notice it when assembling, but when you take the truck down the road, the mismatched gears will sound like a siren!

Been there, done that, although it was a long time ago.

A baby siren. My son has done that here with a Quad. I watched him and it looked the same. but remenber years ago the there was two series of gears . I think that is going to have to be looked up on the parts book using that 11QK#####

glenn akers

Well I made it back! You guys know as well as I do how hard it is to get anything done at Christmas time.

Anyway, the main transmission that I intend to use is Part # 284KB-584-B, Casting # 284KBK-582-B. The brownie is part # 281KB531. This main is an 18 speed, the brownie is from the 20 Speed.

The 20 Speed main is Part # 284KB-584-B. The 18 speed brownie is part # 281KB53. These two units both have some bad bearings in them. So I thought I would use the others which are in good shape. Thanks

• 3 months later...