Turbo System update

So many of you know that once again the Green Hornet 💚 is back in the shop. They're trying to figure out why it keeps blowing the "Boot" off. Well our good buddy who's a mechanic at our local Mack Dealer says they can get us a Boot,both tubes all assembled with the original pressed on bands. Also the new boots have a small groove I'm them that's supposed to help them stay on better by settling around the bumps or however you want to call them on the tubes. He also agreed that the charge air cooler may in fact be messed up or plugged. So hopefully soooon Boys she'll be fixed!!!

• Like 1

A mate of mine had a similar experience, but with radiator hoses popping off on his KW T90???

Anyway with the higher horsepower jobbies that are hauling road trains etc the radiator "sort of hangs off the front of the motor" his description

This for heavy duty type of trucks and keeps things better aligned when every thing is twisting etc under load

The bolts were broken or maybe fallen out, but I'm pretty sure he told me the bolts were busted

This allowed enough misalignment under load for hoses to slowly work off the pipes 

A picture of said truck

received_288806137602945.thumb.jpeg.c1b5db14250d33136a6af0f818e620da.jpeg

Dunno if this of any help, but it makes for a yarn

Happy days

Paul 

• Like 1

junk??  thats a CH/CX cab..  what year is it..  Hope it has 3 pedals and a stick,,  just sayin'..  :) 

I anit pickin on the Green Hornet,  but how often is the spare truck in the shop?  Layin' down like a Lazy Dog?  

1 hour ago, Joey Mack said:

junk??  thats a CH/CX cab..  what year is it..  Hope it has 3 pedals and a stick,,  just sayin'..  :) 

I anit pickin on the Green Hornet,  but how often is the spare truck in the shop?  Layin' down like a Lazy Dog?  

No it's an M Drive Automatic. A 2014.maybe? It's junk to me because it acts weird and today the A/C went out. I'm hoping the Hornet won't be doing any laying around here soon

19 minutes ago, fjh said:

The M stands for Magic! Joey ! Whats not to like/! 🙄

In my (actual professional for once) opinion, the M stands for MONEY! Money out of the owner's account and into the dealerships. I still won't pick on the CHU much, because I'm a nice guy, and I like the looks of them, but I can't help but make fun of the mDrives.

We see the blue boot failure all the time, sold at least one job yesterday actually. We usually replace the press-on boots with spring clamps. It usually stops the boots from coming off. I also don't use Automann boots even if the OEM is unavailable, we noticed they were larger in diameter then OE, and they blew off immediately the first time we used them. We have another aftermarket option that seems to do well, I think it's S&S Truck Parts? 

33 minutes ago, The Heinz said:

In my (actual professional for once) opinion, the M stands for MONEY! Money out of the owner's account and into the dealerships. I still won't pick on the CHU much, because I'm a nice guy, and I like the looks of them, but I can't help but make fun of the mDrives.

We see the blue boot failure all the time, sold at least one job yesterday actually. We usually replace the press-on boots with spring clamps. It usually stops the boots from coming off. I also don't use Automann boots even if the OEM is unavailable, we noticed they were larger in diameter then OE, and they blew off immediately the first time we used them. We have another aftermarket option that seems to do well, I think it's S&S Truck Parts? 

I was at the shop getting some oil  for the Case yesterday ! There was a boot and cut off pex clamps sitting on the the parts mans desk! ( Warranty )  He said all the new trucks have been coming in with proper clamps and boots lately ! Whats old is new again!  😂  The pex experiment didn't work well I guess! 🙄 We been cutting the pex bands off since they were introduced HUNKS of Shit ! Cash Grab By the Volvo Turds! A failed experiment with the public! That said All the Manufacturers went this route  for a bit! not just Volvo ! Cummins  did it freightliner! Pacar  bla bla bla! Anything to save time building the units Trucks or machines! Im sure Cat was doing it on the equipment too! anything to save a buck assembly wise just like the push on air fittings !  anything time saving to Make More Bucks! until it starts costing them to much for warranty repairs! then they auto correct!🤣

47 minutes ago, fjh said:

I was at the shop getting some oil  for the Case yesterday ! There was a boot and cut off pex clamps sitting on the the parts mans desk! ( Warranty )  He said all the new trucks have been coming in with proper clamps and boots lately ! Whats old is new again!  😂  The pex experiment didn't work well I guess! 🙄 We been cutting the pex bands off since they were introduced HUNKS of Shit ! Cash Grab By the Volvo Turds! A failed experiment with the public! That said All the Manufacturers went this route  for a bit! not just Volvo ! Cummins  did it freightliner! Pacar  bla bla bla! Anything to save time building the units Trucks or machines! Im sure Cat was doing it on the equipment too! anything to save a buck assembly wise just like the push on air fittings !  anything time saving to Make More Bucks! until it starts costing them to much for warranty repairs! then they auto correct!🤣

We've been seeing a massive influx of warranty work here, and we don't sell too many new trucks since Covid... Every manufacturer has been like this: cars, light duty trucks, heavy duty, etc. I can only assume that it's a combination of a rushed production with fewer employees, terrible part quality thanks to China and other manufacturing setbacks thanks to Covid, and the general consequences of the monopolized, heavily Federally controlled, corporation hellscape America has become. I don't dislike new vehicles just because they're new and scary, but because I know 100% they are not made with consumer comfort/quality in mind. It's all about the bottom line that only benefits people at the top. Eerily similar to the coal and mill industries of the early 1900's: You're just a number to us, your wellbeing is of no concern.

• Like 1

Apparently they have sold quite a few trucks here the problem being getting there hands on them! Only thing they could get built quickly was the EV garbage stuff! they sold 12 of these to our regional Garbage unit!   Can't wait to see how this disaster unfolds! 🙄 They will likly have to buy a back up genorator truck to bail these out when they Dis charge on the pile of garbage! How do you tow an EV Garbage Truck???

57 minutes ago, fjh said:

Apparently they have sold quite a few trucks here the problem being getting there hands on them! Only thing they could get built quickly was the EV garbage stuff! they sold 12 of these to our regional Garbage unit!   Can't wait to see how this disaster unfolds! 🙄 They will likly have to buy a back up genorator truck to bail these out when they Dis charge on the pile of garbage! How do you tow an EV Garbage Truck???

We had the local EV demo truck get towed in to have almost $7k worth of parts ALONE in recalls. All of it required a team direct from Mack to help our Uptime guy to accomplish. Brand new and needed that much work. Also has worse range than my 5.7 Hemi with a lead foot. 

I've ridden in an Anthem with an mDrive before and I'll say it's an amazing thing to feel the truck shift like a manual by itself. The problem is they don't seem to hold up very well. We see a lot of internal failure from the control housing taking out an entire gear. No fault of the driver or anything, the forks just jam up or something and there it goes with much grinding. 

Just don't be like one company here that destroyed the clutch and transmission on a brand new Mack. Driver was putting it in reverse while still moving and God knows what else to do so. Not warranty!! 

27 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

Go Get it tiger !!  You are a Patient Man !!  and Dedicated too.. 

Yeah it's all in how you look at things I guess. I mean I had a spare rig to roll with while it was down and it's basically going to be brand new with all the new parts!! I mean mechanic found a fuel leak and got it fixed today so....I figure down the road it would have been a major issue at some point. It's just nice to be back in my rig doing what I've always loved doing for the past 18yrs. 😌 

• Like 1