E6 inconsistent knock

Lukasswaziek

Question

Just bought a "new" truck, an 81 with an e6-350 and I'm starting to use it, I have been hearing an unusual knock in the front of the motor at idle, it sounds almost like two marbles hitting each other, or a hard wood block being hit, and it is inconsistent, or it makes noise at random intervals. Not a constant repeating noise. I first thought it could be a bad harmonic balancer so I replaced it, but no change. Is it possibly a fuel knock? It doesn't seem like it is because I can only hear it right in the front of the engine, possibly the geartrain. I don't want to go too long and destroy an engine, but I also don't need to tear it apart if it's minor. Help would be appreciated 

Edited by Lukasswaziek

8 answers to this question

If the engine has an AMBC fuel pump You could try  and extra Gasket under the fuel transfer pump ! The little pump in the main pump tend to put side thrust on the pump cam and Can change the timing on number one cyl as the bearings wear! 

just something to try! 🙄