New engine for GM's new medium truck

kscarbel2

Well, maybe.  I really don't think an 8.3L Duramax is slated for GM's heavy duty pickup line.  It just does not make sense as if GM is looking to increase towing capacity the current Duramax is not the limiting factor.  It's the chassis and brakes.  That having been said, they are pushing a 35,000# GCW now, how much heavier would GM want to go?  That having been said, the only 2 secenarios I can see are #1, GM needs to go to an 8.3L Duramax to maintain current 6.6L Duramax H.P./torque ratings while meeting 2025 CARB (and future EPA) diesel emissions regulations, or #2, an 8.3L Duramax would be for Navistar or Isuzu class 6-7 commercial trucks.  Also keep in mind there was a rumored 8L+ GAS engine under development a few years ago for commercial trucks........

Edited by RoadwayR

Maybe it would be like the 7.6 Duramax they had for awhile in box trucks and Topkicks. Like you said the chassis is the main limiting factor so why bother unless they are bringing back the Topkick or similar chassis with air brakes. 

I've seen pickups and suburbans with the 8.1 vortec but have never driven or towed with one. Maybe they'll bring that back too...

i dont know.why they would think they need to build any bigger these guys are already blowing my door off on the hills...with heavy campers,,,,but im sure they would impress those that always have to have the best...bob

• 1 month later...